ABW Ambassador
    When I started in this biz, one of the hardest things was coming up with ideas for new stuff -- good ideas, that is.

I started combing through all those catalogs I get in the mail... what items were they featuring? What did Sharper Image think was going to be hot? What item was in ALL the catalogs?

Now, I have tons of ideas, but I'm not always inspired by them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] When nothing seems interesting to me, I go back to the catalogs...

Where do you get your ideas?

Thats a good idea Cedric, most of these companies have to plan for their catalogues so it makes sense that they would be trying to find what they thought would be hot. I've never been good at it, I laughed at cabbage patch kids, and pokemon, so what do I know. Maybe I should ask the kids what they like and make pages from there, hehe.
    Anybody got any ideas on what the hot toy is going to be this year?

ABW Ambassador
    Oh yeah, KIDS! One of my best ideas last year came from a simple comment MsMary made here about what her kids wanted. One tiny product that cost $4.95 a pop (but nobody buys just one) and I sold over a thousand of them in about 6 weeks... with a merchant that pays 18%.

I was living high... lol.

pardon me, but I have to leave now... I have a 14 year old niece I think I need to call.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh yeah, KIDS! >

Thats an excellent idea ...

Christmas 2001 ... I asked a friends of mines son what he wanted for Christmas ... I never heard of the product but I made a page for it and sold over $33,000 because of it that quarter [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Now, I have tons of ideas, but I'm not always inspired by them. When nothing seems interesting to me, I go back to the catalogs...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I've been starting to do. Many of the merchants I promote I've also been a customer of for many years, so I get their print catalog anyway.

I've also had loads of hobbies and interests over the years so I've got a sense of what people might be looking for in, say, backpacking gear or bike parts, and what among them they would be likely to buy online by thinking about what I'd be looking for myself if I were still involved in that area.

As for the really hot kids' stuff - I'm not there quite yet.

{

Emails and search terms.

My topic is very specific, and I receive a lot of emails from people looking for something particular. When I start to see a trend, I know it's time to put up a page for that item or subject.

I've received a least a dozen emails from people looking for a Microwave Candy Thermometer. Now, at some point in time I'm sure somebody manufactured this item, but I've literally spent months looking for one and still haven't been able to find it. Other items have been a lot easier to deal with.

At first I just answered every email, but sometimes they get to be a bit much -- same questions over and over again. So, I've created a section at my site where I post the emails I've received with my responses. If the person is looking for a particular item, I include pictures and product links to encourage online purchasing, or links to pages within my site where the subject is discussed more thoroughly.

I enjoy reading my logs and seeing what search terms brought people to my site. A lot of times, when I start seeing a search repeated, and I know the information isn't at the site, that will inspire a new page.

Tracy

P.S. If anybody knows where one can find a Microwave Candy Thermometer -- please email or PM me!

ABW Ambassador
    Oh yeah, and I have a search function on my site -- love to look at what people are searching for there (shows up in the logs) because it tells me what keywords to add existing merchants -- so the next time someone searches on that topic, they find the right merchants!

I have one page that generates a decent amount of income that came from the fact that I had a page with three (I thought)unrelated words. It was a freak occurence that those three words together made a product name that people were seeking out and I ranked in the top-10 of the SE results... I built a page around it and it's more than worth keeping around.

(BTW, children who are home-schooled and have no TV are of very little assistance in this type of research, lol. Totally rules out one in-law family of mine, but thank goodness my sister (and her daughter) are fully commercialized).

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread