Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I got started with CJ not long ago. I find sales a very slow. Can some one please help me with what products they find are good sellers.

Seymourab Homepage

Sales have been slow the last 10 days so give it a week or two after labor day ?

I don't think anyone will tell you what their good sellers are.

If they did you would go make a lot of pages that would compete for the same buyers and then no one would have a good seller. It is just something you must figure out for yourself.

Follow your own interests at firsts and find good sellers there. It is much easier to sell something you know about and are interested in.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Ssanf is right.
    Nobody will give you a list of merchants that work for them outright.
    If you take a look at a lot of the back posts tons of people have already posted their thoughts good and bad about a lot of merchants.
    Also, keep in mind although a merchant may not convert for you,they may do great for someone else. It all comes down to the site, promotion and ad copy. Everyone is different.

ABW Ambassador
    shhhhhhhhhhh secret....

quote:
    "If you take a look at a lot of the back posts tons of people have already posted their thoughts good and bad about a lot of merchants."

There's the best advice...

Fred

After all the reading and research you gotta go with your intuition, commonly known as gut.

Thanks for those tips GUYS. You said a bundle.

Another thought hit me though. We are all selling more or less from the same pool of products. It the site that draws the traffic not the products that you are selling. That's a by product of your site even it it is really your main purpose of being. I cant see how knowing what works for some one else will hurt you. Maybe I am naive. Just a newbie. Peoplesound pays 50 cents per lead and is one of my best sellers. No sales from Peoplesound as yet though. What do you think about that.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    We may all be selling from the same pool of products but there can be major differences.
    Difference in site styles, design, and ad copy all play a big part.
    A lot of sites with a branding aspect also tend to do better than others.
    Having a mailing list if you have the right audience can also prove to be a great moneymaker if you also send them information that they are looking for frequently, and not always ads.
    Basically, you have to find what works for you thru testing and more testing. No one ever said it's easy but the rewards are well worth it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

quote:
    I cant see how knowing what works for some one else will hurt you.

It won't you...but...

What people are afraid of is this: I announce to the world that I've discovered a lovely little niche merchant that converts really well. And I'm top of Google for relevant search terms.

50 affiliate geniuses say "thank you very much" and go off and whip out a few sites or pages targeted at the same merchant and product group.

Three months later, I'm now on page 3 of the Google search results and getting no visitors.

I'm exaggerating, but the principle is correct.

Whether that really happens is another question, but many people just won't take the risk.

Only yesterday, I found a website that had stolen all the content from three of my highest-performing sites. Now they didn't know how to make that content work, fortunately, but it just shows that it's a dog-eat-dog world out there.

I can only reiterate the importance of testing...

[ed: spelling glitch]

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: MJCB ]

ABW Ambassador
    *what MJCB said*

I recently touted a merchant and now there are at least 4 others that I know of building sites devoted to that specific merchants products. Not that I mind, but need to exercise a little more restraint in this department.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I had only one real performing merchant at CJ for the last 3 years that consistantly converted sales earning me 100.00 monthly. This merchant "Bonsai Boys of NY" actually gets more traffic from me than last year but because of competition using PPC SE keywords and the damn merchant plastering a 800# on top and bottom of page ..they now convert like crap. This is out of a pool of 180 merchants that occasionally popup with sales. Mine is a CyberMall so I use CJ merchants as fillers in categories since their isn't a showcase merchant in the whole group.

I don't promote any "lead" merchants since I don't want to feed the spammers they all seem to be hooked to...
    Go with merchants that blend with your visitor profiles.

Unfortunately there are a few website
    content thieves out there. All to lazy
    or dumb to learn optimization.

quote:
    We are all selling more or less from the same pool of products

It maybe the same pool, but it's a very big pool. This is like saying we all fish from the same ocean. Knowing the best fishing spots is very valuable information (an thus not likely to be shared).

quote:
    the site that draws the traffic not the products that you are selling

This may be part of your problem making sales. Product selection is probably only second to merchant selection in determining affiliate success. One's web site can very important or not important at all to one's success, so it is generally a neutral determinant, IMHO.

Hey Everyone-

Very true facts indeed, great earning sites are certainly treasures. There are some sites that offer tips along with joining their affiliate program...in fact we're developing such a page for our website. Anything in particular you'd like to see on a page such as this? I'm open to suggestions [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Hello, Joanne welcome to the board. I've been emailing a few times thru CJ mail about what network to be with. Have you decided if you're staying with CJ?

ABW Ambassador
    Hello, Joanne welcome to the board. I've been emailing a few times thru CJ mail about what network to be with. Have you decided if you're staying with CJ?

Joanne,

Hi and Welcome to ABW!

Haiko

There are lots of tips even in the vague replies and I thank you all for them. Isn't that the purpose of these forums or is the purpose to mostly spout off hot air and to simply to get seen in print. Trade secrets are important but trade organizations have a real purpose and should share some business building guidelines. I guess what we are all doing is not one of the world's best kept secrets anyhow. We have to operate in public and our work must be out there for all to see. The good will always be emulated and the bad will be ejected. You cannot afford to sit still. New ideas have to be applied everyday. This is not one race it isa constant race day after day. Well enough about me spouting off.

A lot of tips have been given througout the boards. The tip to read back into the archives is a good one.

Somewhere you'll see one of my posts that says something along the lines of:
    Services go belly up at a more frequent rate than hard goods merchants. Webmaster stuff is the hardest sell. Apparel sells, but has more chance of returns. Hard goods are a great place to start, but you'll want everything in your basket of mixed tricks eventually.

Don't put these forums down before you've actually read through everything. One of the newer members here said it only took about a week to read every post back to the beginning. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

seymourab I hear you, but this isn't a trade organization.

And, anyway, if you go along to a meeting at a trade organization, you won't find a member telling everyone else where he gets his cheapest supplies from, or who his best paying customers are.

There are plenty of things that a board like this can, and does, discuss, without getting into details of building an actual affiliate-based business.

Things like merchant fraud, CJ functionality, payment schedules, affiliate agreements and policies etc.

Also, you will find people here, and all over the web, willing to provide tips and help on how to improve your revenues. But usually in a general sense.

And, unfortunately, the only surefire way to get to the top is learning-by-doing and through experience.

We are all business people. In one sense, we are an organization of business people, but not a welfare organization, nor are we a franchise that sets someone up in business. If you want to build your business - your business - you must do that yourself. Otherwise, it isn't yours. That's the key - people here are more than willing to help, but no one is here is going to feed you. You must do that yourself. Even trade organizations don't feed their members; they encourage members to learn to feed themselves. There is a gold mine of material in the ABW archives and it is up to you to read them and make them apply to your business. Read some books about advertising and marketing, SEO, etc.

Every successful business does it's own research, it's own R&D and has it's own tricks and secrets if it wants to become and remain successful. Coke and Kentucky Fried Chicken wouldn't be where they are today if they'd given Pepsi and Popeye's their secret recipes. Pepsi and Popeye's developed their own recipes, and are more successful as a result.

Read the archives; learn how to test & experiment; develop your "secret recipe". That is the only way you will be successful in this or any other business.

Statements like this:
    quote:

Isn't that the purpose of these forums or is the purpose to mostly spout off hot air and to simply to get seen in print.

are not likely to make people here to want to help you; esp if you are not willing to do the little bit of work it takes to read the archives. It is obvious from your statement that you haven't made that effort. We are all busy people and everyone here pulls their own weight.

{

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

Once again i must say thanke. I didn't realize so many people would want to comment on this topic and offer so many useful suggestions. I certainly intend to build my own business and not have anyone build it for me. I will certainly find the comments on "things like merchant fraud, CJ functionality, payment schedules, affiliate agreements and policies etc." I lookforward to seen what has been written on these topics in the past. I see that I must definitely make the time to read the archives. No doubt there are some nuggets there. Well I'm off. Going digging. Must apologize if anyone got offended by my apparent tone. No offense intended.

Best of luck seymourab! Just recently being introduced to this board myself, I need to do some digging myself [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hello, Haiko & johnniebry! Thank you for the warm welcome :cool: johnniebry, I wanted to get back to you and let you know we HAVE decided to stay with CJ, mostly due to everyone's praise. We're definitely doing a lot of upgrading, though, such as lead payouts for newsletter sign-ups, 90 day cookie duration, improved publisher incentives ($cha-ching$!) and new banners. I'll be sure to keep you updated [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast