Site backup
    What's the best way to backup site? My host only does so once a week. TIA

BTW I tried to search and got over 435 responses the first 2 pages were unrelated to my q. Thanks!

This may not be the answer you want but, it could very well be the best one!

Get a REAL host.

This is a business, treat it as one. Hosting is undoubtedly the most important part of your business, don't skimp on it get a real host that does all you want and need it to do and then some.

That said, Hi and Welcome to ABW chickgeek!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Hi chicgeek,

Welcome to ABW

Agree with Haiko, if your host does not offer a backup solution daily even if you pay extra per month for it, run, find another one that does. Almost all do nowaways, unless you are on shared hosting. You can go to a Dedicated, best option or a Virtual Dedicated, usually all the ones I have seen in past few years offer an option to backup daily for a few dollars more per month.

If you get a dedicated, the better option, then they should have a daily backup option as part of the plan, which you are probably already being charged for.

If you still have a dedicated server and no backup then try these:

http://www.livevault.com
    http://www.ironmountain.com

Both are same company and I do not know them personally or own any stock, etc ect, but they've been around. I know they competed against a company I sold years ago.

I have a virtual private server at midphase and they rudely told me that it was my responsibility to backup daily. They can't even tell the weekly schedule. I was with F5 who backed up daily and switched after they were hacked. It was a nightmare switching to midphase and i was down for a couple of days.

I hate to switch now...but I can't afford to lose a week's worth of data. I am not having a good week.

Simple answer ... call and ask for Dan Ushman, tell him your an ABW'er he'll make it right
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Haiko: do you have a direct number for Dan? Their phone lines are busy and the migration is tonight. The way my week is going, I know i'm scr****d.

Thanks Haiko: I left a vmail and an email - so you can delete his info.

Thanks

Affiliate Manager
    With shared hosting accounts being cheap it is not a problem to setup daily backups of your sites to other host.

Both hosts should provide shell access.
    So on the main server you may setup a cronjob that will launch a rsync daily and will sync your site chanegs to your account with other host.

You can find rsync mirroring howto here:
    http://sunsite.dk/info/guides/rsync/...mirroring.html

Your domain name should use third party nameservers. For example you can use your domain name registrar's nameservers. So once your site is down you logins to your domain registrar account and change A record for your domain name to point to your backup hosting company. Because you are changing just a record for your domain the change will propagate almost instantly. Though some visitors who already visited your site not long ago may use cached responses, but most of your visitors will be able to acces the site vithout the problem.

It is most cost effective way to organise site backup that can help you to get your site online again within 10-15 minutes. - the time required to change A record via web-based interface.

In case your budget allows you to pay for 3 dedicated servers you can organise everything in more professional way by building failover cluster with herabits. So when server will be down the other one will start to serve your visitors almost instantly and the downtime won't exceed 1-2 minutes.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread