Thread: FreeDynamicTemplates.com - Need Your Feedback

Arrow FreeDynamicTemplates.com - Need Your Feedback
    Following the thread that announced our FreeDynamicTemplates (FDT) project, I have something concrete to show you:

http://freedynamictemplates.com/temp...gacy/index.php

This is how the default Russian Legacy storefront would look on your website if you import the template, and do not make any changes to it. The colors, the eagle and, of course, the header and the footer are customizable.

Also, since some of you have expressed concerns about possible double content, item description display on product pages may be turned OFF if the affiliate wishes, but the default is now set on ON.

Please have a look throught the pages of the above sample, and let me have you feedback.

• What do you think about it?
    • Would want something added to (or removed from) it?
    • What do you think about those category icons? Do you want them or should we get them removed?
    • Would you also like to have subcategory icons?

Looking forward to your feedback to make our FDT tool as useful and as helpful to you as possible.

Many thanks in advance,

Geno

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Looks good Geno!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Looks good Geno!
    Thanks, Rexanne. You've always been one of my greatest encouragers!!

Would you want sub-category icons too?

Thanks,

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    Geno,
    I like to have sub-category icons.
    BTW, it is possible to make the eagle smaller?

The page looks great to me.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Thanks, Rexanne. You've always been one of my greatest encouragers!!

Would you want sub-category icons too?

Thanks,

Geno
    You're most welcome. ;-)

And yes, sub categories are always good.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by atonca
    I like to have sub-category icons.
    Ok. Putting your vote for them on my list. ...and looking forward to more opinions.

BTW, it is possible to make the eagle smaller?
    Done!! Is this good enough or should I make it larger/smaller? You may also remove it altogether at any time... Or I can create other "thematic" images for affiliates to pick. Just lemme know.

The page looks great to me.
    Excellent.

Looking forward to more feedback.

Geno

Tax Paying Member
    Looks neat. I have a similar set-up with another merchant, who sells totally different products. It works well.

I assume that the header and footer will be a constant as each page developes.

My one suggestion is.......in the directory, can you change the ">" to a dot or something?
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Very weak in tech stuff, so the template method comes in very handy.

Also, since some of you have expressed concerns about possible double content, item description display on product pages may be turned OFF if the affiliate wishes, but the default is now set on ON.
    I am not sure whether it can be done or difficult. As per quote above may I suggest that you create between 3 to 5 different homepage of the product categories, i.e to have different object descriptions and images (but still related and link to main category). Create a different for the homepage but linking to all subsequent pages remain the same.
    This will allow affiliates to choose from any of the 3 to 5 different homepage that they want.

At the bottom left hand menu, you can place the most recent sold items or season items to fill up the empty space.

Whatever you come out with is still acceptable to me and am grateful for it.

Thanks
    Richard

Going through your suggestions/comments now. Thank you for the abundance of them!!

Let me start from one that I have received over an IM-chat. An ABW-er wrote:

---
    The image on the product category page should be linked as well as the "view details" text
    ---

Great suggestion! Thank you for it. The programmer has added links on the images for both the product page, and the category pages.

Geno

Looks good Geno!

Tell your programmer to escape single quotes, I ran into a an error with a category that contained a quote : Pilot's Wear

Quote Originally Posted by jollygoodpirate
    Looks good Geno!
    Thanks, F******!

Tell your programmer to escape single quotes, I ran into a an error with a category that contained a quote : Pilot's Wear
    How can that be bad if it is resolving fine now? Could you please elaborate?

Many thanks in advance.

Geno

Thanks, F******!

How can that be bad if it is resolving fine now? Could you please elaborate?

Many thanks in advance.

Geno

Sure, you can see the error here:
    http://freedynamictemplates.com/templates/russian_legacy/catlist.php?cat_id=Pilot's%20Wear&subcat_id=Militaria

DB_ERROR: Error getting product count!
    You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's Wear' and category = 'Militaria'' at line 1

Sure, you can see the error here:
    http://freedynamictemplates.com/templates/russian_legacy/catlist.php?cat_id=Pilot's%20Wear&subcat_id=Militaria

Extremely valuable stuff! Thank you, F******!!

Geno

...you can see the error here:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's Wear' and category = 'Militaria'' at line 1
    This has been corrected and you may view the new page here.

Thanks again, F.!

Geno

Easy does it. Looks great!

AN UPDATE ON WHAT'S GOING ON:

I have received many good suggestions both in this thread and over e-mail and PM's from you all. I sincerely thank you for all of them. Rest assured that not one of them will be left unattended, and upon thorough analysis, we will bring as many of them into life as possible and as deemed useful for all affiliates' needs.

At this stage I would like to comment on two specific ideas mentioned above:

-- 1 --

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    My one suggestion is.......in the directory, can you change the ">" to a dot or something?
    Good one, Witzer. We'll handle it this way: the programmer will create a placeholder in the config.php file (a file you will be able to manually edit to customize the overall look of your template) that will allow our affiliates to change the left menu "separator". We will leave the ">" as a default, but the affiliates will be able to easily change this to whatever they want now.

-- 2 --

Quote Originally Posted by megatonloh
    At the bottom left hand menu, you can place the most recent sold items or season items to fill up the empty space.
    Richard, I love this idea! Upon further modernization it can translate into something even cooler - a list of section-specific bestsellers that would appear in that bottom left-hand space when a site visitor enters a particular section. RL's all-time top-10 sellers would be in the same space on the template's homepage (exactly like it is on the RL site right now). I am looking into this now. The programmer is telling me that it is not impossible, and he is able to accommodate this. I may put the idea on hold -- not to hold the development of the tempates that will not have this feature -- at this time, but I will definitely return to it soon (as soon as the most wanted templates are up), as it is something that I've wanted to do for my affiliates for a long time...

Thanks again for your valuable feedback, everyone.

Should anyone else want to comment, suggest, criticize (or praise ), post your thoughts here.

Thanks again, and off I go to work on those sub-category icons to finish the RL template and move on to the next one.

Geno

...the programmer will create a placeholder in the config.php file (a file you will be able to manually edit to customize the overall look of your template) that will allow our affiliates to change the left menu "separator". We will leave the ">" as a default, but the affiliates will be able to easily change this to whatever they want now.
    The above feature has just been added, as promised...

Geno

...off I go to work on those sub-category icons to finish the RL template...
    40 out 66 icons are ready. Will finish the rest tomorrow, and will start a separate thread (sticking it, of course) once our first merchant (RussianLegacy.com) is available for you to import into your websites through the FDT free service.

Just keeping you posted on what's going on...

Geno

40 out 66 icons are ready. Will finish the rest tomorrow...
    All icons now finished, uploaded to the FDT's server, and paths sent to the programmer... As soon as they are up, we'll launch the project!! The documentation is ready. We just need to brush everything up, check that everything is working properly and then we'll be ready to go!!

Can't wait...

Geno

20. Newsletter Signup