SEO-Friendly URLs..
    I just finished reading an article on SEO and the writer referred to SEO-friendly URLs, but failed to offer examples. Can anyone offer an example?

I would assume something like...

http://www.websitename.com/offers.asp?coID=8691&CatID=4&PageNo=6
    (fake link)

would be considered unfriendly? And does that kind of url hurt your placement in search engines such as Google?

Thanks,
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    I just finished reading an article on SEO and the writer referred to SEO-friendly URLs, but failed to offer examples. Can anyone offer an example?

(fake link)

would be considered unfriendly? And does that kind of url hurt your placement in search engines such as Google?

Thanks,
    You can start here:

mod_rewrite: A Beginner's Guide to URL Rewriting
    Applications Must Be Search-Engine Friendly

It's not generally known, but many of the search engines will not index your site in depth if it contains links to dynamic pages like the one mentioned above. They simply take the "name" part of the URL (that's everything before the question mark, which contains the parameters that are needed for most of the scripts to run correctly), and then try to fetch the contents of the page. To make it clear, here are some links from our fictitious page:

myapp.php?target=showproducts&categoryid=123
    myapp.php?target=showproducts&categoryid=124
    myapp.php?target=showproducts&categoryid=125

Unfortunately, there's a big chance that some of the search engines will try to download the following page:

myapp.php
    One more:

But there is a risk when using dynamic URLs: search engines don't like them. For those at most risk of losing search engine positioning due to dynamic URLs are ........ Source: Dynamic URLs vs. Static URLs
    If you search on , you will get more info that you may want to know!

It happened to me!

mod_rewrite
    Yup, mod_rewrite is your friend for SEO.

You can see some great examples at my site (link in sig).

I've got mod_rewrite setup to parse out all the php stuff, including the '?' and '&' symbols, making the link look like an 'html file' that includes the full name of the product.

Incredibly effective, but can quickly become quite confusing if you're not a techie.

Enjoy...

ABW Ambassador
    Keep in mind that with .asp pages on IIS it's very different from Apache, which generally takes a few lines in .htacess to do URL rewriting.

With IIS you need to have root level server access or use something like ISAPI_Rewrite which costs $99 for a one site license (unless there's some fix with the ASP coding, which there isn't much (or any) information about).

Google can crawl and index dynamic pages pretty well, and if there's ever something they have a problem with their crawl team will get on it and usually get it solved. But others aren't as capable with crawling and Google is not the only search engine that can send decent traffic.

(fake link)

Thanks,
    Offer an example of what? code or a clean url?

http://www.websitename.com/offers.as...tID=4&PageNo=6

clean:

http://www.websitename.com/offers/8691/4/6

You see this on a lot of blogs.

There is still debate on whether or not search engines like or dislike queystring URLs like yours or if SEO demands "pretty urls." From what I have read the old algorithms of search engines did not like ugly URLs and could not deal with them.

Nowadays, however, this is not true, supposedly. If you do a Google search, you are bound to find lots of results that have the ?querystring construction and that they have high rank. I still do rewriting because no one knows for sure or everyone is still paranoid. I'm sure someone can dig up some article saying it's a must, but I don't believe it (but I still do it.) Users like a more memorable and hackable url, so that's good too. Just my opinion. Some of it depends on the search engine.
    Last edited by johnnyWebAffiliate; December 16th, 2006 at 11:18 AM.

Mod rewrite looks hard to do. Can clonning pages with ugly URLs do the trick?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Mod rewrite looks hard to do. Can clonning pages with ugly URLs do the trick?
    What does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    What does this mean?
    Oh. You know, you're right - it really doesn't mean what I thought it meant. Clonning is just for links, not pages, right?
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    There is still debate on whether or not search engines like or dislike queystring URLs like yours or if SEO demands "pretty urls."
    Well, the search engines *will* index the 'ugly' URLs no problem. From an SEO perspective, there's much more to be gained than just 'pretty' URLs.

For example, without mod_rewrite a particular product page on my site looks like this: mysite. com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6916

With some creative mod_rewrite rules, it becomes this: mysite. com/silver-jewelry-amethyst-earrings-p-6916.html

This adds the *entire product name* into the URL.

This is where SEO comes into play, and the impact is HUGE.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread