Thumbs down Who says shipping costs don't deter a purchase?
    The past couple of years, I've been doing the major bulk of my Christmas shopping online, while saving the hassle of fighting the crowds at the local mall or department stores.

I was just loading up my "cart" on Wal-Mart's website with a bunch of nice things for the family when low and behold, my $120 purchase would have an ADDITIONAL $50 tacked on to it just to ship it to my house!

This is definately a merchant who is trying to get people to shop their B&M stores instead of doing the shopping on their website. Makes me glad I don't promote them on my sites.

Bah humbug....
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Damn! Were you buying bricks?
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    It must have been oversized, heavy and extra fast shipping. I just picked something at random and put it into my cart Garmin StreetPilot c330 GPS which is $308.82, shipping was $6.97. They have lots of toys:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5026240

.97 cent shipping. Pretty good.

I was going to buy a couple pks. of lint traps for the washing machine yesterday...along with other things from amazon. So, the total is $3.99. And they want $9.98 FOR SHIPPING! (3rd party, freeshipping over $25 doesn't apply).
    These are just 4 small fabric 'nets' that weigh a few oz. Oh well, cheaper to drive and get them.
    Last edited by simcat; December 13th, 2006 at 03:37 AM.

ebay auto-estimate international shipping charge is too high as well.
    a piece of DVD, very light in weight, ship to other country from U.S. via regular air mail

$29 shipping !!!

i am sure a seller can ship a dvd to my place in just a few bucks using the cheapest air mail and packing, plus it should not exceed $10 shipping as well.

ask me to pay $29 for shipping, no way

ABW Ambassador
    >>This is definately a merchant who is trying to get people to shop their B&M stores instead of doing the shopping on their website. Makes me glad I don't promote them on my sites.

How about 100% of sales non-commissionable for being after their 3 return days?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    .97 shipping is small that it will not be a deciding factor and for the convinience of shopping in your PJ, most poeple are willing to do that.

If it is like 6.95 per item, it adds up.

When I shop, I look for free shipping and even if there is no commission, I still prefer it. I.e. if you buy a computer, shipping from some places are $60. Do you prefer 3% commission on a $1000 or not pay $60 shipping.

CPA Network Rep
    I agree. I will buy online if it's worth it and the shipping isn't over the top. I do like to shop in my PJs and that 0.97 for shipping is well worth not hassling to get a spot and use the gas and stand in line for 25 minutes... but if the shipping isn't combined or it's a large amount per item I will go to the store. So yes Nature Boy, I would agree that shipping costs definitely do deter purchases!

In getting set up for online retail, I found that shipping was a lot more expensive than I expected. Even boxes, ordered in bulk, cost anywhere from $.70 to $1.50 each, plus shipping costs when ordered. Add to that the cost of packing materials to keep stuff from moving around in transit, printable labels, tape, postage, delivery confirmation, labor to actually pack the stuff - it all adds up. Thankfully, people seem to be willing to pay for shipping to get items they can't find locally.

$50 though, youch! That's the sort of shipping I pay when ordering wholesale quantities...
    Eathan Mertz

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    In getting set up for online retail, I found that shipping was a lot more expensive than I expected. Even boxes, ordered in bulk, cost anywhere from $.70 to $1.50 each, plus shipping costs when ordered. Add to that the cost of packing materials to keep stuff from moving around in transit, printable labels, tape, postage, delivery confirmation, labor to actually pack the stuff - it all adds up. Thankfully, people seem to be willing to pay for shipping to get items they can't find locally.
    When I worked for an online merchant, we only shipped USPS priority mail. Boxes and all packing material was free and we were able to keep shipping costs low enough not to scare people away.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    When I worked for an online merchant, we only shipped USPS priority mail. Boxes and all packing material was free and we were able to keep shipping costs low enough not to scare people away.
    We're able to fit a lot of the smaller stuff in Priority Mail flat rate boxes, but the gold pans, sluices, etc all require boxes larger than anything the USPS offers. They do drop the over all costs a bit though, so we were able to lower shipping by $1.00 across the board. Once we get approved for the USPS label API, we'll save another $.50 on delivery confirmation. Every bit helps.
    Eathan Mertz

I experienced the same thing on Black Friday with Wal-Mart.com and SharperImage.com.

After struggling for far too long trying to get things added to my cart at Wal-Mart.com, then going through downtime, the $100 worth of stuff would have been another $40 after tax and shipping. No thanks. I didn't buy a thing.

Similar story at SharperImage.com. I added about $100 worth of stuff that was discounted, and expected to use their offer of free shipping with a $50 order. Nope. Free shipping doesn't combine with sale items. Once again, add another $30-40 for shipping and tax. No thanks. I didn't buy a thing.

Cart abondonment? I would have to say this is one of the primary reasons.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

There are companies out there who make their money on shipping charges (Ebay). Lower the prices on the products and jack up the shipping. I bet their cart abandonment rates at Wal-Mart are through the roof. Who is their right mind would pay more to have something shipped to them than the actual price of the product????

ABW Ambassador
    It is a sad factor that I sell a lot online but don't buy much online except my dell computer. The reason is simple: FREE SHIPPING!

I've looked for some yarn & crochet stuff on Joann.com. It costs $7.98 on yarns and $5.95 on shipping. It is cheaper to drive over to the store 3 blocks away.

Yes, shipping costs does deter a purchase.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan

$50 though, youch! That's the sort of shipping I pay when ordering wholesale quantities...
    Ethan, for packing material, go to a newspaper printing company aka printing press. I know that we used to buy a bulk load of rolls of paper for like 50 cents. The roll was 6-10 inches in diameter

when people dislike high shipping charge,
    merchants should do best effort to

- investigate the cheapest mailing option and make it available to customers (need to do some homework)
    - reduce packaging material, reduce overall weight
    - reduce unnecessary case or box
    - do the best to keep the parcel or mail in the smallest size to fit into lower charge shipping option
    - help the environment

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    Ethan, for packing material, go to a newspaper printing company aka printing press. I know that we used to buy a bulk load of rolls of paper for like 50 cents. The roll was 6-10 inches in diameter
    Eric, thanks for the tip. We bought one of the 2000' or whatever rolls from Uline ($30 + shipping). 50 cents sounds a whole lot better!
    Eathan Mertz

In a perfect world...
    It'd be nice if everyone operated on a more practical "ownership" price, rather than a simple product price. What I mean by that is $$$ is the absolute cost for you to purchase this item, pay any taxes or duties on it, and have it get from point A to point B. Strictly showing the product price isn't really that practical for the buyer any more. Of course, then there'd be a lot more registrations, address forms, databases of local tax law, customs tables, etc, etc...

A long way off, but perhaps someday...

P.

Quote Originally Posted by atonca
    I've looked for some yarn & crochet stuff on Joann.com. It costs $7.98 on yarns and $5.95 on shipping.
    Joann.com regularly has coupons for free shipping with a $25 order and once in a while have one for free shipping on any order. Plus, if you make three orders of $25 or more in a quarter (check their site for full details), you become a member of their free shipping club. With that, you get free shipping on any order, and can even use other coupons (they usually have one for 50% off any one product). Just sign up for their newsletters or check any good coupon site.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Coupon codes are cool. Joann DECFSA625 free shipping on $25+, expires 12/31

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Coupon codes are cool. Joann DECFSA625 free shipping on $25+, expires 12/31
    Too late. I already got my yarn from the store. Kitty need a new hat very bad

Strange, Walmart has one of the best conversion rates of all my merchants. I'm loving them this holiday season.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread