Dell computer won't play DVDs any more?
    I actually tried to play a DVD in my "new" Dell computer, and was shocked to find that no matter what I do, no DVD will play in either of the DVD drives.

Poking around on the net, I find many others reporting the same problem, mostly saying that their DVDs would play before December 1, but on December 1 they stopped working.

This is pretty frustrating -- I bought this computer specifically because I wanted to be able to play DVDs. This kind of problem reminds me why I hate to buy new computers -- I pay extra for a number of special capabilities, but can't test them all, and then later I discover that I didn't get what I paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I actually tried to play a DVD in my "new" Dell computer, and was shocked to find that no matter what I do, no DVD will play in either of the DVD drives.

Poking around on the net, I find many others reporting the same problem, mostly saying that their DVDs would play before December 1, but on December 1 they stopped working.

This is pretty frustrating -- I bought this computer specifically because I wanted to be able to play DVDs. This kind of problem reminds me why I hate to buy new computers -- I pay extra for a number of special capabilities, but can't test them all, and then later I discover that I didn't get what I paid for.

Hmmm, sounds a bit serious, considering that it worked prior to dec. 1st, and stopped afterwards. I wonder why that date is significant...

I'll be checking mine tonight, to see if it exhibits the same issue.

If I had problem, I would first set the Date back one month on my computer, do a reboot with no other program running, then I would see if the DVD works again or not.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I had a friend who tried to play DVD but at the end of the day, he had cd-rw and he thought that he had dvd/cr-rw

Could be a bug in the firmware.

Also Dell probably did it because they want you to buy their blue ray drives mwahahahahahahaha

We got a new Dell recently and the DVD Burner didn't work right. It read plain CDs fine, but would read or write CD-R or DVD discs. Dell Tech support said it might have been incompatible CD-R discs, then had me update drivers, firmware, delete and re-add devices, etc. When none of that worked, they replaced the defective drive. Problem solved.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I received an email reply from Dell technical support this morning -- acknowledging the problem as widely known, and suggesting that as a work-around, I change the system date to a date prior to December 1. They promise a "fix" within a week.

(As an attorney, I am always amused to see a merchant encouraging people to back-date their computer's date, since that pretty much invalidates any potential evidence that might come from that computer.)

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Details:
    http://support.dell.com/support/topi...40A68F5B287A4B

The patch's release is imminent.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Donuts, that link is apparently no longer valid. I found the article here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...947&l=en&s=gen

Apparently this is a software rather than a hardware or firmware issue.

EDIT: Ack, now neither of these links work and Dell's article database seems to be screwed up so I can't get to that document at all.

I received an email reply from Dell technical support this morning -- acknowledging the problem as widely known, and suggesting that as a work-around, I change the system date to a date prior to December 1. They promise a "fix" within a week.
    I guess I was right.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread