Do women owned sites or sites that look like are owned by a woman make more money than men's ?

Wow.. that's a heck of a question.. sounds like a doctoral thesis.

But, most of the high-earners on ABW seem to be women [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Well Jada makes more money than most men here but Blues makes more so I guess it's hard to tell. It's 1-1, maybe we should start a contest. Anybody can beat MarySunshine's?

well, maybe i should start building a site that looks like it's maintained, built and owned by a housewife. LOL.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wly:
    Well Jada makes more money than most men here but Blues makes more so I guess it's hard to tell. It's 1-1, maybe we should start a contest. Anybody can beat MarySunshine's?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I think Jada's topped Mary Sunshine's. When Mary Sunshine posted what she was now making per month I remember Jada came along a couple days later and topped it by about $8K.

BTW Redsand - The fact the majority of Top Earners on ABW are women, doesn't make them housewives. Most aren't by a long shot.

{

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think it would depend a lot on what you're selling.

For home decor stuff, it would be likely that a more female look would go over. But try it with Skil Saws or CraftsMAN and just watch that 0% conversion ratio happen... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I think my own sites are gender neutral or leaning toward the masculine (depending on which one), and they do very well even with the homey stuff. I do have a couple with pastels and an obviously female slant but they haven't been indexed yet so I don't know how it'll work.

Personally I am quite put off by the "Pink and Flowers" designs that look like something a teenage girl would do, but you never know what buyers will go for! Although I would stick to a pretty basic design, maybe a soft pastel, if I was going for the femme look.

Also remember that what guys THINK OF as "female" usually isn't *quite* on the mark. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I have two bestselling areas. Computer peripherals and cosmetics.

I did the computer section myself and it has a nice clean manly look. I got a guy to design the cosmetics section because that had a nice clean manly look too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Now it looks like a teenage girl did it.

If you've seen Northern Exposure, it looks like that time Shelly did out her and Holling's bedroom.

I'm not sure if its doing better because of the design, or if people who came to buy on mothers day stuck around.

I asked the designer to look at my two best cosmetics merchants and 'do something half way between'.

>But, most of the high-earners on ABW seem to be women

I've wondered about that and came to the conclusion that all else being equal we might well have been out there in the 'real world' earning a living.

But all else isn't equal. A talented creative woman is likely to be stuck on the Mummy Track (whether she intends to reproduce or not). Also - creative people tend to make demands. This is considered acceptable in a male but a sign of dangerous instability in a female.

As an affiliate, regardless of the ridiculous demands made by some merchants, not *one* has ever asked me 'how I plan to combine making pages with family commitments'.

I

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: Icicle ]

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    lol, maybe I just gotta appeal to my effeminate side when creating 'lipstick' pages, lol. Sorry, no pink hearts at Elbow Creek , lololololol.

Yes, it is a heck of a good question. And it begs another question:
    Does anybody here have a handle on their demographics? - And if so, how did you get the information?

Fred

One of my sites that does well sells mainly to women. It was not until I redid the entire site design in more of a lavender color that I saw my sales start to rise. Perhaps the new, professional site design also had something to do with it, but I had to push myself to design a site that was not so bold or masculine.

If that is true i think i have to redesign my site

I have sites that are feminine, some are neutral and some look very patriotic - ROFL. I've become obsessed with red white and blue sites it seems lately. All my new designs manage to have those colors for some reason [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I can't say as I've seen any major difference in sales between them.

Yeah, I've kinda got stuck on some red, white and blue sites too. But I was doing that long before 911. I have serveral web sites with domain names like Amerixxxxx.com, so patriotic colors suit those well. But, hey, they are not really making any money either.

I'm going to go with pastels in my next site and see how it comes out. As long as does not look like an Easter egg basket!

well I don't make mine those colors for patriotic reason, but I do like the colors together and they do grab attention. I think that is why I keep migrating towards them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heidi:
    well I don't make mine those colors for patriotic reason, but I do like the colors together and they do grab attention. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not patriotic by a long shot but I re-did one of my sites in R-W-B because I like the color combination as well. I think alot of people do; it's some sort of universal color combo when you think about how many countries' flags are those same colors.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread