Kansas City - Plaza Lights
    Here in Kansas City we have a shopping/entertainment area that is well known for its beautiful Christmas Lights. (it takes them 3 months to put them up and 3 months to take them down) Each year on the evening of Thanksgiving they have a ceremony to "light" the Plaza Lights.

I thought I would share one picture from the "lighting" where they shoot off fireworks, and then one that also features one of our fountains as Kansas City is also known as the City of Fountains.

PS - I can't take credit - I did not take these pictures, I just wanted to share.

Sheri
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gorgeous! Simply gorgeous, Sheri!!

I want to come visit you now!

Geno

http and a telephoto
    Beautiful! Who took them?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

It really is a beautiful sight. Especially when it snows.

I don't know who took the pictures. I just Googled it and pulled up images and picked my favorites to show what it looks like.

I even found where Thomas Kinkade had made a painting of it. I may have to save up my money and buy that some day.

Sheri

(PS - I've been online too long. When I first spelled the word sight, I spelled it site. Geez.)

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Thank you Sheri, this brings back fond memories. I lived off the Plaza for several years in the late 80's. I stopped there 2 years ago with my step kids just after Thanksgiving. We took a carriage ride and they still talk about it. They will love the pictures.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I can vouch for the beauty of the main shopping area. I visited KC in October for a family reunion and we walked to our destination whenever possible. KC is a gorgeous city (and I'm not big on cities at all). It's almost like a treasure hunt looking for the fountains and reading the plaques on them. I got to visit the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum which was a lot of fun (I'd been to the MLB Hall Of Fame earlier in the year), and the whole city smells like barbecue, which is a treat for the senses.

Most of my family lives in the midwest and I tell you, if they had an ocean out that way I'd move there in a heartbeat. (Sorry Sheri, the Missouri River, beautiful as it is, doesn't count.) Those are some spectacular photos Sheri. You're lucky to live in such an exciting, beautiful city.

I understand the need for an ocean, but I've lived here my whole life so it would take something pretty life altering to get me to move.

I don't go down to the Plaza very often because it is a shopping district that is a little out of my price range. (Saks, Neiman Marcus, etc.) But it is really lovely even without the lights.

The fountains are beautiful as well. I'm not sure if this is just KC PR, but it is said that the only city with more fountains than Kansas City is Rome.

I attached two pictures of the most well known and my favorite. It is called the JC Nichols Memorial Fountain. One is a nightime shot and one a daytime shot.

Again, I can't take credit for the pictures.

Sheri
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hahaha! Sorry, the ocean is non-negotiable!

Actually, my cousin in Iowa is working on her hubby to move east when their daughter graduates high school and one of my cousins in Kansas would like to move east when she and her husband retire. I'm going to keep working on them until they do!

Ha! Rhea, I understand. I'm not trying to get people to move here, just thought that they were pretty photos. Although I doubt there is anywhere near an ocean where you can by a brand new, 4-bedroom house for less than $250K. To each his/her own. Everyone knows, there is no place like home.

Sheri

Looks like a great place to spend the holidays!

:wince: I know, I know. I made the mistake of checking out the real estate section of the newspaper. Just about broke my heart. All the barbecue you can eat and a beautiful house for waaaay less than it costs here. Not to mention the fact that my favorite cousins are within a few hours drive.

Still...you be sure to let me know when you guys get an ocean!

Internet Cowboy
    Great pics!
    Looks very similar to Natchitoches (pronounced Nakatish), Louisiana at Christmas time along Cane River. Light displays like this are really cool. Lots of work indeed.

Rhea,

If we get an ocean a whole lot of people are going to be in a whole lot of trouble.

I guess we'll just keep things the way they are.

Sheri

im going to kansas city next week im gonna be there!

Amazing shots!

KC? Who'd ever know that the city was so gorgeous if they hadn't been there?

Shhhhh!

All we KC'rs want is for you to show up, look at the pretty lights, buy lots of BBQ, then go home so our cost of living stays low!

Scott

Wow !! I really like the first picture, the fireworks and everything just look amazing !

Although it may be at this point that all of the hotels are already booked, it really is a great place if you just have a couple that is spending Thanksgiving with just the two of you. Just a little romantic getaway.

The Plaza is beautiful, the restaurants are amazing, and the spectacle that surrounds the lighting of the Plaza the evening of Thanksgiving Day is something to behold. Flights to Kansas City usually aren't that expensive and the KC airport is a breeze if you fly in the morning of Thanksgiving.

Just a thought.

Sheri

KC Plaza for the Holidays
    Hotels on the Plaza itself are already booked for NEXT YEAR, and several are booked years in advance.

But the Marriott Downtown you can get on just a couple weeks notice (or the President, etc., etc.) and they will shuttle you back and forth to the Plaza.

If you do visit KC... And your on the Plaza.. The Classic Cup is the only place I go anymore. Just love sitting on their outside deck with a cigar and a brandy.

Scott

Hmmm.... good memories. I lived in Lenexa, KS for 2 years and before that Pittsburg, KS for 3 years.

The lights were one of the prettiest that I have ever seen and the houses there in Kansas City (KS side) were the largest. Then again I was young and never owned a home before. Would love to go back and visit. It was back then a big difference between the KS side vs the MO side. Hope things have improved for MO.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread