http and a telephoto
    Yahoo browser update auto adds the toolbar to IE
    I have enough toolbars and was not pleased when Yahoo updated instant messenger and automatically installed the Yahoo toolbar *without* asking permission....

Just a heads up....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

yeah it also sets your home page to Yahoo by default

Wow. I'd expect Yahoo to be a more mature company by now.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I think Google is doing something like that too. Recently whenever I restart my computer, SpywareGuard pops up and tells me my homepage is reset to Google, when right now it's set to MSN.

http and a telephoto
    ARGH!!!! I was so mad about the toolbar, I didn't see the homepage reset because I mostly use Firefox now and had only popped an IE window from a click that opened a specific page.

Google blocked it from changing the default search......

Where can I go b*tch about this????? When I installed YM I told it what settings I wanted and didn't want, and this is unacceptable that it is overriding them!

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    unfortunately this is "tip of the iceberg" ... there are a ton of things that both companies are doing with their toolbars that are extremely annoying.

buy a new Dell for example.... then spend 2 hours getting rid of stuff from companies that you would think wouldn't need to do what they are doing.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

http and a telephoto
    When I restarted IE after turning OFF the toolbar, it was back and it didn't allow me to change my home page back, so I went into Program Manager and uninstalled both the Yahoo Toolbar and the Yahoo Installer. No more auto updates for YM here... I like YM for a lot of reasons, but if they start pulling more crap they are outta here.....
    Deborah Carney

It also changed the default search to Yahoo

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Speaking of auto-updates, be careful when Windows XP comes up with its latest set of Automatic Updates. It may include Internet Explorer 7 on there and many people will click on the checkbox without thinking twice about it. IE 7 is still new and I'm not planning on upgrading from 6 to 7 until the bugs are mostly worked out.

Besides affiliate marketing, I do a little computer consulting locally on the side. One of my clients had to call me in because her Win XP's IE was hanging right after doing auto updates. Turned out she selected everything offered in automatic updates, was upgraded to IE version 7, and it wouldn't load completely. After I turned off the "add-ons" in IE it worked. She also hadn't done a Java update in a while. The Java updater icon had been sitting in her Windows system tray (little icons at the bottom right of the screen) for a while. After I updated that and rebooted, IE was fine again, even with add-ons enabled. Not sure which was the problem, Java or add-ons from the earlier IE version.

I think they renamed BHOs, IE Toolbars and Browser Extensions to all be considered "add-ons" with IE 7, so be aware. Anyone upgrading to IE 7: I'd look through the add-on list to see if any nasty adware BHOs are in there, and disable them.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    It also changed the default search to Yahoo
    My *Google* toolbar actually blocked them from changing the search default... That whole thing isn't right... NONE of that should have been changed without asking..... NONE.....
    Deborah Carney

everyone should get IE 7.

http and a telephoto
    everyone should get IE 7.
    It made the changes in IE7 as well...
    Deborah Carney

yeah thats where I saw the changes too, My comment was to spacedog.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Eh, so far it looks ok to me. Other than the fact it hung up my client's computer after upgrade. And it wasn't (IMO) a popular or wonderful idea for Microsoft to put it on as an automatic update since it's quite a bit different, at least on the surface, from IE 6. Who knows what kind of security issues and crashy bugs it'll have. That's why I'm waiting. But as always, YMMV. It may turn out to be a can't-live-without upgrade.

By the way I reread my earlier post and it occurred to me that it might look like I was implying that nasty BHOs come with the upgrade to 7. As far as I know, they don't. I was just noting that IE 7 has an add-on section that makes it easy to see the BHOs you already have loaded, and lets you disable the ones that look like nasties (of course not all extensions and toolbars are necessarily nasty, so if you go in there to disable things make sure you do a little research while you're looking at them). That add-on manager is a nice touch from Microsoft.

Im my opinion it was a wonderful Idea for MS to put it as an automatic update, a lot of my clients benefit from it, only 1 complaint.

People are too paranoid about security issues now a days, and IE 7 will help with a lot of computer slow downs I have been seeing over the past year. You see more system slow downs caused by anti-spyware, anti-spam, anti-virus and anti-phishing programs now a days then you do from actual spyware and adware.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I have enough toolbars and was not pleased when Yahoo updated instant messenger and automatically installed the Yahoo toolbar *without* asking permission....

Just a heads up....
    I just updated it as well and found the same thing but their is a fix to have the latest version without all the junk...

Just close Yahoo down then go to Control Panel > Uninstall programs & wipe it out completely... now head over to Yahoo.com and look for the messenger link on the home page (don't have it of hand) then click that and you will see you can download the program & save it to your hard drive... Now do that & once downloaded run the thing...

Take it slowly as you install it as they will try to trick you into installing the tool bar (Look for the CUSTOM INSTALL LINK at the top) and untick both box's and your be cool after that.... proceed to install .. once installed go into Preferences and take out all the junk and set it up as you like - also click the tool bar menu (whatever it's called) so you can get rid of all the adverts etc .. after this you will have a clean yahoo install.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

everyone should get...
    ...Firefox 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by adambha
    ...Firefox 2.0
    That peice of crap causes more problems than spyware now a days. I use to pitch firefox to everyone but I have a lot of people complaining of FF crashing when more than 3 tabs are open, sometimes less when they are viewing youtube or google video.

I'm disapointed in Firefox.

Apparently I just fired up firefox and it had the yahoo toolbar installed as well.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread