Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    SAS Merchants Rock!
    5 minutes ago I logged in to get a link...

Saw one of my SAS merchants was temp offline

Used the "Contact This Merchant" form saying "Please fix this"

She already responded

and

She already is no longer temp offline

She doesn't hang out here, otherwise I'd name her publically

ABW Ambassador
    That's not an example I would use for SAS Merchants Rock She should have never been offline in the first place, who knows how many affiliate sales were lost. Is this just a temp fix where they could go offline at any minute again or did she finally do the right thing and get on auto deposit?

http and a telephoto
    Sometimes you can go offline even on autodeposit. I say having an AM that gets it fixed asap is a GOOD thing....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

We were featured on the Rachael Ray Show and have been inundated with orders. The share a sale account went down faster than I could blink.
    I have to add gibberish - it says above message is too short to post

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    TN1 is right, it's not a glowing endorsement cuz it starts with a negative, then gets fixed with a positive. But I agree with the others that the fix speed here far outweighs the offline status incident that caused it.

Ideally, no merchants would ever go offline - but we all know that'll never be the case.

So TN1, ask yourself, if this happened at other networks, would affiliates know, could affiliates alert merchants to situations, would this have gotten fixed as fast, would Billy have a mental note to watch this for recurrences, and on and on? So I'm saying I'd add to the good side of this observed event, SAS ROCKS because affiliates are communicated to, where in other networks, you might get the surprise no pay story 3 months later instead...

ABW Ambassador
    "So TN1, ask yourself, if this happened at other networks, would affiliates know, could affiliates alert merchants to situations, would this have gotten fixed as fast, would Billy have a mental note to watch this for recurrences, and on and on?"

No other network has merchants going offline as much as SAS. So it's not something I worry about with other networks. And if they go offline at other networks, I get an email. So specifically talking about this subject, merchants going offine, SAS would rock if they finally fixed this problem. Make auto deposit mandatory, set the bar higher, something. I had enough of this problem when I started that Auto Deposit thread over 2 years ago. And then you still have, as Loxly stated, merchants going offline that are on Auto Deposit. An affiliate shouldn't have to tell a merchant they're offline and to get back online. It's a problem.
    Last edited by Trust; December 11th, 2006 at 06:11 PM.

I agree. As an AM I would rather know and have other make me aware if there are problems with my account. I would never try to cheat any affiliate out of money for making a sale for me because I know how important they are to the business. I feel the same way about our customers. Bad PR is good for nobody!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    No other network has merchants going offline as much as SAS.
    Got proof of that?

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    And if they go offline at other networks, I get an email.
    And these are automated processes that alert you to most cases of problems as soon as they occur - these emails you receive, come spitting out of CJ (or who ever) without human intervention and you're able to know whenever there's the first sign of a problem? you're confusing degrees of transparency with lack of any problems, but if that makes you comfy, have fun.

ABW Ambassador
    "Got proof of that?"

Donuts I'm actually an affiliate in all the major networks, so yes, it's what I see. Are you that biased towards one network that you can pretend this isn't a problem? Why do you think this thread was even started in the first place?

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=48659

I got tired of merchants going offline all the time, a thread started over 2 years ago out of frustration of seeing the merchants I signed up with going offline.

"I'm trying to only use auto deposit merchants because temp offline just isn't going to cut it. Maybe this will inspire other merchants to move to auto deposit if affiliates only promote those who use this feature. Good for affiliates, merchants and SAS."

And in this thread Billy is having to tell a merchant they're offline and to get back online. It's why I only work with Auto Deposit merchants.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't know the "Rachel Ray Show" (sorry, but to me, video games > TV ) but if it's got a big audience, I could see it wiping out whatever CC a smaller merchant had on file. If the coverage was a surprise (doubtful, but it could happen) the account could easily go down. However, if they had warning, I'm surprised they didn't cover for the surge. It's just not senseful to allow a rush of buyers to end up on SAS's "deactivated" page!

But, it does seem like the merchant really did know the account was offline ("went down faster than I could blink"), yet she waited for the email to do something about it. Not exacly a glowing point in their favor!

ABW Ambassador
    Look I'm stupid, somehow a merchant not on Auto Deposit was still left on my site. Just happened to be working on my pet page and was clicking thru them:

http://www.doggiftshop.com/

Last Commissionable Transaction through Affiliate: 12/09/2006 07:55.03 AM
    Last Compliance Test Completed: 11-Dec-06 Today

The link is not currently active.

Temporarily Offline

So if that's one of your merchants, your links aren't working.

aargh!
    that's one of my pet merchants
    aargh!

I agree with Trust.. "who knows how many affiliate sales were lost"

And this is an example of why SAS and their merchants DO NOT ROCK........

When merchants go offline AFFILIATES lose sales... How is that ROCKING...??
    How is that "Affiliate Freindly"........?????

How is not addressing much of anything in this thread AFFILIATE FREINDLY....
    And why do ABWers continue to support SAS... when practically nothing they do is affiliate freindly...??

Their affiliate interface is not FREINDLY
    Their datafeeds are not very FREINDLY at all...
    Their merchants OFFLINE status is REALLY NOT FREINDLY
    Their affiliates posing as merchants - NOT FREINDLY

Tell me exactly what it is that ABWers love so much about SAS...???

While I'm just making up numbers here (and pointing out this was supposed to be a complimentary post)

I bet I loose less with temp offline SAS merchants with no parasites

then ONLINE merchants on other networks WITH parasites

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    How is not addressing much of anything in this thread AFFILIATE FREINDLY....
    AddHandler,

You are entitled to your opinion, but specifically to this point above we have addressed a ton of issues in that thread... I know, because I spent a lot of my year on it personally... There is an online spreadsheet that tracks a lot of the items, and a printout right next to my computer with a list of things I need to get to from that thread...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    AddHandler,

I feel you, but you asked what ABWers like so much about SAS. Let me offer you one:

Integrity, integrity, integrity.
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Internet Cowboy
    I always heard that this business is about relationships. The deeper into the business I get, the more I see that is 100% correct. SAS is a company that actually allows affiliates to have a relationship with them. Instead of sitting atop some office somewhere and hurling one-way communication to the masses, SAS actually communicates and encourages feedback. I have seen first hand that making a suggestion to Brian can get it implemented on his network.

Is SAS perfect? No way! But they are willing to at least listen to the ones who make them what they are about ideas, concerns and industry issues. There is no other network that has as many merchants as SAS does where I can IM the owner and ask a question or even ***** about something (not that I would ever do that ...) in real time or send an email that gets a response in 5 minutes.

I will say that there are some new networks that I am intrigued with and will work with in the very near future. But they have a limited merchant pool, not that that is a bad thing...they are new. SAS was new once, so was CJ, LS and everyone else.

Compared to networks with 1000 merchants or more, SAS is more reliable, offers TONS better communication, is equal in payment time and works lightyears harder than the others to maintain a level playing field for all affiliates. The fact that they are all very nice people is nice, but secondary in my business assessment of them.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Tell me exactly what it is that ABWers love so much about SAS...???
    Too many to list at this time of the night but a couple that stand out -
    Ethics and Trust that are not for sale in an industry plagued by scum
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, ethics, trust, integrity, I agree, they have that. But that didn't stop this from happening:

"Saw one of my SAS merchants was temp offline"

"Temporarily Offline
    aargh!
    that's one of my pet merchants
    aargh!"

It's time to fix that. Everytime a merchant goes offline like that, it's not a good reflection. You don't make money with offline merchants. I'm trying to set my personal feelings aside because no matter how much I like somebody, I still don't make money with offline merchants. Are there plans to fix this once and for all and if so, what is the date? And if there are no plans to fix this, why? That's what I'm doing for tonight, going thru to make sure I don't have any more merchants like that pet one above. I'm actually pissed at myself for missing that one.

Let me rephrase that question then...
    Why do ABWers push SAS so religiously regardless...?? like there are no other networks with integrity... no other networks that are parasite free... no other networks that are not run by SCUM...

Frankly SAS is not my network of choice... and I would like to see new merchants coming into ABW given other choices rather than just SAS. I find it really hard to work with the SAS datafeed format and the SAS affiliate interface.. compared to other networks.. and for example...

I haven't had links up or even logged into LinkShare in almost two years... and I still get MERCHANT OFFLINE e-mails.. I realize that all networks have merchants that go offline for one reason or another.. but I think SAS tops them all... at least by what I see on ABW... more merchant offline posts in the SAS forum than any where else... and they usually end up with the affiliate having to contact the merchant and "let them know"...

Integrity is a great thing to have... honesty, relationships, communication all that is good... but is that all... No there has to be something else - as in tools.. ease of use... affiliate freindly.. and basically just keeping up with the eb and flow of the net... SAS falls short in all the areas accept integrity, honesty, relationships, communication ... and that isn't enough for me to push them religiously... that is why I ask the question...

Thumbs up
    SAS falls short in all the areas accept integrity, honesty, relationships, communication
    The reason why we are all reveling and praising SaS is because those traits are the hardest to achieve and gain in any business, the rest, is the "easy part".

Notwithstanding, that doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't other networks that members also love, it just means that there are "more" vocal members who love praising SaS.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    AddHandler,

Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion and I wont try to convince you But if you let me know what it is about the Datafeed or Interface that makes either difficult for you to work with, I will definitely look into it or at the very least let you know why we do something the way we do.

Offline merchants are a huge problem - and one that we've been working on for quite a while. There is an RSS feed which notifies affiliates instantly when merchants do go offline, which might help anyone looking for notification, but the bigger problem and the one we are working on is trying to find a solution to merchants going offline in the first place. We communicate (at least attempt) with merchants while their account is getting low and when it goes offline but for some reason many merchants look at their program as something they can turn "on and off" at their will..

We've tried notification and we've tried "custom redirects" to try and protect your traffic but admittedly they have not worked near as well as I would want them to. Trust asked if we have a plan - and we do - but I don't think there is any solution that will work overnight... In my opinion we have made progress in this area as I see things from a perspective of the "whole network", but I will agree with you in that when a merchant goes offline it is a huge huge problem especially in a time like now around the holidays.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    "We communicate (at least attempt) with merchants while their account is getting low and when it goes offline but for some reason many merchants look at their program as something they can turn "on and off" at their will."

As far as that, maybe they look at their program as something they can turn on and off at will because they can. Brian, it's your network, you can set the rules for merchants to follow if they want to be in your network. Those merchants that think they can go on and off at will, boot them. Those merchants that do that aren't serious about their affiliate program, let another network have them. It's just something that shouldn't be tolerated. Merchants can only do what you allow.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    My input on this thread is pretty simple.

We enjoy working with SaS. Probably no network will ever be perfect in every way. Nor will any affiliate, merchant, AM or OPM. We reviewed and considered them all, but in the end decided on SaS, and we have been very happy with our decision. No hype here and no butt kiss - just a business decision that has been a good one.

Best To All

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Internet Cowboy
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. Make them keep $500 ahead on their account, as volume increases, increase the amount held back. Any merchant who is running too close to be able to float $500 - $1000 is not worth promoting anyway and has no business in affiliate marketing.
    Do this and you will still be much easier and less expensive than any other networks your size. This will help greatly in erasing the "on and off" mindset. You turn PPC on and off, not your affiliate program.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast