What Next? Love to hear your insights.
    I am a new merchant at SAS. The process to get set up was too easy.

The step-by-step wizard is great. Tech support was attentive, which was so important because I am always afraid I am going to do something wrong.

Now I want to know, What Next? This affiliate thing is so big and confusing me. I don't know where I should focus my energies to make this successful for all parties.

What are the biggest mistakes/successes you have had as either a merchant or and affiliate partner? What is the most important thing I should know about being an affiliate merchant?

Thanks in advance!

Internet Cowboy
    Welcome JOYS
    I know you are busy, but there are lots of good threads here for you to read. Here is one to get you stated.
    There is no single biggest success or mistake. Different affiliates have different business models, therefore different needs. Spend time reading. You will be amazed at the amount of information that is on this board.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by JOYS
    What are the biggest mistakes/successes you have had as either a merchant or and affiliate partner? What is the most important thing I should know about being an affiliate merchant?
    Thanks in advance!
    Hi and welcome!

Just one to avoid. Don't let your account at SAS without money to pay your affiliates. Yesterday, was the last day for ground shipping for one of my merchants. I'm sending them quite a lot of traffic these days, they got deactivated and I had to contact them. They were back after a few hours but
    I lost around 10 sales, not much but still enough to make me mad.

Welcome and good luck! Take some time to do some research before you jump into anything. I've been here for less than a month and have already learned so much from reading past posts and asking questions to the experienced members here at ABW.

Good luck with your program!

Thanks for the quick response US! I did review the thread you suggested, and I am on my search for many more helpful links. But one of the reasons I started my own thread was so that I could gain some more specific insight.

I run across terms and conversations I don't completely understand. (Thats the challenge with being new to this world (or any) You can easily get confused by what may be considered everyday conversation to you old pros. )

For example, What does Michelle mean when she says

"When you sign up for a program only to discover they have a total of less than 5 links to choose from that all lead to the homepage and no way to generate your own!"

or

What are return days "Tiny return days"

After a wikipedia and google search for a better idea, I am still lost.
    I didn't ask in that forum, because it didn't seem appropriate.

Joys,

Affiliates need to have links, banners, coupons, and other things that work for them on their sites. Not all affiliates use the same links. Providing a wide variety of sizes, styles, and creatives for them to choose from makes things easier for them. I like to communicate with affiliates and ask them what they need for their sites. Some will mention specifics and you can design it for them. Sometimes they can create their own depending on the merchants program.

I have found it helpfull to just start a thread whenever you have a specific question. This way others can see the title and will respond if they can help. Try to be as specific as possible when asking, you will find better help.

15 years and counting
    What are return days "Tiny return days"
    It's just the cookie duration, 45 days is quite standard, the longer the better
    they have a total of less than 5 links to choose from that all lead to the homepage and no way to generate your own
    With SaS, you can generate your own links to land on the correct product page, so, I guess, she means don't deactivate this feature.

Ohh yeah, also when designing your links, provide links that lead deep into your site, or to a specific product. You will see better conversions if you send the customer straight to the products they are looking for rather than making them search your site themselves.

Internet Cowboy
    "When you sign up for a program only to discover they have a total of less than 5 links to choose from that all lead to the homepage and no way to generate your own!"

If you sell widgets and we can direct a customer looking for blue widgets to your blue widget page, conversion will be higher than if we sent them to your home page and made them find the blue ones on their own. If you are product-based, allow affiliates the abilility to "deep link" to your site. SAS provides this tool to all affiliates, so you are good here.

"Tiny return days"
    If the customer clicks through today and the cookie lasts 30 days, I have 30 return days with your program. If they buy while they still have my referral code in the cookie, I get the commission for the amount of time you selected when you set your affiliate program up on SAS.

Thanks all, I figured tiny return days had to do with the cookie. But I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I am off to edit my ads and do some more reading.

Internet Cowboy
    JOYS, what is your site? I think you can mention it without violating the rules. You should consider a paid announcement here though. It is affordable and will put you in front of lots of good affiliates.

It's www.justorganizeyourstuff.com.
    And thanks, That was another thing on my list, to work on the text for my announcement.

15 years and counting
    Good looking site with a product I could, nope, should use.

Good one indeed, JOYS!

Welcome to the forum and let me know if I can be of any help.

Geno

http and a telephoto
    Great acronym for a cool product... lots of people right here need it
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Just a quick reply. Took a quick peek at your site and it looks nice. Not sure what all is in the thread that you've been reading but you'll find lots of information here and lots of people ready to help you, too
    Didn't see any when I peeked at your site but affiliates definitely don't like leaks.
    Leaks are links on the site that could lead a visitor away so that the affiliate wouldn't get their comm. Like if you had a clothing site but had links on it for another jewelry site or maybe you had some of the google adsense ads on your site. They're a no, no with affiliate.
    Good luck with launching your site.

oops thought of another one. Be patient with your affiliates. Not all affiliates will be biggie affiliates that will bring lots of sales to you all at once in the beginning. Some....it takes a while Affiliates don't like to ummmm don't like to be referred to as being deactivated or terminated for one. lol doesn't sound like a very nice thing to do to them. If they have your links up on their site and they're not violating any rules....you should give them time and not do either one of those not very nice sounding things to them.

ABW Ambassador
    First thing I would do is get on Auto Deposit.

Nice looking site.

Ok, I was wondering what leaks were. I don't understand how they work though. I do have links to other sites on my site as well as articles that have suggested sources in them. ( I am helping people organize alot of different subjects that I am not an expert in, I need to provide them resources.)

Quote Originally Posted by JOYS
    Ok, I was wondering what leaks were...
    Any external link leading to a commercial website which will not remunerate the affiliate in the case of sale is normally considered a leak.

A phone number to place an order is also a leak if affiliate-generated phone orders are not trackable within your affiliate program (ShareASale has a script that can help you make them trackable).

Geno

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread