How to word this for my visitors?
    I have a site that I used to sell items and then have them dropshipped. Sales were very low and then I lost a vendor.

I converted the site to an affiliate site with product images, etc for a couple of merchants.

I have had a few visitors contact me asking things like "How do I order from your website?" and "I get an error when I click on something, it's taking me to somebody else's website."

My website has the word "store" in the url, so people are assuming that I am selling the products.

I am receiving a surge in traffic and an increase in these types of questions. What is the best way to communicate to my visitors that they can't actually order from me, but go ahead and order from the other websites?

Since your business model has changed, how about communicating that to your customers/visitors? I'd put together a separate page where I would explain how what I am doing now is better for them than what I used to do, what my future plans are (e.g.: adding more merchants, implementing a comparison shopping solution, etc), and how it is secure (and not an "error") when they are redirected to "somebody else's website".

Geno

How's this?

Need help?

This website is supported by two companies that advertise their xxxxxxxxx products on this website.

Clicking on any product on this website, will take you to their respective website for you to purchase.

At one time we actually sold the items ourselves, but problems with vendors and the availability of products led us to take a different approach. Now we help two other companies promote their xxxxxxxxxx merchandise, and in exchange we are compensated for the business we send to them.

Not bad.

If you've had a personal experience (preferably as a customer) with these companies, it may be good to mention it too. Personal references often work/sell much better than "references for money"... For instance, if you carefully hand-picked these merchant sites, thoroughly evaluated (and maybe even "test drove") them and their products, it'd be good to mention that here, I think.

Geno

Thank you for your input. I have reworded it some and removed the "monetized" portion.

My pleasure. It'd be interesting to hear how other affiliates handle situations like this.

Geno

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread