Affiliate Manager
    Longer or Shorter Content?
    Hello All! So I'm starting to wonder, and I'm pretty sure others have the same question. If you were a customer, and you searched for a product on a particular search engine, it then leads you to a specific product, would you rather have a longer or shorter content? Would you rather want more information about the product, or less information? Obviously, I'm sure that people would rather want more information about a product than less..

I'm starting to think that my theory on longer contents just doesn't work on SEOs anymore. Does Search Engine like to read longer contents or shorter contents? Or do they just like NEW information in general?

With that being said, how about affiliates? Do affiliates prefer shorter contents on the data feed or longer ones?

::: praying that this subject is good enough to bring up upon everyone::::

Thanks everyone!

Both, as a consumer.

I like a nice short description of an item, BUT if I want more information another link like "more details" or "specifications" would be nice. I also love reviews as it helps in the purchasing decision (as many vendors have found).

ABW Ambassador
    uh oh, I see Leader reading.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've found that 2-3 paragraphs of description/sales spin is usually best for conversions on most items.

Less, and it doesn't convey enough info; much more, and the people lose interest.

There are exceptions for some product types. More expensive stuff, or more complicated stuff, tends to take more elaboration. Especially if there are cheaper options that appear--at first glance--to be pretty similar (but really aren't).

On the other hand, to have lots of spin on product pages for something very mundane and obvious like printer ink is overdoing it (although it should have at least 1 paragraph of spin, if for no other reasons than to keep the page from looking barren and to give the SEs something to index).

Whether SEs would like some other length, I don't know--I based these comments on the conversion ratios I've observed.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    uh oh, I see Leader reading.

I *DO* hope he/she's talking about SALES content...

"Do affiliates prefer shorter contents on the data feed or longer ones?"

This is an entirely different question than the "SE" angle.

My own personal preference is short descriptions with only the most imprtant features listed. Along with this would be a prompt for the customer to click through to the vendor site for "more" information. This is only a personal preference though, and may very well not be the most popular angle among affiliates.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Then again, as Leader said, on the seller's own site, the more information the better.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Oh, I forgot about the "feed" part of the question.

Generally I like at least a paragraph, since I'm not about to go through 1000+ (sometimes a lot more are in a feed, too) products trying to write individual stuff for each item! A FEED is supposed to eliminate manual stuff like that, that's the point of running 'em!

But in-feed descriptions shouldn't be so long that I can't get a paragraph of my own on the page along with 'em. I usually like to add some generic bit (same on all pages in the section) about the merchant or at least have some lead-in spin, and if the feed description is some 3-4 paragraph exposition along with that, the viewers will lose interest.

Another important factor is writing/feed quality! If a feed's descriptions are full of typos, oddball characters, HTML, and other junk that doesn't belong, it pretty much negates any positive effect, regardless of the length.

Also bad is when merchants recycle the same description/title/pic across several products, making it look like a sea of dupe content to the SEs--and making it so customers (and affiliates) can't determine what's different between each product. Even if the only thing that's different is the color or size, SAY SO in both the description and the title! If the same thing is listed 5x in a row with the same name and description, knowing that the SKUs are different doesn't give a flying clue as to what factor(s) make those items different from each other.

You can actually please both the search engines with longer text and give the user the option of reading more if they want. You can do this using javascript. For example if your product description was 5 paragraphs you could show the first 2 paragraphs and hide the other 3 using CSS and have button for the user to 'read more' the button would call the javascript to unhide the rest of the info. So the search engines have your full content indexed which I believe is better and you can also please your visitors who want short content and longer content, using javascript the page does not have to reload to display the extra info it's there already just hidden.

It doesn't matter if it is longer or shorter, it is what you do with it that counts.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Best 2 merchants showing real product content for techie buyers are TigerDirect and Vanns. Shoe merchants do an admirable job with multiple photos, reviews and basic product info. Worse example is of thin meaningless content goes to Boscov's. Amazing the wide disparity in product content from merchant to merchant. Some merchants deserve the only exposure they get.... being one liner PPCSE Ads, BHO popups and coupons blurbs.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread