how and where do you promote your merchants?
    I'm new to affiliate marketing, and I signed up with LinkShare and they have so many merchants, I don't know where to begin or how and where to promote them. Should I get a website and advertise all their products? Should I link people to a particular item on sale? I'm just confused and frustrated, I don't understand how to organize all their affiliates and how to advertise them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by ubaidabcd; December 13th, 2006 at 02:13 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    First you're the affiliate, they're merchants. Where to begin, how to do it. Endless ways that all can work. Just have to find your way. See if you can find a merchant that interests you in some way or sells something you might have some knowledge about. Just might have to jump in, old fashioned trial and error. Use the search function for questions you might have. Just start reading this forum everyday, ask questions and hopefully it starts to become clear after awhile.

The problem is there are so many merchants that I'm interested in, Walmart, BestBuy, Target, TigerDirect, Netflix, Blockbuster, Direct TV, Dish Network, there is an endless number of merchants, but I don't know how to go about advertising all of them or orgarnizing them. I thought about creating a "sepcial deals" websites, where I search all my merchant's websites, and post deals on my website on the lowest deal for the most popular items, example: video game systems (ps3, wii, etc..) or HDTV's/plasmas etc.., but then I don't know how to advertise/market them.

ABW Ambassador
    There is no shortage of deal websites out there, so that would be an extremely hard category to jump into. You can, you just have very strong competition. What you can try to do if you want to focus on deals is pick a category and start there. Yeah, there are a lot of merchants out there and it can be overwhelming. It's not going to happen overnight. You're probably going to do a lot of things wrong before you start having success. There's lots to learn.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ubaidabcd
    The problem is there are so many merchants that I'm interested in, Walmart, BestBuy, Target, TigerDirect, Netflix, Blockbuster, Direct TV, Dish Network, there is an endless number of merchants, but I don't know how to go about advertising all of them or orgarnizing them. I thought about creating a "sepcial deals" websites, where I search all my merchant's websites, and post deals on my website on the lowest deal for the most popular items, example: video game systems (ps3, wii, etc..) or HDTV's/plasmas etc.., but then I don't know how to advertise/market them.
    Being a merchant, I seldom approve banner or link farms.
    You do not want to create a website with 300 125*125 animated banner. I have seen quite a few of those. Not only is it slow to load, who is going to click on anything. Search engine will not rank those pages as it has no content and it's all banner/links from merchants.

Find a niche or a category and promote it. As trust said, coupon is a tough jump cos you have a lot of competition in there. It used to be a few coupon sites such as ebates and 2-3 companies as they were the first, now, there is angiesbargain.com to zorrobargain.com

Leader (ABWer) is going to preech, CONTENT, content...

all the best

Almost all of the products that these places sell can be grouped into a specific category - meaning that you can create a tightly focused site, on say, horror movies only, or 32+ inch plasma tvs, and so on. Doing so, you'll also find it easier to promote and write content for, and the search engines will have an easier time indexing your site based on its theme.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Exact;y,. you can even get specific like with a PPC campaign, do it for your site if you have the time to build it. I'll use tshirts.

Your main site is about tshirts so find various tshirt vendors, funny ones, blank ones designer ones etc.,...
    then create the other pages around the breakdowns like a page for white tshirts with two or three subp[ages for white sleevless tshirts and white crew neck tshirts. Once you are done with white tshirts, build your next tshirt product set of pages with new vendors for designed tshirts. then your secondary pages will be about designed tshirts, then subpages with the designers and labels and merchants all seperate so you can have more pages being indexed etc... and more categories all within one type of product.

I think I explained that weird but your welcome to pvt me and I can try to explain a bit differently.

Just basically like everyone else said, choose your products or industry then work from there with the vendors who are available.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    My best advice is pick something you know and enjoy, then it'll be easier to develop a site about it and easier to update that site than picking something that offers the best commissions but you know nothing about

For exampe, if you're a keen sports person then focus on a merchant that sells sports items, you'll be more familiar with what is sold and be more interested in promoting it as well as have a better understanding of who the target audience is.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

My best advice is pick something you know and enjoy, then it'll be easier to develop a site about it and easier to update that site than picking something that offers the best commissions but you know nothing about
    Ditto ditto ditto!

If you ask people here, they probably spend more than 40 hours a week easily updating their sites. But because they love what they do and are really interested in their topics, it doesn't feel like a job (or j*b...its a dirty word around here )
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Thanks for all the advise, does anybody have references to somebody that builds websites for affiliates? I don't have enough posts to use p.m..

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Are you looking for design help or on going site development and maintenance?

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    Are you looking for design help or on going site development and maintenance?

Cheers

Chris

design help

I would focus on 1 niche product and write informative content on that product. WHen I started I jumped in the coupon business and spend most of my time updating coupons which is nearly impossible for a 1 man show

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread