Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    relationship or commission?
    what's more important to affiliates? a good relationship? or high commission? maybe both? but if an affiliate has a very good relationship with the merchant, isn't it true that merchants will usually put them on the higher tier of commissions?

i'm guessing this is a broad question. i believe in meeting all the needs of my affiliates and giving them resources, i.e. customized pictures, banners, text links.. etc.. etc... so i guess i'm asking for a vote from affiliates... or i should probably say advice from affiliates on what is more important to you, and what can merchants in general do to meet YOUR needs?... i hope this is a good enough topic for people to discuss....

ABW Ambassador
    What kind of relationship? Personal or business.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    It's about COMMISSION. If I'm making money, the relationship works, otherwise, it doesn't.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager
    i guess, with business, people usually bring a little personal touch into it right? like "how's the kids?" just an example.. i guess

ABW Ambassador
    That's all great if the program works for the affiliate. Sometimes I see people losing their business sense in some cases. The AM could be the nicest person in the world but if the program doesn't work for me, it doesn't work. I have a few programs that I do great with where I haven't heard a peep from the AM. They still do great. There's a long thread on this somewhere, what affiliates want. I just want programs that I make money with. That's the deciding factor for me. If the AM is nice and responsive, I would rather have that than the opposite.

I'm not really interested in the merchants asking about my personal life. I think most of us just want to get more commissions, better quality feeds, better pricing, good sales, coupons, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    I'm not really interested in the merchants asking about my personal life. I think most of us just want to get more commissions, better quality feeds, better pricing, good sales, coupons, etc.
    I agree.

I flirt on ABW just for fun but when in comes to an affiliate program, I'm interested in the money

I'm not interested in becoming socially involved with anyone I meet over the Internet
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7

I'm not interested in becoming socially involved with anyone I meet over the Internet
    How You Doin', Rhia?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Is it the gas or the engine that makes your car work...

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    It's about COMMISSION. If I'm making money, the relationship works, otherwise, it doesn't.
    More accurately it is about CONVERSION. If the affiliate sends quality traffic and the merchant doesn't convert it really doesn't matter what the commission is.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    That being said this is a relationship business. If you can develop partnerships between the affiliate and the merchant where information is exchanged in a manner that makes both more effective, that's when the affiliate channel will achieve real growth.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

ABW Ambassador
    As long as money is being made. Let's use you as an example. You're a good and responsive AM with good tools for affiliates. But if I put you on my site and it doesn't convert for me, it's going off my site. You could be the nicest, most responsive with the best tools, send me Xmas presents the whole deal. But if the merchant doesn't convert, it doesn't convert. If it does, great. I've seen plenty of examples of affiliates staying with merchants that aren't doing anything fom them just because they like the AM or something like that. It's like their business sense went out the window.

http and a telephoto
    I agree with Trust, as an affiliate there are AMs I like a lot that I can't convert their programs at all, and as an AM there are affiliates I like that don't do a thing for my programs. But at the end of the day, we tried and sometimes it works for both of us. For the ones that don't work now, maybe because of a relationship we have established, a future merchant they work with may be a perfect fit.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

There certainly is plenty of room for both to be true. Safest bet? Let the affiliates reach out to you individually, and honor their requests on how they would prefer the relationship to work. Your sign up info should indicate what you are willing to do for your affiliates, and let them take the first step.

You don't want to alienate an affiliate that wants discourse with you, but at the same time, you don't want to annoy an affiliate that doesn't want to talk to you at all, but rather just sell the hell out of your product or service.

It takes all kinds in this world, and affiliate marketing is no exception.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

what's more important to affiliates? a good relationship? or high commission?
    That will depends on whether that good relationship is based on a 50-50 give and take good relationship, and you will get paid a fair commission.

but if an affiliate has a very good relationship with the merchant, isn't it true that merchants will usually put them on the higher tier of commissions?
    Not necessarily true, because if an affiliate has a very good relationship with the merchant, but the merchant only cares about the bottom line, he probably won't put them on the higher tier of commissions.

It's just like when some family members go into business together, in the beginning they may have the best relationship in the world because they are blood related, but once in business, some people will eventually care more about money than family, so to chose a very good relationship with the merchant that is not blood related to you, over a high commission, I don't think is very popular.

But, I think that when money really matters, it would be more easier to get your money back if you get screwed by a regular merchant, than it woud be to get your money back from a family member, or from a merchant that you thought you had a very good relationship with.

Good philosophical* thread, geekyaffiliates!

Relationship is always the cornerstone. Then comes the hard affiliate manager and affiliate work to make the program convert in the niches with natural demand.

Commission is not so important really. It is, but it's not. I know programs that pay 15% commissions, but have prices set at such a high level that their conversion is much worse than that of their competitors that offer more competitive prices and pay "only" 10% commissions. In the end of the day, affiliates naturally favor the latter program.

Geno

*"philosophical" because it seems that we're comparing two incomparables

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Show me the MONEY!

I try to keep from forming "relationships" with my merchants. Business is business, and not to be mixed up in such fuzziness and unlogic. I don't want some guy/girl making sad faces at me if he's got a dud program and I rip links. Or trying to get me to waste disk space on something I know won't work on my sites. Also I don't want to have to feign interest in their personal lives, nor have them feigning interest in me.

The Bottom Line is what is interesting in the merchant/affiliate interaction, and the rest is nonsense (if you don't think so, just watch how disinterested in you they get if you stop sending [or never start sending] sales!)!

Edit: I just saw Geno's post. I disagree with the thought that commission isn't important. If the commission is too small, the program will be invisible to me.

I know programs that pay 15% commissions, but have prices set at such a high level that their conversion is much worse than that of their competitors that offer more competitive prices and pay "only" 10% commissions.
    Between 10 and 15%, yeah. But when I see these under-5% programs, I don't even look at them, it doesn't matter if they convert or not. To me, such a puny commission is an insult.

Plus it just doesn't make sense to sell a $1000 item and get $20 off it, when I can sell something for $200 and get the same $20 from it! Especially since the cheapskate 2%ers are usually in the overcompetitive computer/electronics segment, but the 10%(and up)-ers are more spread out across industries, some of which are fairly easy to make sales in.
    Last edited by Leader; December 6th, 2006 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geekyaffiliates
    i guess, with business, people usually bring a little personal touch into it right? like "how's the kids?" just an example.. i guess
    The only personal touches I really wanted are:

• I'd like the AM to answer any questions I might have on a timely basis
    • I'd like the AM to take an interest in my site
    • Constructive ideas from the AM about my site are welcome

I don't want "surprise telephone calls" from the AM unless I requested a telephone call.

If I generate lots of sales from an affiliate program and the AM would like to send me a Happy Holidays card or a small gift that is being sent to other affiliates performing at a certain rate, that's fine.

I don't necessarily want to go on a picnic with the AM, or be expected to show up at a meeting/conference in order to meet with the AM, and I don't want to plan my vacation around an AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Edit: I just saw Geno's post. I disagree with the thought that commission isn't important. If the commission is too small, the program will be invisible to me.

Between 10 and 15%, yeah. But when I see these under-5% programs, I don't even look at them, it doesn't matter if they convert or not. To me, such a puny commission is an insult...
    These are not even commissions, Leader. No seriously-minded merchant/AM should even think of such affiliate-mocking commissions. I am totally with you, and I do not think we're talking anything as insulting as this. After all, sound preliminary marketing analysis is to be conducted before launching a program. If you're selling diamonds, 5-6% may be the commission to offer; whereas if you're selling sterling silver, we're talking more of the 10-20% range.

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    I would say the ultimate amount of money I make from a merchant is the MOST IMPORTANT thing. I have made a great deal of money off of 5% commission programs, because they convert so well. Yes I would like it to be more. Sometimes I get a private offer after I show I can do my job. I don't delete a merchant until the money stops or drops significantly.

That said, I really do enjoy getting to know affiliate managers. I find many of them very supportive and encouraging. Sometimes this can be a lonely business and these relationships can be good to have. They really are the folks who know how good we are compared to our peers and appreciate our abilities, (and have the ability to give us raises!).

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Money is critical in the aff marketing biz. Nobody would do aff marketing if they are not getting money.
    In order to get $$, merchant must have
    -competitive or good commission
    -clean program (no 2nd bite)
    -converting website
    -clean data feed
    -responsive AM

relationship is critial too but let's face it, nobody want to talk about your kids and family from an AM from 1/2 around the country or world. I have good relationships with lots of aff but I do not impose myself on them. Give them the tools, advise and they can run with it. Have an open door policy and make yourself accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    Money is critical in the aff marketing biz. Nobody would do aff marketing if they are not getting money.
    In order to get $$, merchant must have
    -competitive or good commission
    -clean program (no 2nd bite)
    -converting website
    -clean data feed
    -responsive AM
    Eric, the factors on your list are very important; no amount of slick charm from an AM will mask the lack thereof.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

This is really a new thread? I remember the exact same question posted here a month or three ago.

The affiliate's goal is always to make money. Commission rate is one factor that helps predict profits (higher commission usually means a higher probability of success). The relationship with the merchant is another factor (a merchant who communicates effectively with affiliates is likely to provide better service to those affiliates). As folks mention, there are a zillion other factors.

When I am considering buying a new car, there are a bunch of factors -- price, MPG, handling, cargo space, passenger room, air conditioning, CD player, etc. I may say that price is the main factor. But I'd pay a higher price if I could get better mileage (so I'd certainly consider paying a "premium" price for a Toyota Prius if I thought I'd earn back that expense in gasoline savings or planet-saving emissions reductions). Yet a $6,000 new car with great mileage probably won't provide the cargo or passenger space I need. There are many factors -- some are "optional" things that I "wish for," others are deal-breakers (my colleagues in Las Vegas simply can't use a car without air conditioning). Most of the factors are just factors, one of many to be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Most of the factors are just factors, one of many to be considered.
    I thought Eric created a great comprehensive list.

Which factor or which factors from his list could be considered extraneous?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

The AM must be male, really hot, younger than me, sweet talk me, then who cares if they pay me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast