Interesting Article: Smashing the Clock
    "No schedules. No mandatory meetings. Inside Best Buy's radical reshaping of the workplace"

I wish my day job were like that. Being tied down to a desk in the office is part of the reason why I want to do my own thing. Then again, if my day job was structured like this, I'd rush to get my work done and then spend the rest of the time working on my own stuff anyway.

http://biz.yahoo.com/special/allbiz120606_article1.html
    Last edited by VolareMedia; December 10th, 2006 at 02:04 PM.

Care to share the Link to article with the rest of the class?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Care to share the Link to article with the rest of the class?
    LOL... Thanks!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    All I can say is, IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

They must've been reading my posts!

Finally, finally, finally. It looks like some sense is finally coming to empl*yment land.

http and a telephoto
    That is an excellent article that articulates what telecommuters have been saying for years. I am a huge opponent to doing anything "just because". I can see where in some cases it is going to be hard to regulate, but if you hire some one to work remotely and give them goals, they can meet them better on their own schedule rather than from 9-5. I personally work and think best in the evening and at night. Making me try and be productive at 9 am is counterproductive Well, it used to be on east coast time anyway

The point is that people know when they are most productive and even though face time is important for brainstorming, it doesn't have to be everyday and it doesn't even have to be physically face to face. If you think better in the woods, have your conference calls while you are out in the woods or fishings as one exec in the article pointed out.

I get my best ideas while driving.... I have for years said I need a recorder so I can capture those ideas, still haven't done it...

I love that they are now launching a division to teach other companies how to implement what they are doing
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    It's already been forwarded to the rest of our executive team!

Thanks Volare.

Been listening to the book "Mavericks at Work" lately...very interesting book about some very unique companies.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

ABW Ambassador
    I was very disappointed in "Mavericks at Work," because I thought it would discuss how a person could be a maverick in any company. It seemed instead that in order to be a maverick one must start ones own company. Which I guess is what I already knew. That aside it was interesting to read what others have done.

We all are reading (or listening) to it on a recommendation from a client.

I don't think the message is necessarily that you have to start your own company, although that is the perspective I bring to it.

It is mostly about creating a culture at work and illustrates some pretty amazing and unusual (in the classic business sense) ways to innovate and encourage personal growth in the workplace.

I have been impressed with the messages so far, although I wish they had gotten a little more in-depth.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

It's about time. I can remember working 60 - 70 hours a week as a salaried employee, but getting a lot of crap if during the slow times, I would leave an hour early. It is what made me get out of the field I was not only good at but really enjoyed. I had a work ethic of working as long as it took and did so for years.

The day the divisionís human resource manager decided to talk to me because I took a manager for a two hour lunch during the holidays because she was stressed and ready to run...was the day I decided it was time to get out of the business.

I could have argued my position, but at that point, my respect for the company had dwindled to nothing with their anal time-watching antics. If the salaried employees watched the time-clock as much as the 'bosses' a lot of work never would have been completed.

Respect and trust goes a long way with employees. Disciplining those who abuse it instead of setting policies in case the abuse happens has to result in better attitudes = commitment = strong work ethics + increased productivity. Hats Off to Best Buy!
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams

Thanks Volare.

Been listening to the book "Mavericks at Work" lately...very interesting book about some very unique companies.
    Matt - there are so many innovative ways to run companies now and if for those companies who remain in the dark ages, the employees they attract will be equally as robotic.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Just to play devils advocate: the risk in this model lies in who defines what is "as long as the the work get's done".

In this business (aff marketing) I prefer to work with freelancers as they are project oriented: I don't care how long it takes a freelancer to finish i.e. a web design, I only pay for the finished product. Both parties are fully aware of this and negotiate accordingly.

However, in a full-time-employment, corporate environment the bar maybe set too high by some department heads. In the end a previously good employee may be worse off with the newly granted freedom. Of course, people who were non-performers in the established working environment will need to shape up in the performance-driven environment. I guess that's were the 30-odd% increase in productivity comes from, or at least some of it.

Also, the argument that you can have a conference call in the middle of your hunting stint is unrealistic. Well, I don't hunt, but call me in the middle of a golf game when I'm up on a $50 bet with a ten foot put to go. You'll see how much of my concentration and thought will go into that important phone call, as a boss you may not be satisfied.

I don't say it is a bad idea, it will just take a lot of effort on both employer and employee side to define and agree on the rules. It may also lead to the demise of full time employment, and to the re-focussing on temp staff and freelancers in order to allow companies to be totally project (and performance) oriented.

Just a thought...

Frank
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

The most interesting thing about that article for me is not the innovative time scheduling thing (which does sound great), but the way the change came about. From below, without any real input from the execs until it was basically in place. That's the real innovation if you ask me.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    The most interesting thing about that article for me is not the innovative time scheduling thing (which does sound great), but the way the change came about. From below, without any real input from the execs until it was basically in place. That's the real innovation if you ask me.
    I agree and it shocks me that it was accepted. Top management generally enjoys taking credit for any good ideas. All I can say is after going through the FISH program at my old job -- ROWE --- actually sounds like it is designed for professionals.

The FISH thing lasted for about two weeks after the company paid regionals to fly around to all of our stores to present this concept of 'having fun on the job' with such thin boundaries you couldn't even answer employee's questions as to what was and what was not acceptable behavior. In an enviroment designed to stand behind employees, FISH (I guess) could have worked, but as soon as questionable behavior emerged - the human resource dept. would bail on the program.

It will be interesting to see if ROWE is around in a year. I sure hope so!
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by LearnAbout
    It may also lead to the demise of full time employment, and to the re-focussing on temp staff and freelancers in order to allow companies to be totally project (and performance) oriented.
    Another excellent idea. I currently have two new moms working for me who work from home. They wanted to be around to raise their children (to certain ages) and neither could find jobs to fit their needs. They are excellent producers, set their own time and I can slow down the work or up the work at any time. It's a win-win situation for all of us. As far as benefits such as insurance? That is the only not so win-win but that goes for anyone who is self employed.
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Matt - there are so many innovative ways to run companies now and if for those companies who remain in the dark ages, the employees they attract will be equally as robotic.
    And the innovative companies barely even have to promote their job openings, people just flock to them or are referred by other employees.

One of the things we are proudest of is that we have never lost an employee (in over 2 years of existence) and almost all of our employees are referrals of other employees
    Matt McWilliams

I think you're right about defining what "getting the work done" means for each employee. I think it is a facinating idea though and like the way that the brought it to life.

We have the FISH program at my office and it works very well. We have a "Culture Club" that is in charge of making sure that we implement the program in each department and remember to keep it alive.

We've done everything from:

Homecoming week - complete with dress up days and a Homecoming Court
    Bingo - Every wednesday we break for BINGO with fun categories instead of numbers. It has become quite competitive
    Recess - We've played flag football in the parking lot and even red light, green light
    The Culture Club elections were done like the old student counsel elections in school complete with posters and campaigning.
    We bought a fish tank and each employee gets to pick out and name their own fish. It has a blog and is quite the topic of conversation.

Anyway, if you work to implement things it can be quite fun and it is on the list of "benefits" when I tell people about my company.

My company might be open to this, but some departments wouldn't really qualify due to what their jobs require and others would, so it wouldn't really be fair.

Very interesting idea though.

Sheri

Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams

Thanks Volare.

We just read that for this month in my book club!!
    KK

From municipal to private.
    Moving from a municipal, unionized position to a privately held company was a pretty interesting switch for me. It basically translated into more work and more hours, but with more freedom and more fun. Breaking pay down to an hourly wage, I was probably making a little more in the municipal job (at first), but the intellectual challenges and job perks definitely made up for it.

I'll trade the union mandatory breaks, hourly work limitations and overtime pay for pub crawls, foosball, lots of social events, free soda/coffee/ and, most importantly, more freedom, any day.

P.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread