Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Yet another reason to hate Amazon
    Hubby and I sat down tonight to review the Amazon wish lists of his family. We chose items, put them in a shopping cart and proceeded to checkout.

Guess what?

Every single item on our list came up, "Will ship between 12/27 and 1/4." So with standard shipping it's guaranteed to not arrive until 2007!!!

It's not like we waited until the last minute to shop, it's only December 8th. If I had any freaking Amazon links on my sites I'd pull 'em now.

:muttering: Incompetent nincompoops.

What kinds of items were these? I've not had this kind of experience with Amazon.

Certainly, there are some items that they don't stock and which they promise to ship in "several" weeks. When I was working as a teacher, I learned that nearly all books published by the "National Council of Teachers of English" [NCTE] were only available from Amazon with a promise that they would be shipped in "2 to 3 weeks," and Amazon charged list price; NCTE gave its members a nice discount off list price, and shipped the same or next day.

I've bought a lot of books "from or through" Amazon.com (including Marketplace purchases), and I've generally been satisfied. However, if Amazon charges list price, or if I think I can find a lower price elsewhere, or if Amazon doesn't have the item in stock, I gladly buy the item elsewhere.

As an Amazon affiliate, I'm pleased to notice that I am now just 7 items away from earning a whopping 7.5% on all items sold during the current quarter (about 70% books). Yes, they pay crappy commissions, but I must admit that the conversion rate is higher than any other "regular" bookseller I've ever sent customers to.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Yes, they pay crappy commissions, but I must admit that the conversion rate is higher than any other "regular" bookseller I've ever sent customers to.
    I find they convert better than any merchant for everything, not just books. My conversion rate with Amazon is always right around 5.00% (NOT .5 or .05) which is astronomical compared to any other program I've ever worked with.

Meanwhile, sucks that your order had such lousy shipping times, Rhea. I normally can get just about anything from Amazon within 3 days with standard (usually FREE) shipping. It might be because the stuff you were ordering is third party merchandise and Amazon gives themselves plenty of leeway in case their suppliers don't ship in a timely manner but if customers are seeing those shipping times, a lot of sales will be lost.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Most of the items were CDs and DVDs. We're headed to the mall tomorrow to buy them at FYE.

Just giving everyone a heads-up that if your Amazon sales suddenly dry up it might be because they can't deliver before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Most of the items were CDs and DVDs. We're headed to the mall tomorrow to buy them at FYE.

Just giving everyone a heads-up that if your Amazon sales suddenly dry up it might be because they can't deliver before Christmas.
    Hmmmmmmmm ... I was looking for Becker DVDs yesterday, Amazon didn't have them in stock.

I ended up doing a G search and found them on the first sponsored site. But no affiliate commission was paid on that sale. :-( Wonder if all DVDs and CDs are back ordered at Amazon? I've seen sales in the last few days for both but my Amazon reports have been screwy for the past 2 days so no clue what's really going on. Are anyone elses Amazon reports messed up?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    I just bought a ton of stuff tonight for xmas, will come next week. No problems. Are you sure you didn't load up with marketplace merchants? They have time frames amazon cannot control. I am another amazon lover both as an affiliate and customer.

ABW Ambassador
    "Hmmmmmmmm ... I was looking for Becker DVDs yesterday, Amazon didn't have them in stock."

I know a good coupon site that has some nice Amazon links

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "Hmmmmmmmm ... I was looking for Becker DVDs yesterday, Amazon didn't have them in stock."

I know a good coupon site that has some nice Amazon links
    Me too but they didn't have Becker DVDs.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    What's Becker? I just checked, eh

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    What's Becker? I just checked, eh
    It's an older TV show that my younger daughter is obsessed with all of a sudden. Actually a pretty funny show. She wants the DVDs for Christmas - Amazon doesn't have them. Evidently, they're hard to find so I grabbed them where I found them. Certainly not my first choice of places to buy DVDs or links to buy them through.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Nope. We had one marketplace item. When we saw the problem with ship dates we chose the "ship items separately as they become available" option and it still didn't change the ship dates.

I cleared my cart and hubby tried ordering from his computer. Same thing happened. This has happened to me before during the holiday season.
    Chet, I'm going to try this again only this time I won't put the marketplace product in my cart. Maybe it's a fluke in Amazon's software. Coz it makes no sense for an etailer to be unable to fulfill an order placed on 12/8 for delivery before 12/25.

Hey Chet and Rexanne and everybody! Thanks for convincing me that something about my order was creating a problem with ship dates. I just reentered everything except the marketplace item and now the ship dates are 12/14 and 12/15, which is plenty of time.

I just wish Amazon's software had a way to indicate something like, "eliminate these items for delivery in time for Christmas."

I can't wait for hubby to wake up so I can give him the good news! Neither of us was excited about being at the mall this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I've seen sales in the last few days for both but my Amazon reports have been screwy for the past 2 days so no clue what's really going on. Are anyone elses Amazon reports messed up?

Reporting is horrible. They've been posting them later and later, supposedly shooting for 1 pm. LOL, I haven't figured out what time zone that is. Up until they post new reports, most reports seem to be cumulative, more or less lol.

I have to agree, they convert well. I'm pretty happy with them.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Yes, I had exactly the same thing happen to me. I tried to order even earlier than you (Dec 4th) and they attempted to extract very high shipping costs in order to ship before Christmas. So I abandoned my order and went elsewhere.

Oh, and by the way:
    I had over 30 book orders with Amazon this year, about 1/2 third party with next to no commission.

Total Commissions: $10 and some change !
    Last edited by Cheesehead; December 15th, 2006 at 12:26 AM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I ordered a bunch of stuff on December 2 and 5, and it had all arrived by this past Monday. Everything had shipped by December 7 and I had selected the FREE SHIPPING option for everything.

I also ordered two items from Third Party and received them within a week.

When I was shopping I was careful to make sure that the item was "In Stock" before adding it to my cart. There was one item I wanted that said, "Ships in 7 to 10 days" so I didn't order it.

Amazon is very good about marking the status of each item they carry.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread