Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Can someone tell me the basics I need as a merchant
    We are in the home decor market and I am looking at which of these choices is best from the merchant standpoint - I see all kinds of info from an affiliate standpoint but not much from a Merchants standpoint - any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkadestudios
    We are in the home decor market and I am looking at which of these choices is best from the merchant standpoint...
    Which of which choices, please?

G.

Is your question about affiliate networks, Kinkadestudios? Kindly clarify.

Geno

it is for our site kinkadestudios.com - we would be the advertiser - I have been looking at Linkshare, CJ, shareasale and affiliatefuture. We are interested in trying one out but not sure where to start - CJ and Linkshare seem like they are out of our league. We are most interested in a sale based commision structure as opposed to a PPC structure

I have moved your thread to a more proper part of the forum - the "Becoming a Merchant" section.

I, as a merchant and affiliate manager, would recommend ShareASale. For the same reasons you see affiliates recommending it around ABW.

As for your point about the "sale based commission structure as opposed to a PPC structure", you can choose the payment model when you set-up your affiliate program. It isn't hard. Just a matter of ticking the proper boxes...

Geno

I appreciate that Shareasale was actually the one that looked the most promising - I did not want to influence

There seems to be little information about the results to expect or the best ways to acheive good results on the merchant side - is the best way to put a coupon out ??? We can prepare banner ads all day long but what kinds of things get the affiliates attention?

There seems to be little information
    I disagree. ABW is the most information-rich resource you will find, without question.

the results to expect
    Your results will depend on your work. SaS will not just magically generate traffic and sales for you, nor will anything. You get what you give.

the best ways to acheive good results
    There are endless threads here. This is a good start: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=79787

Search search search. Most of the answers to your questions are already here and when they're not, there is an amazing community ready to help.

I am new to this community as well, as of yesterday. So far I have found endless information on program promotion as well as reading up on how affiliates interact and preferences found in different programs. People here seem very eager to help. Just start reading and asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by adambha
    I disagree. ABW is the most information-rich resource you will find, without question.

I agree there is a ton of information here - but most is from the affiliate side - I am looking for the Merchant side - maybe I am not navigating to the right threads?

Your results will depend on your work. SaS will not just magically generate traffic and sales for you, nor will anything. You get what you give.

There are endless threads here. This is a good start: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=79787

This is a great place to start - but how do I navigate to forums like this? Search seems to bring lots of randomness

Search search search. Most of the answers to your questions are already here and when they're not, there is an amazing community ready to help.
    Thanks for all the help BTW - I know that this will take some trial and error - I see lot's of different structures - what floats an affiliates boat - high commissions only?

One quick thing, watch the quotes, part of your replies were mixed into the quote. I almost missed it.

I agree there is a ton of information here - but most is from the affiliate side
    Sure, but information that is useful to an affiliate can often be translated to the merchant side. Just provide what the affiliates want/need.

Search seems to bring lots of randomness
    That's a learned art, it gets better with practice. Keep working with it.

what floats an affiliates boat
    See the thread I mentioned before. Do the opposite.

I saw that quote thing - right after I hit the post. Sorry.

It looks like most of what people don't like is merchants trying to cheat them and non-responsive merchants - you'd think that was common sense

Thanks

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    This is a great place to start - but how do I navigate to forums like this? Search seems to bring lots of randomness
    Search tip: Use advanced search, and have it show results as posts rather than threads. With post view, it shows a sentence or 2 from each post, and you can tell whether the post is relevant without actually clicking it. Saves a lot of time.
    is the best way to put a coupon out ???
    It depends on the product/promotion.

If you put a coupon out, you'll get lots of new signups (at least until you've attracted most of the coupon sites, then it levels off).

But, that doesn't mean you'll make even 1 more sale. If customers aren't seeking a coupon for your item type, it's a dead issue, and it won't matter if you have 1000 people running it. Also it depends on how well-known your brand is. A lot of coupon sites just SEO for "[MerchantName] Coupon" so if nobody's searching for your name, your coupon is never seen by the potential customers!

On the other hand, if it IS an item type where customers look for coupons, then running a coupon is reported to have great results. And if people know your (store) name enough to search for "YourName Coupons" then they'll definitely be able to find one.

IMO when it comes to money-off promotions, best to go with what works with your customers. If you don't know what'll work, try some test promos once you get your aff program up. I only found out how coupons and sales work for me after running a few.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Hi, and welcome to ABW!

I have a question: Most affiliates' home decor sites are pretty much geared toward merchants who are selling to consumers for their own homes (or gifts). Do you have any structure in place to sell to consumers via sites like that, or is it only a volume wholesale market being targeted?

Leader:

Our customers tend to like straight discounts - seasonal promotions - I guess we could do that a number of ways. I have seen in some posts - affiliates complaininging about a site coupon codes being "published" what is to prevent an affiliate from doing just that?

Web Worker:

We manage a wholesale site and a few specialized retail sites. On the wholesale side - we have a few good competitors - but on the retail side we get a lot of competition from big brands (like Martha Stewart) - we have done some drop shipping with mixed results. The "Home" market is very full but we still see some drop ship sites having some success.

ABW Ambassador
    "If customers aren't seeking a coupon for your item type, it's a dead issue, and it won't matter if you have 1000 people running it. Also it depends on how well-known your brand is. A lot of coupon sites just SEO for "[MerchantName] Coupon" so if nobody's searching for your name, your coupon is never seen by the potential customers!"

Not true at all. Having a coupon will get you on a lot of coupon sites. Some top ones at that. Ones that get lots of shopping traffic and you'll be seen by plenty of shoppers.

Sounds like a coupon is a way to get a fast start - and get affiliates interested - we have fair brand recognition on the wholesale side - our retail side has nearly 0 - that's probably where a coupon would do best.

Our market - silk flowers, artificial plants, artificial trees seems has a fairly broad appeal - so I think the coupon sites may work just fine - SEO sites - do they work for anyone?

Thanks for the feedback.

silk flowers?

Popdawgs ears perk up ~ heads off to check out your site

*edited to add*

Nuts, no silk flower petals
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

ABW Ambassador
    It all can work. What you just posted reminds me of another merchant carrying the same line of items:

http://www.petals.com

They have a 10% off coupon for affiliates to use, a free shipping coupon for affiliates to use. I have regular shoppers coming to my site, looking around and I get sales from that merchant.

So coupon sites will work.

There can be affiliates building out pages, do some SEO, getting free traffic to those pages, sending it off to you.

There can be affiliates doing PPC, gettting targetted traffic, sending it off to you.

It can all work.

Quote Originally Posted by popdawg
    silk flowers?

Popdawgs ears perk up ~ heads off to check out your site

*edited to add*

Nuts, no silk flower petals
    Our retail site has some of that
    http://www.amazonfoliages.com/index....&Category=2183

We're going to be trying this with our amazonfoliages site first

Once you've got your banners made and your site ready, post it up in the site/banner review forum. I've had some excellent feedback through there.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1

They have a 10% off coupon for affiliates to use, a free shipping coupon for affiliates to use. I have regular shoppers coming to my site, looking around and I get sales from that merchant.

So coupon sites will work.

There can be affiliates building out pages, do some SEO, getting free traffic to those pages, sending it off to you.

There can be affiliates doing PPC, gettting targetted traffic, sending it off to you.

It can all work.
    This is great info!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the affiliate build out page - are you suggesting a landing page just for the affiliates to come into - do you have an example of one?

ABW Ambassador
    You actually have pretty much a coupon already with the volume discounts. Coupons or deals usually come in 2 forms. Either a code or a link. An example would be a program Jrami manages:

http://www.everythingfurniture.com

Where when you spend a certain amount, you get a certain percentage or dollar off automatically at checkout.

With that you can make coupon/deal text links. With everythingfurniture once your total is $500 or more a 5% discount will show at checkout so affiliates can make a link:

5% off orders over $500, discount at checkout - Click Here

Something like that.

"This is great info!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the affiliate build out page - are you suggesting a landing page just for the affiliates to come into - do you have an example of one?"

If you're talking about PPC, some merchants have landing pages affiliates can use, most of the time affiliates can make these pages on their own. Along with SEO, affiliates can make pages and fine tune them to try to get the best conversions. They might find ways or have ideas you might not have even thought of. When you start your program, just listen to your affiliates, get ideas and then try to accommodate. Some might want special landing pages or some other things. You definitely have the type of product that can sell.

Here is my affiliate pages: (please remove if posting this link is against the rules....)

http://www.mindsprinting.com/mindspr...ffiliates.aspx

Honestly, this may not be the best page ever, I haven't redesigned it in a while. But it should give you some idea...

--Jason
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    I took it where they were looking for examples of landing pages affiliates might want to send traffic too, not an affiliate sign up page?

I'm not sure...either way, they've got both now!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast