Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    GoDaddy - domain name highjacking?
    Uhmmmmmmm - I just bought a domain name through GoDaddy - it's the title of a book I wrote which includes "the" which is in the title. As soon as I got that .com, I tried to register the .com without the "the" in the title but it was already taken. This is a word I made up so WTF??? NO ONE would have bought that specific domain name "???.com" so what's going on? Is GoDaddy grabbing all variations as soon as someone buys a name and holding them hostage? Anyone else ever have this happen?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Question
    hasn't there been some discussion somewhere lately? like if you fail to register one somewhere within a certain period of time it is "taken" for a week or two then may return to the market?

some registrars exhibiting suspicious behavior?

ABW Ambassador
    "NO ONE would have bought that specific domain name "???.com" so what's going on?"

When was that one registered?

Rexanne,
    The domain business is a multi-BILLION dollar industry... "if" you want to call it an INDUSTRY.... more like a bunch of SCAMMERS looking for a free ride...
    The internet is so much like the wild west that it is ridiculous....

I wouldn't put it past any Registrar to track and buy all names searched for on their site... Holding domains hostage is a HUGE BUSINESS....... With GoDaddy's Domain Auctions I wouldn't put it past them...

There should be a LAW against that and a bunch of other things ONLINE... But the LAW hasn't caught up yet... and when there are no LAWS people just go nuts and do what they want....

The only thing you can do is BUY EVERYTHING you happen to search for if it is available.... otherwise you'll pay big bucks for it later........

ONE QUESTION THOUGH:::::
    Is this a book you had PUBLISHED...??
    If so you may have the right to get the domain regardless -- if you want to put in a TradeMark dispute and get ICANN to release the domain to you....
    BUT... you'll still be spending money... it costs about $1,500 to file a domain dispute.... (if I remember correctly)

Internet Cowboy
    If it is a clear and flagrant case of them squatting on something you made up you can challenge them and win.

Might be a domain kiter. Basically registrars get 5 days to get a full refund on domains so some of them register huge numbers every five days. Try again in exactly 5 days.

Also, don't visit the domain. If it gets traffic they're more likely to try to re-register for another 5 days or make it permanent.

GoDaddy Bob has spoken out against the practice, but it happened to me at GoDaddy too. 5 days later I got my domain...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Uhmmmmmmm - I just bought a domain name through GoDaddy - it's the title of a book I wrote which includes "the" which is in the title. As soon as I got that .com, I tried to register the .com without the "the" in the title but it was already taken. This is a word I made up so WTF??? NO ONE would have bought that specific domain name "???.com" so what's going on? Is GoDaddy grabbing all variations as soon as someone buys a name and holding them hostage? Anyone else ever have this happen?
    why didn't you buy both domain names at once? since you are already aware of the variation.
    why did you have to do it one after another? that doesn't make sense.
    by "soon", do you mean 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day or 1 month?
    did you even check the domain before, if it is available?
    i sense that there's more to it that you're not telling.

if it's the title of the book you wrote, was the book published already before you bought the domain?

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread