Haiko - I'm mad about this:
    Haiko,

I know this is not your fault.
    I know that shit happens.
    But,

Is there anything you can do about this thing?

While I know that any computer can crash at any moment.
    While I know tha the phone company can go down at any time.
    While I know that unless you save your post before you do a preview, that you may lose the reply post.

Is there any way to get a warning about closing the Reply to a post window before it's gone, like the warning we get when we click on the LOGOUT link? (Are you sure you want to log out?)

The only reason I ask is because after I wasted a long time making a long reply post on where I had some google window open, (because I needed a link related to that reply) when I closed the G window, my reply window also get close, so I lost everything on that reply post.

Look, you don't have to reply to this post, I feel better just by posting my encojonamiento at the moment, so you can delete this thread later anyway.

Side note:
    The big post I lost was not that important anyway, it was a reply to the thread:
    Have you quit your day job yet?
    I was replying to AddHandler, on where he said:
    I spend half the day playing with my dog... (and he loves it)

But now that I let some stress out making this post, you can delete it, I fell better now!

I already know by now, that being a , it has to be willing to deal with some temporary some times.

It's OK to Delete This Post at Any time now!

Thanks God, that religion made me a born again atheist.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    The only reason I ask is because after I wasted a long time making a long reply post ... so I lost everything on that reply post.
    Happened to me quite a few times. After a long paragraphs or 2, I accidentally close the browser. Sometimes, I would retype 1-2 points but most of the time, I move on..
    Good suggestion Sal

http and a telephoto
    I think if you close your browser there isn't a setting to prompt for an "are you sure". A prompt might be able to be set for clicking off a reply without saving it.... but even that is a stretch....

The log out prompt comes from clicking a link.... if you close your browser and your browser logs you out, you don't get asked if you are sure....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I think if you close your browser there isn't a setting to prompt for an "are you sure".
    Depends on your browser. Firefox 2.0 can be configured to prompt you about closing the browser if you have more than one tab open. (It's the "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" option.)

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    Happened to me quite a few times. After a long paragraphs or 2, I accidentally close the browser. Sometimes, I would retype 1-2 points but most of the time, I move on..
    Good suggestion Sal
    Thank you for that post Eric,

Even if someone will call us stupid for accidentally close the browser, at least you and I will now that can happens, and that after we have write some long paragraph and some how we lost it for whatever reason, some times we may decide to move on and not try to write it again.

It's not the same when we are just pasting any paragraph that we have a copy of it , than when we want to think to retype the same thing that we typed before from our mind as we get those spontaneous thoughts.

R U sure you were not spending several hours trying to dig up 4,326 smilies?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    Is there any way to get a warning about closing the Reply to a post window before it's gone, like the warning we get when we click on the LOGOUT link? (Are you sure you want to log out?)
    Think about it this way, from a simple technological viewpoint.

Logging out is directly interacting with the forum's software - it's sending a signal to the software that's getting a response.

If we're closing the posting window, we're closing a browser window. A browser is on our own computer, so the only type of software that could be aware of what we do with our own browser (like closing it) would have to be something installed on OUR computer to be able to detect that we were doing something. Umm... like an executable program, like the chat or HTML programs we have that give us a response when we close them - or a keystroke logger or a BHO maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Haiko,

I know this is not your fault.
    I know that shit happens.
    But,

Is there anything you can do about this thing?

While I know that any computer can crash at any moment.
    While I know tha the phone company can go down at any time.
    While I know that unless you save your post before you do a preview, that you may lose the reply post.

The only reason I ask is because after I wasted a long time making a long reply post on where I had some google window open, (because I needed a link related to that reply) when I closed the G window, my reply window also get close, so I lost everything on that reply post.

Look, you don't have to reply to this post, I feel better just by posting my encojonamiento at the moment, so you can delete this thread later anyway.

Side note:
    The big post I lost was not that important anyway, it was a reply to the thread:
    Have you quit your day job yet?
    I was replying to AddHandler, on where he said:

But now that I let some stress out making this post, you can delete it, I fell better now!

I already know by now, that being a , it has to be willing to deal with some temporary some times.

It's OK to Delete This Post at Any time now!

Thanks God, that religion made me a born again atheist.

Before I do any action in a volatile environment, I saved everything to the clipboard and sometimes to notepad. This has save me many times in a lot of places.

Think about it this way, from a simple technological viewpoint.

so the only type of software that could be aware of what we do with our own browser (like closing it) would have to be something installed on OUR computer to be able to detect that we were doing something. Umm... like an executable program, like the chat or HTML programs we have that give us a response when we close them - or a keystroke logger or a BHO maybe?
    You're right!

So I rather lose the window, than to have any of those things installed on my computer.

Before I do any action in a volatile environment, I saved everything to the clipboard and sometimes to notepad. This has save me many times in a lot of places.
    I have being doing that for a long time now, but yesterday was the first time that I closed the wrong window by accident, and there is nothing that can be done after we make that stupid mistake.

R U sure you were not spending several hours trying to dig up 4,326 smilies?
    It's a hard job, but...
    Hey, I have to live up to my title, ok?

This kind of thing can be done. Wordpress does it. (it'll pop up an alert window if you try and close the browser and you have something in the post window.)

Not sure if its firefox only, but I think it can be done.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I'm sure this can be done pretty easily with Javascript - but I am also pretty sure it will only work in IE.
    - I am not young enough to know everything

I've lost whole blog article before! So now anytime I'm writing a significant amount of text I save or paste into into a text a editor at the same time, so I have backups, call me paranoid if you want!

If you are using IE7 open your reply in a new tab (right click on the reply button) . When you close IE it will ask you if you want to close all tabs and if you want to open them again the next time you launch IE.

ABW Ambassador
    I always copy a long post into my clipboard before I press the submit button as many times on various forums something happens in between clicking it and the next part so maybe thats an idea you can try..
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread