Should I make the change?
    Hi all,

I am thinking about moving to a new affiliate network. Currently using LinkShare and would like to know some advantages and disadvantages on moving. I am not seeing much increase in sales generated from our program with over 2,000 affiliates. I screen the sites to make sure they are suitable and have begun some one-on-one relationships with some of them. What works well for you guys out there? What networks do you prefer to work with? My current affiliates will get upset and I don't want that so should I not be considering the change? You all are much more experienced than myself and that is why I come to you for insight!

Thanks

A program's success is not measured by the number of those thousands of affiliates you have on board, but by the quality of these affiliates, and the stats on how many of them actually send you the traffic and the sales... The position of ABW-ers on networks is expressed in various posts (use that "Search" button) throughout the year, as well as though the "Affiliate Network of the Year" poll at the end of each year. You may view the results of the year 2005 voting here. One of the recent posts by Nadeem on the Top 5 US Networks may also help you to see affiliate opinions on various networks... Search around ABW and you will find lots of material on this topic.

Geno

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinLife1
    I screen the sites to make sure they are suitable and have begun some one-on-one relationships with some of them.
    You mean like iGive and ShopAtHome/ShopAtHomeSelect?

As much as I would like to jump on the bandwagon (which I'm sure will be coming shortly) and recommend my favorite network (which is the favorite of most affiliates here), I don't think the problem is just the network.

A network will naturally recruit affiliates for you, but it's not a network's responsibility or primary purpose to recruit affiliates. That's your responsibility, as the affiliate manager. Almost as important as the recruitment is the activation of your recruited affiliates. Thousands of inactive affiliates won't do you any good until you figure out how to get them active. If you're spread too thin (or don't feel like you have the expertise to do it), you might want to look into an OPM (like Geno, or any of the others you see regularly here on ABW) who can help. If you have the time and desire to do it yourself, you might want to attend Andy Rodriguez's next Affiliate Manager Training seminar so you can learn from the best.

With that said, let me now give you my answer to your original question. Should you make the change? You should certainly consider it. If the volume of orders you've been receiving isn't increasing, it's probably very hard to justify the steep monthly fee that you pay out. When you look at all these factors, they all point to a single network:

1) The costs that you'll incur from the network.
    2) What affiliates like.
    3) What honest OPM's recommend.
    4) Clean network.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yes Donuts! We appreciate your hard work. What can I do to help increase sales on your sites? I am looking into getting approval to start a forum on ABW. Do you think that would help? I do. I have quality affiliates such as yourself and don't want to lose any if we were to move to a new network. Got any other ideas for me?

An ABW forum is great, really great - but only if both listening and speaking are involved.

Got any other ideas for me?
    Sure, read Coley's post another 100 times...

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    I am not seeing much increase in sales generated from our program with over 2,000 affiliates.
    Jared, it's not the quantity. We have one program with 900 affiliates, 100 active and doing $500K a month. We have others with tons of affiliates sucking wind....

The magic bullet for affiliate marketing has not been invented, its a combination of different ingrediants that will make or break your program. Michael explained it very well, he has his finger on the pulse and knows the industry inside out. I'll echo what D-man said - re read his post and if you dont understand, shoot me off an email.

You do have an interesting market with potentially high ticket sales. There are many other factors involved though....

To your success,
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Thanks Andy

I see most of our top affiliates are coupon sites. Thats no problem for me and I understand that having more affiliates does not mean more money. I have been trying to find affiliates on my own lately and that is due to the fact that we are in a different type of market. Our average orders are over $500 so there is definately money to made. I will continue to read as much as I can on this forum and know I will learn a great deal.

Thank you to all of you for your advice and patience!

There are many here who will see iGive and ShopAtHome/ShopAtHomeSelect in your program and not join. Learn more about how these guys impact your other affiliates as well as your team's inhouse seo and ppc. Once you learn, I think you'll give them the boot. Until then, best of luck to you.

Thanks I will do that. I think I'm beggining to see what you are saying about those sites. I would like to see how they are affecting our SEO. PPC I can see. I will do some research tonight and we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Can you provide some insight on how these guys are affecting the general population of affiliates. They only offer coupons and offer people money for shopping. I can see how that would upset other affiliates that do not or cannot afford to offer the same. What other reason are there? Are they promoting any illegal activity? Of course I would prefer the majority of my affiliates be happy than have 2 or 3 make all the sales.

I appreciate your help!

search here for SAHS and you'll find plenty about how they operate to pilfer merchants and others.

15 years and counting
    Donuts - There are many here who will see iGive and ShopAtHome/ShopAtHomeSelect in your program and not join. Learn more about how these guys impact your other affiliates as well as your team's inhouse seo and ppc. Once you learn, I think you'll give them the boot. Until then, best of luck to you.
    It seems you are attracting the wrong crowd. Listen to Andy and Donuts. We need a network as an "escrow account" or a "trusted third party" to track our sales and pay us on time. We don't really care as long as all is fair.
    Working with eBates, uPromise, SchooPop, iGive, Shop at Home... is a clear warning to avoid you for most of us.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    The magic bullet for affiliate marketing has not been invented..
    I swear that somebody mentioned that they found the magic bullet. Alan, did u lose the bullet again?

I think M Coley's comments are good. Just read around and you will find what aff and merchants are looking for.

Aff marketing is nothing spontaneous. Unless you have a high converting website with a good PPC guru working as your affiliate, then you are able to see high growth rate..

trying to find affiliates on my own lately
    You could find the ones you USED TO HAVE by setting up shop on Shareasale.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    I swear that somebody mentioned that they found the magic bullet.
    Magic Bullet Thread
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks David. We are considering the move.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread