Tracking Sales By Keyword On Third Party Sites
    Does anyone know how to do this, or if there is software available that does this?

I can track on my own thank-you pages using javascript. However, I want to be able to track conversions, at keyword level, on third party sites.

Any ideas?

As an affiliate for merchants who use either MyAP or ShareASale, I am running PPC campaigns and utilizing those systems' capability to add an "affiliate tracking" code; with MyAP, the parameter is called "sub=" and with ShareASale is is called "afftrack="

So that I would use a destination URL that embeds the search phrase (here, I use "ggl" to identify Google as the source, to distinguish from YSN or AdCenter):

URL...?IID=12345&PID=1&MGID=-1&kbid=1407&sub=ggl+search+phrase

URL...?b=45469&u=104451&m=8601&urllink=www.merchantname.com/productname/&afftrack=ggl+search+phrase

I can then download spreadsheets from ShareASale or MyAP and match up the search phrases to my campaign data.

Note that this shows the conversion data for the "keyword which was searched," not for the "product that was purchased," so that if someone clicks on your link for "Green Widgets" and then proceeds to buy a "Blue Gadget" instead, you only know that a search for "Green Widgets" generated a sale worth X dollars in sales/commissions.

Thanks Mark.

I want something that will work with any affiliate program/site. I've heard of people doing this type of tracking, but I'm not aware of a commercially available product which has this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by blackgrape
    Thanks Mark.

I want something that will work with any affiliate program/site. I've heard of people doing this type of tracking, but I'm not aware of a commercially available product which has this feature.

I've done something similar ot what Mark mentioned above, with the exception that I lazily appended the entire referral string to the sub tracking parameter (after making the referral url safe to transfer).

It works, as long as the affiliate tracking parameters done have character limits anytime soon.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread