Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thumbs down dPetruzzi.com negates all non-couponer sales
    No sense in waiting on another SAS merchnat to respond to questions using the SAS 'contact merchant e-mail form. Never in 2 years did I get a reply from that blackhole form. So here goes a rant for a merchant with a nice site doomed by an Adwhore mentality to fail all normal affiliates.

No where on their links page, or in the SAS coupon/deals section, is any Coupon or discount code link displayed. Not bad on the surface for someone like me pushing their actual registered trademark products, till you test your product "make a page" product links, Banners and text links to find every purse landing page has HUGE RED FLAGS. The same HUGE RED FLAG if you place a www.dPetruzzi.com product in the cart.

BOLD calls to get from full retail price to the 20% off price with COUPON Offer right in front of our referral shopper. Reinforced during the checkout process as they feverously search dPetruzzi.com for a discount or coupon code... NOTTA. OH you have to search Google for dPetruzzi + Coupon or protected trademark purse brand + coupon. Then search closely as most the coupon spammers don't have the real code that works in the cart.

One thing is a GIVEN... not one sale ever shows up credited to originating targeted affiliate traffic not blessed with some way to show a coupon /discount code.... before the click. dPetruzzi.com hired some advertising intern clown, who assumes advertising is about COUPONS. Result is all affiliate sales go to those insiders or code stealers playing the Brand/Merchant URL coupon spammer game. Brilliant move to trash all normal non-incentive affiliates letting the point of sale attack dogs give out the only meaningful key to the commission bank... a friggin coupon code. Well I'm off to steal sleazy couponers code to plce on my showcase displays ... or drop this merchant. Fat chance they'd pay me to teach them how to actually sell their trademarked products without resorting to 90% cart abandonment ratios.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Not sure if Kristin is still handling the program, they have an announement here:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...=dPetruzzi.com

ABW Ambassador
    Actually looking at the site and going to checkout, I don't understand the issue? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. At checkout there is a coupon box like a lot of merchants have. There is a coupon on the front page:

http://www.dpetruzzi.com/

10% off any order, code OCT. You can post that on your site so your shoppers don't have to go looking elsewhere.

Internet Cowboy
    They are owned by Batteries.com. She is no longer managing them.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I think what is being said, if I can summarize...

dPetruzzi has a coupon on their very first page - for 10 % off, but it is displayed only on the first page as I can tell...

If traffic is generated to an interior product page, the consumer doesn't know about the coupon.

The product page then displays a price which says it is "After Coupon" - but when you actually put the product in the cart, it is a higher price because you need to use the coupon code (which you didn't see as a consumer because you didn't come in through the home page)

The consumer then is almost persuaded by the merchant to go off and find a coupon, where he will likely find one based on PPC and the merchant name...though this could be any type of traffic.

Essentially, they are (and I am assuming this is an oversight) taking product-based traffic from their affiliates and turning it into a "highest bid" game for the coupon search.

Mike - if I have mistaken any of your words please let me know, was just trying to clarify a little bit for folks that haven't been through the dPetruzzi cart yet to see what the cart behaviour was....
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I will, by the way, email their AM tomorrow about it... I am assuming this is a mistake but either way I'll let them know what the potential issues are for affiliates, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    "The product page then displays a price which says it is "After Coupon" - but when you actually put the product in the cart, it is a higher price because you need to use the coupon code (which you didn't see as a consumer because you didn't come in through the home page)"

Ah ok. That's not good then.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Actually looking at the site and going to checkout, I don't understand the issue? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. At checkout there is a coupon box like a lot of merchants have. There is a coupon on the front page:

http://www.dpetruzzi.com/

10% off any order, code OCT. You can post that on your site so your shoppers don't have to go looking elsewhere.
    What's your site Trustno1 so I can get the 20% off coupon code that works in the discount box? Your a biased moderator deflecting what all non-couponers, and my 3 client's womens themed sites with their showcases, will see in a NY minute. Thousands of clicks with no dPetruzzi sales.....

Go to any branded product detail page http://www.dpetruzzi.com/productDeta...id=153029/4167 and see the HUGE RED FLAGS
    ID#: 153029/4167 Retail Price: $1,050.00 Our Price: $775.00 After Coupon: $697.50 (they are lying to the shopper who's already ALERTED they are getting ripped off without a coupon) Using dPtruzzi's Search Box for "coupon code" or "discount code" if in shopping cart yields nothing.

Might I suggest using the Google Coupon Yellow pages and after some affiliate coupon site shuffles (multiple cookies blasted while wasting time) you end up with FALLDP giving 10% off $199 or less,15% off $200 or more, 20% off $400 or more.

Lets do the pricing math 10% off -77.50 =net price of 697.50 (if customer find the small OCT code in the frontpage image) when the reality is they miss the 155.00 discount if the use FALLDP code. Total reality is all the EPC reflect commissions going to dPetruzzi affiliates pushing only coupon codes. Fat chance any smart product keyword PPCSE SEM player would fall for this merchant's trap... It's pure play Brand +coupon or Domain+coupon assuring this merchant gets their just deserts... every affiliate sale has a coupon attached. Couponers laugh all the way to the bank if they manage the SEO tricks to get 1st page at Google and Yahoo.

So forget feeding traffic to the couponers on this merchant with a fine proiductline and web site displays by "make a Page" showcases, banners or brand name department text links. You earn nothing with feeds either! Ever the cookie stuffers are DOA.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    "What's your site Trustno1 so I can get the 20% off coupon code that works in the discount box? Your a biased moderator deflecting what all non-couponers, and my 3 client's womens themed sites with their showcases, will see in a NY minute. Thousands of clicks with no dPetruzzi sales....."

Are you blind and just glossed over my next post? You know the one right above your last post? Here, I'll copy and paste for you:

""The product page then displays a price which says it is "After Coupon" - but when you actually put the product in the cart, it is a higher price because you need to use the coupon code (which you didn't see as a consumer because you didn't come in through the home page)"

Ah ok. That's not good then."

I'm agreeing with you. And you won't find it on my site, since I don't have the merchant on my site.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    I think what is being said, if I can summarize...

dPetruzzi has a coupon on their very first page - for 10 % off, but it is displayed only on the first page as I can tell...

If traffic is generated to an interior product page, the consumer doesn't know about the coupon.

The product page then displays a price which says it is "After Coupon" - but when you actually put the product in the cart, it is a higher price because you need to use the coupon code (which you didn't see as a consumer because you didn't come in through the home page)

The consumer then is almost persuaded by the merchant to go off and find a coupon, where he will likely find one based on PPC and the merchant name...though this could be any type of traffic.

Essentially, they are (and I am assuming this is an oversight) taking product-based traffic from their affiliates and turning it into a "highest bid" game for the coupon search.

Mike - if I have mistaken any of your words please let me know, was just trying to clarify a little bit for folks that haven't been through the dPetruzzi cart yet to see what the cart behaviour was....
    You didn't miss a word nor my meaning as I get my butt chewed by dome high end womans's fashion sites I put up for 3 clients featuring this forced coupon pushing merchant. Try explaining Brian to the SAS affiliates duped into thinking this was a class act merchant to promote ... and then not even provide coupon links anywhere at SAS to even earn a dime from them. Bet the AM of this one enjoys what Brian already knows ... no one other then the couponers or deal e-mailers make anything from the BS put into their SAS TOS based upon what the referred shopper see.

Savvy shoppers will look for a coupon, Mike.

Put the coupon code on your site, and you'll be all set.

"Pre-sell".
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    I will, by the way, email their AM tomorrow about it... I am assuming this is a mistake but either way I'll let them know what the potential issues are for affiliates, etc...
    E-mail their AM???? Since I joined SAS I've never ever heard back a peep on 20+ e-mails to any merchants there using the contact merchant form. I have no idea what happens to those e-mails and even if SAS provides who sent them and a way to provide a reply. So far they're a one-way street to no where. So I bring it to ABW where they cant hide.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    "Pre-sell".
    Or don't work with merchants offering a coupon. It's a choice, it depends of your shopping site.
    That's something I don't understand from Mike. Forget your testbed site for BHO, if you want to make money, be coherent with your business model.
    I don't offer coupons on my sites, it's my choice but I select my merchants. If I find a "Merchant Name coupon" on Google, I work with an other one.
    But, for my holiday shopping, if a merchant have a coupon box on their check out page, well, I'm going to search Google or other SEs to find the best (working) coupon.
    Don't add merchants with a coupon box on your site if you don't offer the coupon yourself.
    dPetruzzi.com site looks nice with products I'll like to sell but I'm not working with them.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh

"Pre-sell".
    NewsFlash... 50% of the people working for that company can't even remember how to spell the companies name. It has no way to generate traffic till affiliates get the word out as to what they sell and pre-sell their horibably expensive designer brand purses and accessories. Those same affiliates from the furnished SAS creatives get whacked by their "in your face" no coupon code no commish routine.

Guess I should pull down every showcase product and pre-sell acolade I give to shoppers and buy into the thin affiliate couponer site, Hell with even knowing what the 3000 merchants even sell ... just sell coupons on a site with button home page banners and a few coupon codes like 20,000 others. Pull down the site artwork and have the manditory 10K single logo image with pages of serp spam fodder ....merchant + brand + coupon... repeat repeat repeat. Then use some iframes for coupon click, or tricks to set multiple merchant cookies just navigating the couponer site. Just reverse the whole value-add logic and just reem the merchants with their own incentive Advertising crap like any incentive BHO and e-mail spammers do. Get some of that couponer mojo going where the lazy ass AM's puts you on their special e-mail list if you get on the first 2 pages of Google/Yahoo/AOL and do list brokering and spend like a drunken sailor on PPCSE.

Not really sure if this means anything in regards to this or not, (not even quite sure I should be commenting here cos I don't want to get attacked. ecomcity I have coupons on my site, but honest....I'm not a bad guy I don't put any coupons, sales, etc. on my site unless I've been given those links by affiliate managers or from getting the links at the networks themselves when they're available.

Hate to fess up to this and I mean no disrespect from it but I honestly don't understand quite a bit in your posts about all the terminology used in describing coupons, parasites, etc. I'm trying very hard to make an effort to learn about it but haven't gotten there yet. If somebody is posting coupons that have not been given to them by an affiliate manager or the network and you're saying that is wrong.....I definitely 100% agree with you. But.....if by me taking the time to post coupon links on my site that have been legitimately been given to me by the am's or gotten at the networks.....I'm sorry if you feel that is wrong but I totally 100% disagree with you. Me or if Trust or any of the others who include coupons on their sites were to do it with another site they belong to that is our decision to take the time to do that as well as your decision not to. I completely respect your decision not to do so, but you should respect ours also, if we're not doing anything wrong.

Like I said....I'm really sorry but I don't understand at times what you're saying for sure so not sure if you do consider me to be a bad guy or not. I hope you don't. If your definition of a bad guy is somebody who has no access to those coupons, etc. but goes to the site and takes that coupon or whatever that is only meant to be on that site by the merchant and not available to the affiliates......I completely agree with you cos they're hurting me as an affilate also.

Getting back to the beginning.....I'm affiliated with them and I don't have any coupon and am not aware of any that is available. Least I haven't been told of any current coupons. If that was a coupon for October....it may very well be possible it could have been on my site and removed at the end of October if had legitimately been given to me as a coupon by Kristin but I'm not aware of any current coupons for them. I didn't find any listed at SAS and I don't have any emails informing me of it. Not sure about the one that's on the site. If it's like some other coupon codes it might be an expired one since it lists it as OCT. That I think at least usually would be a code just used for the month of October

So...guess after my long post all I'm saying is that I am affiliated with them and I don't know of any coupon that's available for to me to use. If somebody else is posting one.....agree completely with you that it is wrong. If that coupon on their home page is a current coupon I also, agree it should be done differently and be posted at the checkout so that the person that is coming from any of your sites, mine, Trust and any other affilate doing things honestly.... cos your sites deserve that opportunity for the sale because of the fact that you got that visitor to the site. It definitely is wrong if you got them there and then they go off looking for that coupon. Agree with you 100% on that.

Hope with whatever your definition of bad guys are that you don't consider me to be one just cos I put coupons that have legitimately been given to me by affiliate managers on my site, cos I'm not one. Not sure cos I don't really understand some of your posts if you think I am or not but think from some that I do understand that I agree completely with what you're saying.

15 years and counting
    I don't want to answer for Mike. I understand him but he should make a clear distinction between couponers.
    There's many affiliates running a perfectly clean and legit coupon site, like Todd Martini, Connie Berg, Michael Coley... and I assume Trust even if I don't know his website.
    And there's many bad couponers using all kind of tricks to force they way to the SEs, posting non official coupons, abusing trademarks, stuffing cookies and buying traffic from 180Solutions or other adware providers.
    It's a bad idea, to use the same word to define different people, we have affiliates and parasites.

You're not a bad guy for using a coupon on your site.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, you're not bad for using coupons. Shoppers love them, nothing wrong with them. Mike uses them too:

"The latest Overstock Daily specials and Coupons are displayed below"

"FREE Shipping at Perfume Emporium! Enter coupon code FS2000 to get free shipping on over 7,000 designer fragrances at discount prices."

As for the actual problem he is describing, what Brian is talking about is post #5, I do agree with him.

And when he rants about coupons, he's talking about the bad ones, not the good ones. He's even praised some of the above board couponers out there. Sometimes he's had a habit over the years of throwing them all under the bus. So don't it personally or anything like that.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I dropped them the day after Kristin left - they don't have a knowledgable, experienced AM running the program.

But, I do know some other details... when they launched, they were automatically giving people the discount in their cart - a new program launch thing, so nobody went looking for a coupon, it was automatically applied to every purchase. The launch timing has ended and that deal expired. Problem is, Kristin left and the folks there, both nice and busy, don't really understand our typical concerns. They also had a dispute with the programmers who built the site and its cart - which introduced delays in fixing problems. So there's no intent to screw you here Mike, just mismanaged change of the departed AM. They should hire an OPM in my view - and it should be Kristin.

If they hired her back as an outside consultant, I'd be back in their program quickly knowing that K would be our voice and gets the needed changes made.

As it is, the person there just isn't in-the-know about affiliate matters (not an excuse, just the facts of things) and managing affiliates is likely their second or third responsibility, not their primary job.

I'd stop sending then any clicks until they decide to take their aff program seriously.

OK guys thank you very much for explaining Feel a lot better now. From their explanation....you wouldn't think I'm a bad guy either ecomcity We're all in 100% agreement. Abusing trademarks I think I understand that one, non-official coupons I understand.....stuffing cookies and buying traffic from 180Solutions or other adware providers. Sorry to say have to plead dumminess on them. But as I said....soon as the holidays are done I'm gonna do my very best to try to understand all of that. Til then...pretty much clueless I'm afraid, though. Before this forum I had absolutely no clue there was even such a thing.

Zeus said:
    << I don't want to answer for Mike. I understand him but he should make a clear distinction between couponers.

Psssst. if I become familiar with more of these terms maybe some day I will be able to understand him. and ecomcity....I'm only teasing you...so don't get mad at me Ya gotta understand tho...to me and probably others out there who don't understand all this stuff....you sound like you're talking martian or something to me....Other than a, and, the, etc. ....I don't understand much at all of what you're saying. other than you're not too happy bout any of it. and that I definitely don't wanna be who it is that you're referring to.

Donuts - Thank you very much for what you've posted. Umm guess maybe I shoulda have figured it out since come to think of it I don't think I've received any recent emails but I had no idea Kristen wasn't the am anymore. She being the am was the only reason I did join cos I felt she was an am to be trusted. Since she's not....don't think I wanna be sending any clicks either.

Thanks again for explaining Feel much better now

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    She being the am was the only reason I did join cos I felt she was an am to be trusted.
    She is indeed an AM to be trusted. Batteries.com is apparently run by someone who either doesn't get the affiliate channel or there are emotions standing in the way of making a good decision for their affiliate program. Kristen did a lot for them only for them to blow with the wind in a backwards direction after she is gone. We see it all too often and this is a textbook instance of it.

Follow Kristen and her programs. I know her and know that she has the affiliate in mind when she plans her day

Outsourced Program Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    She is indeed an AM to be trusted. Batteries.com is apparently run by someone who either doesn't get the affiliate channel or there are emotions standing in the way of making a good decision for their affiliate program. Kristen did a lot for them only for them to blow with the wind in a backwards direction after she is gone. We see it all too often and this is a textbook instance of it.

Follow Kristen and her programs. I know her and know that she has the affiliate in mind when she plans her day
    I agree UncleScooter, by not retaining Kristen, a great AM who already knew their program, they show that they know absolutely nothing about the affiliate channel. This would be a great opportunity for a competitor to swoop in, snatch her up, and gain great marketshare.

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    E-mail their AM???? Since I joined SAS I've never ever heard back a peep on 20+ e-mails to any merchants there using the contact merchant form. I have no idea what happens to those e-mails and even if SAS provides who sent them and a way to provide a reply. So far they're a one-way street to no where. So I bring it to ABW where they cant hide.
    Mike, they are still reading your emails trying to figure out what the heck you are talking about. If they ever come up with something they can understand to reply to I am sure they will.

Thank you all very much for the kind words! Hold on a second ... I think I have something in my eye. You guys are the best and definately deserve the best!!

I was going to stay out of this thread since there is nothing I can say on the program itself as I am not managing it any longer. dP is owned by Batteries, and when I left batteries, that meant I left dP too.

Thank you guys so much, you seriously are the best, and it makes me thank everyday that I work with such a wonderful bunch of people! I LOVE this industry!

Hugs All Around!!
    KK

No, no, no, no, no. hmm you didn't understand what I was trying to say at all. I said:
    << She being the am was the only reason I did join cos I felt she was an am to be trusted. Since she's not....don't think I wanna be sending any clicks either.

Honestly never thought it would be misunderstood what I was saying til I read uncle scooter's post and thought to myself.....hmmmm now why on earth is he saying that??
    ok...have to admit reading it over again myself I can see how you thought I was saying something completely opposite of what I was saying. That was my mistake...my posts are so long was only trying to shorten some I guess lol and didn't realize it was gonna be misunderstood. Should've put in another word and wouldn't have been taken the way it was.
    What I meant is.............

"She being the am was the only reason I did join cos I felt she was an am to be trusted. "

Still feel that way and think Kristen realizes that (least hope she does since I'm still in her other program. If I didn't think she was....I wouldn't be.) When I posted I had no idea I worded it wrong. Here's what I meant by the next thing I said.

In reference to what Donut had said....I was agreeing by saying...
    "Since she's not....don't think I wanna be sending any clicks either."

So that there's no doubt whatsoever as to what I meant to say.. I hereby state that I joined the program cos Kristen was the manager and I trusted her I didn't realize she was no longer the am until Donuts said so. Since she no longer is the am.....don't have a reason to remain with the program because of what Donuts said. Since the only reason I joined her program was cos she was the am. Hope I made myself clear this time. Am with Kristen's other program for the same reason. I trust her and that's the reason.

Now I'm gettin outa here. Thought I was only stopping in here real quickly today cos have to do other stuff. lol

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    Mike, they are still reading your emails trying to figure out what the heck you are talking about. If they ever come up with something they can understand to reply to I am sure they will.
    Hi Connie. Those 20 important e-mails (informing AM of broken images, landing pages, non-tracking test orders, no Paypal order tracking, bogus reversals) took place over 18 months. I used the e-mail notices to bring important issues to their attention. Simple courtesy would be to reply they're now aware of the issue, and are working on a fix as I never just e-mail conversion rants without the causes fully explained. All problem-cure type exchanges. Eventually most were fixed, or I just gave up promoting them. My personal non-promotion threat scares none of them. My designing and showcasing them on some of my very targeted client content type sites, sending non-incentive traffic, does get their attention when those site owners say goodbye to them. Of course I get the flack for recommending them as a way to monitize their site traffic and hosting costs.

I agree with Purplebear, and all other legit couponers, this is the most valid way to earn affiliate commissions. Today you have to have some strong influence at the point of sale to defeat the cookie landmines set by the AM's. Zeus and some others still remember the good old days when an affiliate could put up better product display pages, then the actual merchant had time for, and make commissions. Some like Donuts do this with PPCSE as they understand all the neuances of SEM.

My overall rant is against the migration of 90% of all network payouts going to strickly the "incenters" while the very same networks still laud the opportunity and recruit affiliates on the promise doing non-incentive pre-sell showcases will earn them commissions. Perfect case in point. I did a special page, with links to multiple Bonsai clubs I helped get off the ground, to showcase the Bonsai tree hobby and care tips. From DMOZ to horticural Univ sites linked to the page. I got many clubs to signup with Bonsai Boys of NY when I proved they converted 1 sale for every 25 clicks from my site. I never earned less then 250.00 per month from this CJ merchant.... before... I mention them here at AWB. What occured is an indicator of what sours the merchant and guarantees the product pre-sell click cookies get whacked at the point of sale.

Within a few weeks of that announcement the Super affiliates e-mailers and all couponers picked up on BBNY. My sites conversion ratio and those of all my clients Bonsai clubs dropped from 1/25 to 1/400. The merchant panicked seeing most sales were burdened now with affiliate commisisons. They reacted with a HUGE 800# on every product page. SERP couponer spam appeared.. http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ai+Boy+coupons CJ was no help as they shoved eBates and their other BHO buddies into the incentive mix. Only outlet for merchant, once targeted by point of sale incenters and all the SEM/PPCSE players, was to blow smoke up the butts of those actually sending targeted Bonsai Traffic. My sites last 7200 CJ and SAS Bonsai showcase clicks generated 8 sales. Fat chance those Bonsai club links do any better as they sure aren't affiliate tricksters.

Now the years of warning play out. Every Super Affiliate (All e-mailers + Couponers) now face Google Yahoo MSN AOL, who's datamining proved the only affiliate model that works is incentive marketing, have joined up and become couponers themselves (direct or with a 3rd party couponer). Officially all growth commission opportunities in affiliate marketing belong to those controlling those 1st 2 pages of the major SE with Brand +coupon Merchant + coupon paid or natural listings. Add in those blasting out 1+ million e-mails (merchant and affiliate cookied) monthly. Every survivor will be a thin affiliate site looking for traffic trick of the day and cookie swapping tricks at the point of sale.

Poor visionaries like Asif and Akiva scratch their heads knowing most their spam proof targeted clicks just run headlong into the incentive cookie landmine field at the point of sale. Merchants like dPetruzzi just reinforce my overall rant. Connie Trustno1 Fatwallet are established value-add couponers with loyal e-mailable followers. They will florish if quick on their feet hoping the CDT/FTC muzzle the automated incentive group spamming via the browser hijacking route.

I'm just sorry to officially announce I'm convienced those with an advertising mindset now control 98% of the commission payouts. No sales manager types have any say in daily ecommerce affiliate network operations. Now go figure out how you can inject influence at the point of sale, or resolve your fate to being someone sending traffic into the in-place cookie landmine field. My total affiliate income from 2 sites November 1st till today is a NEGATIVE $8.40 Merry Friggin Christmas to all my merchant partners.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast