Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    any one know any web log analyzer that allow me to check when google bot is visiting my site?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eaglefire:
    I like AWStats:
    http://awstats.sourceforge.net/

{
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto, I use awstats too.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, awstats is a goodie - and it's just been integrated into the latest update of Cpanel, so if you have a good host, you might already have it. It's replaced the horrendous and useless Webalizer (hooray !).

I tried installing awstats but got stuck when I got the part where I had to build and update it. Below is the instructions, but I have no clue what it meant especially the "awstats.pl -config=virtualhostname -update" part.
    I hope that is not by telnet or SSH since I have no clue how to use it, is ther any other way I can build the stats for the first time by not using this method? Can anyone please help? and

Build/Update Statistics

Even if AWStats allows "real-time" statistics with its "update from browser feature" (See next section Read Statistics), you must run the update process from a scheduler frequently.
    * The first update of statistics can be made the first time manually from the command line (the first time, process may be long :
    awstats.pl -config=virtualhostname -update

AWStats will read the config file (awstats.virtualhostname.conf, or, if not found, awstats.conf) and create/update its database with all summary information issued from analyzed log file.
    AWStats database files are saved in directory defined by DirData parameter in config file.
    When update is finished, you should get a result like this:
    Lines in file: 225730
    Found 5 dropped records,
    Found 124 corrupted records,
    Found 0 old records,
    Found 225601 new records.

Thanks for the info.
    My host just added it to the server for me, but he couldn't figure out yet how to make it update automatically. No biggee though because it beats the heck out of Webalizer!

Gayle

you can automate it with a cron job, ask your techie about cron tab [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

So is installing AWStats one of those things your host will help you with? I downloaded it weeks ago, but haven't installed it yet because I'm not much of a techie and haven't had time to figure out the instructions.

Would be lots easier if I could get help, but I hate, hate, hate looking like an airhead! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

However, I am dying to get it uploaded and working - I've seen it on other sites (in fact that's how I discovered it - I followed a link from the stat program I'm currenly using) and boy, does it look like exactly what I want!

>>(in fact that's how I discovered it - I followed a link from the stat program I'm currenly using)<<

As a matter of fact, that reminds me - here's a word of advice: When you are checking your stats, never click on the link of a private site (meaning site other than a SE) to visit it - copy and paste the link instead. If you click on the link from your stats page, your stats page will show up in the other sites stats, and they can go take a peek at your stats page!

I followed links on my stats a couple of times to someone else's stats page and both times, I felt kind of embarrassed, sort of like the feeling you get when you open the bathroom door and someone was already in there! :eek:

It's amazing how many stats programs have no protection whatsoever - anyone can get into them. But perhaps that's for another thread.

My host has AWStats available, I've asked them to configure them for me. I also have the standard Analog and Webalizer, and they never agree with each other.

When you compare page views and visits, Analog is always much higher than Webalizer. I never know which one to trust.

I'm going to have to learn how to run a Cron job as well, I'd really like to have real time stats for a change!

Andy

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Have to agree that webalizer is pretty useless. I get more useful info from Analog, and that's limited.

Glad to hear about the update of cpanel.
    Tom, you hear that???? Are we getting the new cpanel?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Glad to hear about the update of cpanel.
    Tom, you hear that???? Are we getting the new cpanel?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Not sure when we will release it. One thing about CPanel is there are bugs in some portions of the software. Instead of passing those bugs along to clients, we will remove certain features. For example, CPanel has an awesome site back up tool...backs your site up and zips it...you then download it to your home computer...unfortunately, it only worked less than 50% of the time...We thoroughly test and retest everything with CPanel...

ABW Ambassador
    use perlonline.com

Funny, as soon as I posted above that I like AWStats best, I went to check mine and it had crashed and is returning a 500 error. There's a huge Core Dump in the directory.

Has anyone else had this problem with AWStats?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iucpxleps:
    you can automate it with a cron job, ask your techie about cron tab [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks....I will tell him that.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Janiss:
    [QB]So is installing AWStats one of those things your host will help you with? I downloaded it weeks ago, but haven't installed it yet because I'm not much of a techie and haven't had time to figure out the instructions.[QUOTE]

Well, the guy who owns my host server is a friend (hooray...free hosting), but he installed it very quickly. Doesn't hurt to ask [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Also...if it's installed on the host, that will probably take care of anyone being able to access your stats...your host shoudl require a PW.

AWStats sure is hard to install, I get headache just my looking at the installation instruction. Any other easier stats anaylzer out there?

Some other log analyzers you might want to try:

http-analyze (free for non-commercial use)
    Analog

These are a bit old, but still working:
    pwebstats
    Access Panda
    wwwstat

BTW, I used both AWStats and Webalizer in the past and had no troubles installing it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's amazing how many stats programs have no protection whatsoever - anyone can get into them. But perhaps that's for another thread.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well, you should always .htaccess protect your stats. (If you've an Apache web server - I have no idea what's possible with others.)

HTH,
    Karl

ABW Ambassador
    None of the demo screen shots show it - does awstats actually show the full referring url? webalizer doesn't and the guy who wrote it thinks it is a stupid idea - can tell he never ran a big site, being able to see forum messages or the exact page in the search engine is in valuable.

Thanks

Chet

Oh, while I'm in this thread, I should probably mention the logging tool I'm currently: Power Phlogger. It shows refers, top 30 searches, top 20 search engines and hits, daily and hourly visitors and daily page views - most of the stuff you'd want. It's free, and it doesn't have to be installed at your host - it's a javascript program that only requires the installation of a couple of scripts (if you're using SSI, it only takes seconds to install).

It's better than Analog, IMO (although you can have both, as I do), tho' not quite as good as awstats (which is why I'm trying to get awstats installed!).

[edited by Janiss for grammar - geez, I'm such a GD writer/editor!]

[ 08-01-2002: Message edited by: Janiss ]

ABW Ambassador
    I installed Advance Logger four days ago (a recomendation from Marky).

It was easy to install, it gives me the stats I need and to date runs fine.

There is a free version and a more comprehensive version that costs $29.95

Hope that helps.

Right now I'm looking for a log analyzer program that will run on my PC that lets me view my downloaded server logs locally. I want to extract the data and run queries against it.

Anyone know of a good one?

ABW Ambassador
    Any app like phlogger will give you amazingly inaccurate stats. If someone has javascript off, doesn't accept cookies, depending on their cache settings and your server settings, you can get wildly different stats.

Plus it doesn't cover any bandwidth issues.

At least by going through server logs, you know what you really sent. If someone viewed the page more than once by going back and forth through their browser cache, oh well, at least you know you didn't send out the page again.

Chet

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eaglefire:
    Right now I'm looking for a log analyzer program that will run on my PC that lets me view my downloaded server logs locally. I want to extract the data and run queries against it.

Anyone know of a good one?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you on that one eagle. My new computer is coming tomorrow (tick tock counting down until Fed Ex knocks on my door) and I'm installing Office XP. I'm hoping to be able to set up something in Access to do that sort of thing with my downloaded server logs.

ABW Ambassador
    Eaglefire,

For a log analyser that runs on your PC, try HappyLog. I think it's still about $30 or so - but it is very good (though you'll have to update the search engine files).
    http://www.axolot.com/happylog/ - should do what you want.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast