Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Exclamation What are the absurd rates CJ charges for Emailing Affiliates?
    I recently emailed a merchant as I had noticed they had expired me and I asked them why and why I had not been notified. Here is their reply which is worrying because I never had any idea they are charging merchants to send email and this must mean I have not been getting loads of emails with promotions etc from many merchants:

I apologize; we ended our agreement with Commission Junction. We should have sent a note out to our affiliates but with the absurd rates CJ charges for emails to affiliates/members we chose not to. There was nothing
    personal intended towards you.

We are in the process of putting in place an in house affiliate program
    which should be up and running at the start of the new year.

Again I apologize for any problems we have caused you.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The bright side is that at least the merchant wrote to you. Also sounds like they will have an indy program for you soon, so at least you have that to look forward to & that's a good thing...
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    Glinted, is that World of Watches/Ashford that you were talking about in the other thread? They have an indy program coming up?

Am glad atleast they have replied your email. Just because i have an advertiser in CJ which never pays me for the past 3 months exactly and i have emailed them asking for the reason but ended up with no response.

ABW Ambassador
    Trust, no this is not them, it was Always On Wireless and yes it was good of them to get back to me promptly..

I think everyone is missing the point of this thread which is that CJ are charging for merchants to send us email and how many promotions from merchants have I been missing out on?
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ABW Ambassador
    Ok thanks.

"how many promotions from merchants have I been missing out on?"

Probably not that much since it's the main way merchants communicate with affiliates.

>>CJ are charging for merchants to send us email

do you know how cj calculated the cost charged to merchant ?
    another reason for them to expire "not so active affiliates" ?

too bad

Their rates are not absurd. For a program with around 4000 publishers (with 4000 emails to send out), I haven't seen a cost of over $120 for that. That's very reasonable considering that the publisher is not using their own server resources for that.

This advertiser couldn't spend maybe a few hundred dollars just to keep some affiliates with them when they open a new program? Something sounds suspicious there.

Oh, and if they terminated you personally (and did not leave the network), it's free for advertisers to email affiliates individually through CJ mail. Advertisers can also see the real email addresses of most affiliates, so that is another possible route for personal communication.

Thus cj email cost money for merchant,
    while send direct to your mail box after extract your contact is FREE ?

Well, thats not fair. I am wondering whats going on... Even SMS and calls worldwide has become free these days. Atleast for some trail run. Its pathetic in merchents side to be charged by CJ. Can anyone do something about this?

I get 10 emails a day from 1 merchant who has an Indi and a Cj program.

All 10 come from the Indi. The CJ program they send an email about once in a blue moon. I haven't recieved one in two months via CJ from them.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Their rates are not absurd. For a program with around 4000 publishers (with 4000 emails to send out), I haven't seen a cost of over $120 for that. That's very reasonable considering that the publisher is not using their own server resources for that.

Jashua, You are very lucky to send an HTML email through cj with 4,000 publishers for 120. The cheapest I have seen with html is around 300 - 500 which is crazy. Unless you are only planning on only hitting 100 of your publishers, then that uis normal pricing for them but you would not be hitting all of them. To recruit new publishers via email is a crazy price as well. If for some reason you get better rates then the rest of us, I would strongly reccomend hiding that from CJ and taking full advantage of it. They will reverse it as quickly as possible if they are undercharging anyone for anything. I got yelled at by a very rude customer service rep because I compensated an affiliate with a cash bonus via visa giftcard because CJ didn't get 30% of the funds, however it was a gift because the affiliate contacted me almost daily and really worked hard at our program and got it to launch.

If the email was just sent to current publishers and not html, then it is 100% free and the merchant should have sent it regardless and that merchant either doesn't know about the free send to current puiblishers or they were just lazy. In their defense though, good for them for getting backto you quickly. Sounds like they have a good and responsive AM =0)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I can't complain. I get way too many recruitment spams as it is! I don't even want to imagine how jammed my inbox would be if they could do email blasts for free.

As for communication with merchants I'm already joined with, I do think they should get maybe 1 free emailing per week, or even 1 every other week. But not unlimited free ones. Some merchants get a kick out of spamming their affiliates to death. HardwareGeek's example is just the kind of thing having a fee prevents:

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I get 10 emails a day from 1 merchant who has an Indi and a Cj program.

All 10 come from the Indi.
    10 A DAY!!! That's just ridiculous. They'd have to be selling wildly for me to pretend to put up with that. (Yeah, pretend: I'd set up a seperate email box for them and proceed to ignore it!)

I think the best solution would be if CJ allowed a certain amount of free mass mailings per month, and then charged for any more than that. It'd allow important communications to happen without restriction, while putting a lid on the more spammorific merchants.

Affiliate Manager
    When I launched zZounds' secondary affiliate program on CJ, I asked about the email fees. Apparently this was first instituted as spam prevention, to protect their publishers from overzealous merchant emails.

And if you think about it, it makes sense. If they allowed merchants free reign on email newsletters, the spam would be mountainous. As a result, the CJ publisher account email would lose value to publishers. Personally, I wouldn't check my account email if I was receiving hundreds of spam newsletters each day.

- The lesser the spam, the greater the value of the account email for publishers.
    - The greater the value to publishers, the greater the value to merchants.
    - The greater the value to both, the greater the value to CJ.

Personally, I think the "absurd rates" mention was a cop-out. It should cost the merchant only a few cents per email to affiliates. And shouldn't every merchant feel that their affiliates are worth a hell of a lot more than just a few pennies?

That's my 2 cents. (get it?)
    -Mike Payne-

ABW Ambassador
    If the email was just sent to current publishers and not html, then it is 100% free
    That would be perfect if merchants just sent me text emails just with the text links i.e

Promo: Free Shipping
    Exp: 25th Dec/07
    Link: *http.www*....

Promo: 10% Off Sitewide
    Exp: 25th Dec/07
    Link: *http.www*....

next.... etc

this would be bliss if I received emails like this instead of these full on HTML Fully Pimped graphic heavy spam promotional junk that usually gets sent straight to the Junk box. It takes about 5 minutes to just try to work out where the promotions are in the emails most of the time, I think most AM's jjust don't have a clue when it comes to email. One of the best emails I get are from Overstock who have a text email sent out with all my tracking code etc and I can just copy & paste it into my CMS and it takes very little work to add the links.

I think the best solution would be if CJ allowed a certain amount of free mass mailings per month,
    Sounds like a good idea..

If they allowed merchants free reign on email newsletters, the spam would be mountainous.
    thats good point

Advertisers can also see the real email addresses of most affiliates
    Yes I often get non affiliate related spam to my CJ email account and I would love to know who is sending it and I know it's from AM's from the type of promotions included?

Online Marketing Consultant
    Affiliates are worth a hecvk of a lot more to us then a few cents per email. the problem isn;t you guys. It is the list and how well we can break it down and target. If I was presented a list with 100 B2B focused affiliates who all know the wholesale, liquidation and bulk lot auction industries, price would not matter. The probelm from what I see with the CJ recruiting list is I get to do it by country and not what the affiliates mainly focus on.

I do know that many of you have multiple sites in multiple industries so I wouldn't count that out. You could very well have a site that would be perfect for us. But it is the value of the list and the people who will recieve it that determines if the costs are worth the end results.

I agree our affiliates are worth a lot more than a few cents per name, but I also have to justify the spend to the higher ups and show the results to them as well. List buying and e-mail blasting is tricky from our end because we have to justify the costs to people who might not know much about the industry thus putting ourselves in very uncomfortable situations at times. I prefer to advertise to recruit instead of email blasting but if my dream list came along, I would pay a heck of a lot for it because you all are more than worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I can't complain. I get way too many recruitment spams as it is! I don't even want to imagine how jammed my inbox would be if they could do email blasts for free.

As for communication with merchants I'm already joined with, I do think they should get maybe 1 free emailing per week, or even 1 every other week. But not unlimited free ones. Some merchants get a kick out of spamming their affiliates to death. HardwareGeek's example is just the kind of thing having a fee prevents:

10 A DAY!!! That's just ridiculous. They'd have to be selling wildly for me to pretend to put up with that. (Yeah, pretend: I'd set up a seperate email box for them and proceed to ignore it!)

I think the best solution would be if CJ allowed a certain amount of free mass mailings per month, and then charged for any more than that. It'd allow important communications to happen without restriction, while putting a lid on the more spammorific merchants.
    This site updates their deals daily and I honestly don't mind as they are bringing me in good money. Also send me 500 dollars woth of merchandise to give away.

http and a telephoto
    Text newsletters are certainly *not* free to send out via the CJ merchant interface. I would like to see *one* newsletter per month included in their fees... over that would be spam, but once a month should be encouraged.... IMO..
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    "Jashua, You are very lucky to send an HTML email through cj with 4,000 publishers for 120. The cheapest I have seen with html is around 300 - 500 which is crazy."

Damn, that is crazy. What I use for my newsletter is $20 for 3,000 and there is probably cheaper out there. I think that's why a lot of CJ merchants sometimes ask for an email address to where they can contact you. CJ doesn't let the merchants see that information, so they're kind of stuck with the CJ system unless they get your email some other way.

I only read emails from merchants I do business with. The rest of them go straight to my spam box.

Those prices are nuts! I'm with LS and I can send out 1500 full HTML newsletters for free every month....and LS isn't known to be "thrifty" with their fees...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    In CJ's defense, I'm glad they charge - it makes merchants think before blasting. They probably take tons of heat from their existing and prospective merchants because of it too. I don't believe this is a money making idea for CJ, but a check put in place to prevent us from being deluged.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    This site updates their deals daily and I honestly don't mind as they are bringing me in good money. Also send me 500 dollars woth of merchandise to give away.
    Good money tends to keep the Drop Button away, alright! Like I said, I'd play along in that case, too. Not that I'd actually read that many emails from one place...

But daily updates should mean ONE email/day. Now I'm curious: I can't see where they'd come up with 9 more emails/day worth of stuff!

It sounds like you do well with them, but I remember some CJ merchants who were absolute duds...but were still about as prolific with the emails, and worse yet, their emails almost always had no useful information in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidate
    Jashua, You are very lucky to send an HTML email through cj with 4,000 publishers for 120. The cheapest I have seen with html is around 300 - 500 which is crazy. Unless you are only planning on only hitting 100 of your publishers, then that uis normal pricing for them but you would not be hitting all of them. To recruit new publishers via email is a crazy price as well. If for some reason you get better rates then the rest of us, I would strongly reccomend hiding that from CJ and taking full advantage of it. They will reverse it as quickly as possible if they are undercharging anyone for anything. I got yelled at by a very rude customer service rep because I compensated an affiliate with a cash bonus via visa giftcard because CJ didn't get 30% of the funds, however it was a gift because the affiliate contacted me almost daily and really worked hard at our program and got it to launch.
    I'm not sure if CJ bases the final number on the emails opened or the emails sent. I don't manage the affiliate program myself (I work more on search and stuff, but do have interaction with the affiliate programs), but I'll try to find out some more information. Recruiting new publishers is really expensive. One of our last emails to non-joined affiliates cost nearly $3000 if I remember. My company has found it worth it in the past, though. As for LS, we may be launching a program with them shortly, so I'll be able to get an idea of what their advantages are.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast