Thread: Who Said that International Affiliates are No Good?

Question Who Said that International Affiliates are No Good?
    Here's a printscreen of a sale that rolled in (mind you, again with the PrivateMDLabs affiliate program) yesterday from the Mediterranean:

That's an Italian flag, isn't it?

What is this talk that I sometimes hear on the unsuitability of international affiliates to promote US affiliate programs?! Heck, if the US affiliates are not as active with a program as they could be, why shouldn't we, affiliate managers, let overseas affiliates with North American traffic earn their buck?!

Geno

http and a telephoto
    One of my best affiliates now and in the past is international... and I have several... I think there are only certain countries that are considered bad... I wouldn't turn down an affiliate that was international just because they weren't in the US....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    One of my best affiliates now and in the past is international... and I have several...
    So is my experience, Deb.

However, I keep hearing about US merchants setting their program on automatic denial of all international applications... Not good.

But, after all, let them do it, Lox, right? We can have all of the international ones!

Geno

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    If an affiliate is drawing traffic, they could be anywhere on the planet or in outer space ... what's the difference?

Guess it depends on where their traffic is coming from but a buyer is a buyer .... I'm happy to see an affiliate outside the U.S. is doing this well because if I decide to move to Europe or to the moon for that matter, I'd hate to be shunned when the majority of my traffic is still gonna be U.S. based.

I think merchants need to better embrace the global essence of the Internet ... If a merchant only ships to U.S. addresses, it kinda defeats the whole purpose of a global marketplace. I think a good move for merchants would be to incorporate EASY and AFFORDABLE worldwide shipping to their business plans.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I agree. I've partnered with International affiliates on our dating program and pet recovery systems who drove a lot of sales from their wonderful countries. Being as we work on the WWW - it matters not where an affiliate is located, as long as they know coming in if there are geographic limitations.

If they know in advance of any geo restrictions they can easily handle ppc through country allow / disallow or with organic they can list geo restrictions. I remember 7 years ago telling my wife while we were in the BVI's vacationing that because we were internet we could operate our businesses from anywhere in the world ( I dreamt of operating from the beach for the whole time we were there) so I assume that applies to marketers in other countries just like it does for all of us in the good ol U.S. of A!!

BTW Geno, thanks for the education. All this time I thought that was the symbol that identifies espresso shops. Now I find out it's the Italian flag!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    If an affiliate is drawing traffic, they could be anywhere on the planet or in outer space ... what's the difference?

if I decide to move to Europe or to the moon for that matter, I'd hate to be shunned when the majority of my traffic is still gonna be U.S. based.

BTW Rex - keep in mind that there may be some shipping issues for moon addresses - so check into it before investing in that Sea Of Tranquility condominium development!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    BTW Rex - keep in mind that there may be some shipping issues for moon addresses - so check into it before investing in that Sea Of Tranquility condominium development!!
    Sea of tranquility sounds sooooooo tempting but way too isolated. I'll stay "grounded" for a while anyway. ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Sea of tranquility sounds sooooooo tempting but way too isolated. I'll stay "grounded" for a while anyway. ;-)
    GOOD!!! because they don't have T-1 or DSL there yet either Rex, so we couldn't communicate with you if you went moony on us!!

I definitely resemble that remark

It is one of the reasons I no longer try to use CJ. I was being automatically rejected by most merchants ... and Switzerland isn't exactly a dodgy random poor country

I love the fact that in SAS merchants might not automatically accept me but they do get a chance to look at my web site and actually decide for themselves ... and then accept me I target all my advertising, PPC, etc to the US ... why on earth should any merchant really care where I am? OK ... if I were in Nigeria I might understand it

Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by [left
    Staril[/left]]

Switzerland isn't exactly a dodgy random poor country

Sue.
    No kidding - Probably the hardest country to infiltrate (OK, maybe almost as difficult as Australia LOL)

Sue, you need a U.S. based P.O. Box so no one will know where on earth (or beyond) you reside, which shouldn't make one bit of difference. But yeah ... those third world (and elsewhere) SPAMMERS give non-U.S.-based residents a bad name. Creeps ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Staril
    I definitely resemble that remark

It is one of the reasons I no longer try to use CJ. I was being automatically rejected by most merchants ...
    This is just so wrong! Two of my best Russian Legacy affiliates (that if taken together make more than the rest of the affiliates) are non-US based. And they sell mostly to the US-based customers!!

Geno

12. Newsletter Signup