The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Affiliate Summit Hotel Rant
    My BIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGG pet peeve about the hotels in this town is the pre-auth they put on credit cards in case you use the phone.

The rule of thumb is they pre-auth the rack rate - not the price you paid.

For example, if the normal rate is $300 a day and you paid only $60 a day 'cause you had a promotional rate, they CHARGE you're card $60 a day... but they also pre-auth your card (putting a hold on the funds so you don't have access to them) for another $300 a day.

Recently, a network comped me 3 days at The Wynn... got to the front desk and they wanted $600 a day on my card pre-auth'd. I said "tops, I may rent a movie - just pre-auth for $50". She said no. Preauth $1800 or you can't stay in the FREE - already paid for - room!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When my host at The Mirage comps me the suite - they still preauth the rack rate... which is about $1000 a day. Since my credit cards each have a $2000 limit, it always requires several credit cards for the FREE room.

Anyway, another aff just IM'd me saying she's upset that the hotel she picked is going to hold $400 that she was planning on using, so I thought I'd ask here at ABW.

My guess is about 1000 attendees, being pre-auth'd about $300 a day, times 3 days... comes to just under A MILLION DOLLARS the hotels will be holding of our own money

If anyone can call their hotel and find out what they're being pre-auth'd... I bet it would be eye-opening

Online Marketing Consultant
    Bally's did not preauth anything on ours for some reason. Also the hotel I am staying at after the convention only did a $20 preauth in case they need to send a cab or shuttle for me if I get lost or something funny like that. The preauth prices you got are crazy! I'd cal the affiliate manager for Wynn if you are staying there and see if she can do anything for ya. Pvt me if you want her direct line. I still have it somewhere from CJU.
    Last edited by Liquidate; December 13th, 2006 at 01:23 PM. Reason: forgot to add a solution to the problem

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Same here. I called Ballys and they said I'll only owe $100 deposit per day that will be pre-authorized on my card when check in..

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    The Wynn knows who I am

Most hotels release the hold after you check out, call their accounts receivables dept, and confirm you didn't take any towels...

Per 2 responses to 2 BBB complaints... the Wynn's policy is to NOT release the hold... and let it fall off naturally after 10 business days - which is almost a month

ABW Ambassador
    Just a note - the hotels are not holding your money, they do not gain by this. They are simply insuring those funds exist if they do need to charge you. I have run into this before, and I find most do the - let if fall off naturally. It sucks, but eh, doesn't really affect me.

Billy, you really need to up those limits...

Chet

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidate
    Bally's did not preauth anything on ours for some reason. Also the hotel I am staying at after the convention only did a $20 preauth in case they need to send a cab or shuttle for me if I get lost or something funny like that. The preauth prices you got are crazy! I'd cal the affiliate manager for Wynn if you are staying there and see if she can do anything for ya. Pvt me if you want her direct line. I still have it somewhere from CJU.
    They preauth at check in, not now. Now they sometimes grab one night prepay.. each hotel is different on that policy.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Hey Billy....I hear they don't do any preauthorizations for huts in Tahiti.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread