ABW Ambassador
    There was a nice thread about what motivates people, but I was wondering the opposite. What is it that makes you sometimes think of packing this affiliate mularky in. For me, I have thought (and with last two days stats being so bad am thinking about it again :mad: ) about packing it in because of too many highs and lows. A few days can bring great results and then the next few very little. I NEED STABILITY - so perhaps this is the wrong business?

I know that if I ever thought it would take so long to be where I am today, I would not have started this last September/October. However, since doing this full time instead of a hobby (April 2002), money has increased 10 fold. Now, if only I could get another 10 fold increase I would be happy.

I've never thought about packing it in. Occasionally I've asked myself if this deserves all the time I put into it, but when the end of the month comes around and my commissions are higher than the month before, I remember why I put the time into it (and it encourages me to put even more time into it).

Hang in there and keep trying new things!

ABW Ambassador
    Last year, when everyone was posting their goals for the coming year, my number one goal (and perhaps the only one I posted) was to not allow my emotions go on the same roller-coaster ride my stats were on. Good sales day? I was happy. Bad Sales day? I was blue.

The only cure I found (and I did find one) was getting above a certain income level... a livable income level. One days worth of stats doesn't determine my mood anymore.

When I was on the rollercoaster it was because every bad sales day meant I might need to brush up the old resume. Every penny counted. Now a bad sales day means some icing off the cake, but the cake is still there... the cure? BUILD MORE PAGES. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

>> I NEED STABILITY - so perhaps this is the wrong business?

Define stability. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Before doing AM, I was employed in Corporate America -- in less than 5 years I went through two corporate buyouts and one corporate bankruptcy. There is no sense of stability when you're constantly in "re-organization" (and all three of those situations ended with me looking for another j*b).

Affiliate Marketing is not stable... IMO, neither is anything else. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

At this point, nothing makes me think about packing it in. That doesn't mean I don't look at other options in case this should suddenly go bad -- the past five years in Corporate America opened my eyes to the benefits of planning for the worst... over and over again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cedric:
    Last year, when everyone was posting their goals for the coming year, my number one goal (and perhaps the only one I posted) was to not allow my emotions go on the same roller-coaster ride my stats were on. Good sales day? I was happy. Bad Sales day? I was blue.

The only cure I found (and I did find one) was getting above a certain income level... a livable income level. One days worth of stats doesn't determine my mood anymore.

When I was on the rollercoaster it was because every bad sales day meant I might need to brush up the old resume. Every penny counted. Now a bad sales day means some icing off the cake, but the cake is still there... the cure? BUILD MORE PAGES. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Cedric
    This is what I suspected and you post has confirmed to me that I just need to build more pages - a message from the Gods if you like.

Thanks

I should add that I no longer look at my daily stats. I look more at my monthly ones, realizing that some months will be lower than others. Generally there is a steady increase in commissions and I'm at a point where I can look at last year to see if a drop is a seasonal thing or something else.

I've started making minor goals as well as the big ones and I pick things I will notice daily so I have that continual reminder of what I have accomplished. My next goal is a new roof on my house. Perhaps after that it will be to redecorate an entire room in our house or replace that old clunker we are driving. But it needs to be something I see every day to remind me of what I have (and can) accomplish.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 7-days:
    I should add that I no longer look at my daily stats. I look more at my monthly ones.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't tell me you only log into CJ once a month. Go on admit it, you check your stats every hour on the hour
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] , even to the point of setting your alarm for the middle of the night so as not to miss anything (now where did I get that idea from?).

Seriously - a good outlook if you can hack it. I cannot.

Oh, Yeah Baby! I check those stats at least once an hour. But I don't let it get me depressed. I keep checking it hoping my ship will come in and there will be that big commission. Kind of like buying lottery tickets. Except I don't buy lottery tickets any more. Affiliate commissions is a much more sure thing!!!

ABW Ambassador
    For further clarification: I check my stats EVERY day, several times a day. There's a difference between stats ruling my emotions and my Stats Addiction.

However, I went on vacation and never once worried about checking my stats. But hey, when I'm here at the computer? I CHECK. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cedric:
    For further clarification: I check my stats EVERY day, several times a day. There's a difference between stats ruling my emotions and my Stats Addiction.

However, I went on vacation and never once worried about checking my stats. But hey, when I'm here at the computer? I CHECK. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I checked mine on holiday - it was my first year wedding anniversary. You know what my wife said?

How much we made honey?

Now that is a cool wife.

Andy,

Sometimes it is a roller coaster ride, but your not alone ... we are all here to support and motivate you. Imagine how low you'd feel if you were alone [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img], our family is here to Hug you and to kick you in the but to make more pages ... I don't think I've ever seen such a compilation of merchant bonus plans (overstock, coldwatercreek, TigerDirect, 123inkjets and the others). What I'd do is build a few pages for them each and take advantage of the offers and see some more ka-ching come in (nothing like a few benjamins to make you feel better :cool: ).

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Haiko.
    I know that I am not going to give up and this time next year I will be motivating others to keep going.

Was going to post more, but am filling up [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread