Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Angry 1 am and still no luck!
    Wow do I ever feel like I'm failing in the world of affiliate marketing, I try and try and my results still suck, 100 million people on the net and I have only managed to get 188 of them to click through to one of my affiliate products and I've made a whole 24 bucks but cant touch it cause payout is at 50 bucks.

I know once I get a payout from some place even if it is 10 bucks I'll hit up Google Adsence, MSN's new Ad thingy, and the Yahoo Ad group and from there I'm sure I'll get a ton of new targeted traffic.

This brings me to my next point, is it even possible to find a free advertising source that actually brings you in more then 5 people a day, I've tested out so many and last month I tested out one that got me 100 clicks, but thats all they were because they were just people using the advertising surf program, they were not people looking for that type of product, heck they were just other people like me trying to advertise things.

The only way I've found so far to get me any clicks that actually mean something is by writing articles, and blogging, but that takes up such a large part of my day, I keep reading and reading and reading on these forums and I just cannot find any information that seems to help me out when advertising.

This is a cry for help and motivation tonight, Is it even possible to make free advertising worth while? Or am I hopeless and need to pay for things like Google Adworks, or other PPC programs?, I dont have a problem spending money, the problem is that I've got none to spend, thats why I'm trying desperatly to get my first payout because from there I've got an entire paid marketing plan worked out but god help me it's becomming harder and harder to believe that a good form of free advertising actually exsists.

What do you all think? Any words of encouragement tonight?, maybe a motivational speach?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    There is no silver bullet. Sorry buddy....

2 things that I would suggest (thought there are 1001 things you can do but this 2 are important)
    1) content is critical. Original content is more critical. So doing what you have been doing is good. Blogging, reviews and getting into things like technorati, digg, etc will help.
    i.e. One of my friends wrote a good article about PC and cat litter and put it on his site. Digg it, got a shit load of traffic.

2) Link exchange. As they put it, exchanging links with an authority website definately helps. Or dropping links on there (don't spam). Take for example, you sell cell phone, work out a strategy to get companies like t-mobile to exchange links with you. That was just a crazy example but you get the drift.

A-B testing is good. You are learning but it is costly for you. I am always doing some testing to optimize my program and landing page with whatever resources that I have.
    Downside, it is costly. Do it wisely and once you have data, run with the best # and learn from that.

Advise on aff programs, not all merchants are the same and not all aff are the same. You might find zappo as your best merchant, while Mr. Sal might find onlineshoes.com as their best merchant. It's how you position it and how you promote it.

getting off the soap box now and all the best.

p.s. find a program with $10-20 min payout as opposed to $50..please

http and a telephoto
    Magic Bullet

There is some good general advice in that thread
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Cool Hang in there!!!
    minidak03,

I'm pretty new at this too. I started as an affiliate about four months ago and I can certainly understand your frustrations. My guess is that everyone on these forums has gone through the same thing.

The good news is that you've got a lot of support through ABW. Read everything you can in these forums and you'll be suprised at how much you'll learn. I've been a member for a little less than a month and my head is about to explode with all of the great information I've found. This has been the most helpful group of strangers I've never met .

In the last month I've been able to spend less on my PPC campaigns and I'm actually starting to show a small profit.

As far as getting more traffic to your site without spending a fortune dpl882 posted this about a month ago and I've had pretty good success with adCenter so far, by the way thanks dpl882, I owe you one .
    Quote Originally Posted by dpl882
    Oh, I suppose:

http://www.startadcenter.com/nexttipsms

Code: DM-2-1106

"Just use promo code DM-2-1106 before 1/15/07"

"* Promotional Guidelines: Offer valid only through 1/15/07 (midnight Pacific Time). Promotional credit is valid only for new advertisers opening a new account with Microsoft® adCenter. The $200 promotional credit does not apply to the one-time $5 activation fee required to open a new account. Promotional credit must be fully redeemed in click spend within 90 days of sign-up. Advertisers will be charged for advertising that exceeds the $200 promotional credit. Advertisers will need to suspend their ads if they do not wish to receive additional charges beyond the free credit amount, or after 90 days from sign-up. Promotional credit good only to residents in the 50 United States and Washington, D.C. Limit: one promotional credit per customer. Promotional credit may not be combined with any other offer or discount, separated, redeemed for cash, transferred, sold, or bartered. There is a minimum bid requirement of $0.05 per clickthrough. Search listings are subject to editorial review. See Advertiser Terms and Conditions for more details at sign-up. Other terms and conditions may apply."
    Hopefully in a couple of months you'll be sharing info with another newbie and telling them how you made it through your frustrations.

Keep reading and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by minidak03
    Wow do I ever feel like I'm failing in the world of affiliate marketing, I try and try and my results still suck, 100 million people on the net and I have only managed to get 188 of them to click through to one of my affiliate products and I've made a whole 24 bucks but cant touch it cause payout is at 50 bucks.

I know once I get a payout from some place even if it is 10 bucks I'll hit up Google Adsence, MSN's new Ad thingy, and the Yahoo Ad group and from there I'm sure I'll get a ton of new targeted traffic.

This brings me to my next point, is it even possible to find a free advertising source that actually brings you in more then 5 people a day, I've tested out so many and last month I tested out one that got me 100 clicks, but thats all they were because they were just people using the advertising surf program, they were not people looking for that type of product, heck they were just other people like me trying to advertise things.

The only way I've found so far to get me any clicks that actually mean something is by writing articles, and blogging, but that takes up such a large part of my day, I keep reading and reading and reading on these forums and I just cannot find any information that seems to help me out when advertising.

This is a cry for help and motivation tonight, Is it even possible to make free advertising worth while? Or am I hopeless and need to pay for things like Google Adworks, or other PPC programs?, I dont have a problem spending money, the problem is that I've got none to spend, thats why I'm trying desperatly to get my first payout because from there I've got an entire paid marketing plan worked out but god help me it's becomming harder and harder to believe that a good form of free advertising actually exsists.

What do you all think? Any words of encouragement tonight?, maybe a motivational speach?
    It is hard work. SEO is the free advertising you need. PPC is also good, but it all takes lots of time and hard work. LOTS. I do not make "tons" of money and I will not be quitting my day job any time soon, but I do a lot better than I did 12 months ago. I still get burned on PPC sometimes, but I think losing on advertising would be true no matter what type of business one had.

How many millions have been lost on poor television and radio ads? The more you do business and marketing and understand what works and what does not, the more mistakes you see in PPC, webpages, and even off the net advertising. They share many of the same principals, and, as I mentioned running a business, affiliate, brick and mortar, or your own net store is difficult.

You need to dig in, buck up and take it. You are going to get very discouraged at times as you monitor sales. This is normal. You also need to know why you are doing what you are doing and if you are trying to get rich quick, then you are going to fail. If you believe you are all of a sudden start making the $5,000 a month "from the comfort of your own home," then you're deceiving yourself. That is not the norm, at least not for a new person. I'm not saying you think this way. But only you know your heart.

I just saw this:

Advise on aff programs, not all merchants are the same and not all aff are the same. You might find zappo as your best merchant, while Mr. Sal might find onlineshoes.com as their best merchant. It's how you position it and how you promote it.
    Now I will have more competition, and soon I will be barefoot in the park because of you.

Time for me to start selling luggage again.

"1 a.m. and still no luck!"

My first day wasn't so hot either - although I went to bed at midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    You need to dig in, buck up and take it. You are going to get very discouraged at times as you monitor sales.
    Thanks everyone for all the information, I'm sure if I keep up at the hard work things will eventually pay off for me, When I think about it I guess I'm doing better now then when I first started out because at least I've made a sale this month and got over 200 clicks to my affiliate site, as previous months I've made nothing.

And johnnyWebAffiliate I love how you put this above statement its great.

ABW Ambassador
    "This brings me to my next point, is it even possible to find a free advertising source that actually brings you in more then 5 people a day, I've tested out so many and last month I tested out one that got me 100 clicks, but thats all they were because they were just people using the advertising surf program, they were not people looking for that type of product, heck they were just other people like me trying to advertise things."

Yeah, stat away from that junk. I did the same thing when I first started, think it was called StartBlaze. If you're just starting out and don't have the money to advertise (like me and most when first starting) learn SEO how to get that free traffic or other ways to get it. You learn that, get traffic, get sales. You keep doing that, take some of the money you've made and learn how to do PPC for a profit. Keep learning new ways to get traffic. It takes time.

My advice is to stay away from any PAID ADVERTISING...

As long as you have to pay to get traffic... you are dependent on someone else... All of my traffic and sales come from FREE SE RESULTS... I have virtually no overhead accept HOSTING.... It's pretty nice not to have to watch all the stats and keep up with any PPC / PAID ADVERTISING costs and still roll in the big checks...

You may also want to read this post "Have You Quit Your Day Job Yet..."

One more little bit of advice.... STOP watching your sales stats.. it is like watching a pot of water come to a boil... it takes longer.. or so it seems... all that time spent watching your stats is a waste... Use it more wisely by WORKING on getting more sales....

ABW Ambassador
    "My advice is to stay away from any PAID ADVERTISING..."

That I have to disagree with.

"As long as you have to pay to get traffic... you are dependent on someone else... All of my traffic and sales come from FREE SE RESULTS... "

So you are dependent on free traffic. I don't know how you're getting it but if it's mostly from the SE's, there have been plenty of people that have been zapped that way. This is a business, businesses usually pay for advertising. We all can't be a Krispy Kreme or a Google, that don't pay for it.

Free traffic is great, no doubt. But nothing wrong with paying for advertising. If you can make more than you spend, don't see any kind of problem with that. Never become dependent on one source of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "My advice is to stay away from any PAID ADVERTISING..."

That I have to disagree with.
    I totally agree with you Trust. This thread really supports the idea that PPC works. I spend pretty heavily on PPC as well and, well, it works. Or should I say, it works well.

Any 'real' business will advertise. Unless you run *the* grocery store in a town of 200 people, you gotta advertise...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    So you are dependent on free traffic. I don't know how you're getting it but if it's mostly from the SE's, there have been plenty of people that have been zapped that way. This is a business, businesses usually pay for advertising. We all can't be a Krispy Kreme or a Google, that don't pay for it.

Free traffic is great, no doubt. But nothing wrong with paying for advertising. If you can make more than you spend, don't see any kind of problem with that. Never become dependent on one source of traffic.
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    1) content is critical. Original content is more critical. So doing what you have been doing is good. Blogging, reviews and getting into things like technorati, digg, etc will help.
    i.e. One of my friends wrote a good article about PC and cat litter and put it on his site. Digg it, got a shit load of traffic.
    But I DISagree with that point of Eric's. Aim at what you want to hit: Buyers!

When you're trying to sell stuff, (as opposed to running CPM or CPC ads),
    10 trillion uninterested visitors is worth less than 100 motivated visitors who have their credit cards burning a hole in their pockets.

Better to pay PPC and get access to the motivated 100, than to get the 10 trillion loiterers who are just killing time.

Quote Originally Posted by adambht
    Unless you run *the* grocery store in a town of 200 people, you gotta advertise...
    I've always thought that'd be a cool setup. Buy from me, or go hunt and fish!!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Trust - But minidak03 hasn't perfected any sales technique.. so I think getting into PPC would just be worse... Paid advertising using PPC can get pretty spendy pretty quick if you don't know what you are doing.

And really when you say dependent on one source of traffic when it comes to SE's how many SE's are there..? I just stick to what I know and that is FREE traffic from the SE's -- all of them.. Sure I bounce up and down in some SE's when they update or do something different... but over all I would say it is pretty steady and can be depended on if your not spamming or other BS...

So for me it works... I don't have to spend much to make a lot... if I got into pay per click.. then I would have to BE HERE to watch it so it paid off... The reason I got into this biz is to have freedom... LOL.. I don't really want to watch anything ever... But that is just me...

AddHandler - I would like to have the freedom too but I'm also willing to work 12 hours a day to achieve it, I'm a person that believes in hard work, I know nothing comes easy, but sometimes after a month with very little success it takes a toll on your confidence, your ability to achieve that success that you strive so hard to achieve. This is what makes me feel that free advertising does not work as well as it should.

I'm currently sticking with what I know and what gets me more valuable clicks but I always take the extra time to get out and try new things to see if they work, some of my time is wasted by doing that but like I said in my first post, 100 million people and I've had a hard time getting 200 of them to my affiliates sites this month.

Anyway I thank everyone for there suggestions and help on this topic, connecting with a community, weithier I'm getting good or bad advice is time well wasted in my mind, so again thanks everyone.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    PPC has a big learning curve, definitely. It also *can* burn you quickly if you're not watching it closely each time you start a new campaign or make major changes. But once you get the hang of it, and assuming you follow the rules, it can be very profitable. If you're going to try it, cash in the promotional MSN adCenter and Google offers that are floating around and you'll have some free money to burn at first.

And, keep your daily maximum spend on each campaign to where you can afford them. Sure, your ads will stop showing when your spend hits the max, but you can evaluate how they're doing without losing your shirt. That's one of the real beauties of the affiliate biz: most programs you join, especially those on the big networks like CJ, SAS and LS, give you almost real time sales information.

Oh, and watch out for those merchant programs that reverse your sales like hell. Shoe stores as mentioned above can often have a high rate of return so you have to be ready for reversed (and thus lost) commissions. These reversals sometimes take one or two months to appear because of 30-day return policies of some merchants.

Tough times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    "1 a.m. and still no luck!"

My first day wasn't so hot either - although I went to bed at midnight.
    These are tough times for all merchants.the economy and job market is at an all time low,when I read deep discount merchants like Walmart,Sears,etc. are failing, and credit card debt is at a peak,plus poor weather, it means tightening our belts again.Everything requries energy,and that is all time high.I have been at this for over 6 years, this year is a slump.Hang in there,avoid low funds merchants.
    Happy holidays
    JJ
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Even Einstein read comic books to relax[/FONT] :clap:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    I just saw this:

Now I will have more competition, and soon I will be barefoot in the park because of you.

Time for me to start selling luggage again.
    Would that be luggage . com?

Just an illustration, and even if I knew your site, i don't kiss and tell..LoL

But I DISagree with that point of Eric's. Aim at what you want to hit: Buyers!

When you're trying to sell stuff, (as opposed to running CPM or CPC ads),
    10 trillion uninterested visitors is worth less than 100 motivated visitors who have their credit cards burning a hole in their pockets.

Better to pay PPC and get access to the motivated 100, than to get the 10 trillion loiterers who are just killing time.
    Don't take me the wrong way, I have managed PPC campaigns that spent x-xx k a month and PPC works. You get more focus traffic except but have to keep an eye out for fraud.

I think if you have original content, you have a sustainable source of traffic. It takes time to build out SEO friendly pages which will get indexed eventually (weeks to months).
    If you do not have deep pockets to run test, make mistakes on PPC and be ahead of the game, it might not be a really feasible model. Some people make it based on PPC and they are good at it, but PPC can be a double edge sword. Let's face it, companies like PepperJam and those corporations can withstand and earthshaterring changes imposed by Google. I spoke to an affiliate that list $1k in 2hrs immediately after the google alg change in June/July 06. He cut back a lot on PPC after that.

Not saying PPC is bad, just have sustainable free traffic coming in that will not wipe out your personal $$ for the next month.

ABW Ambassador
    My advice is to stay away from ppc while your starting, put your energy into hard work, I'm sure Trust & some others will totally disagree with this but it's just my opinion. Unless you have found it has already started to show you great results (which it hasn't) then start putting your energy & NOT MONEY into one of a million other ways to promote or just use several methods of seo. Maybe look at just working on improving your website/s and forget about making $ right now as that will come later once people start to bookmark your website. When you see (in your stats) that your site is been bookmarked by say at least 35% ( or whatever % you target) of your visitors then you can see progress has been made.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Great advice - Focus on customers, not the tips
    [QUOTE=AddHandler
    One more little bit of advice.... STOP watching your sales stats.. it is like watching a pot of water come to a boil... it takes longer.. or so it seems... all that time spent watching your stats is a waste... Use it more wisely by WORKING on getting more sales....[/QUOTE]

This is such great advice (although hard for stats junkies like myself to abide by).

Many years ago I waited tables while in college, and my wife did as well. We had a good manager who once told us to quit focusing on how much we were getting in tips, and instead focus on giving customers great service. He promised that if we did that, the tips would come rolling in. He was right! My tips went up to about 20% on average, as compared to most people who only made 10 to 15 percent.

I think the same is true for this affiliate work we're doing. Using your time to write articles or provide good site content is time much better spent than checking stats.

Excellent analogy, Rick.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I found early on when I checked stats on just one site it was an up and down emotional roller costar. What really helped me was developing several sites and playing with each seeing what would happen. At least that way if did something that had poor results with one site only the stats in that one site went down, not all of them and I learned a lesson along the way.

Diversify and experiment is my business motto. Learn, adapt and move on.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

New Year's Resolution - read this forum every morning before work
    Not to sound like a total kiss-up, but I've added something to my New Year's Resolution list that goes along with my previous post - Read this forum every morning.

Normally I get up every morning at 5:15 to check stats and write a blog entry, and then head off to my regular job at 6:30, come home, do family stuff and put the kids to bed, and then check stats again, write another blog post... etc. (My wife hates this latter part btw)

I'm working hard to replace the stat-checking with reading a thread on this forum every morning. It will be more productive, and will fit better into my goals of being more strategic with my time. It's too discouraging to check stats every day too.

Thanks again to everyone here at ABW - I've received some great help and hope to be able to contribute back to this forum in return!

minidak03 as a fellow newbie I agree with most of what has been posted here. I'm a newbie to Internet Marketing, however I'm not new to marketing. I've been a marketing director in the technology industry for over 25 years and have received 3 awards for marketing in the past 6 years, 1 international award and 2 for the Americas. I semi-retired at the age of 49 and now I provide consulting to small and mid-size organizations entering new market segments.

I'm not telling you this to brag (none of the awards included cash so who gives a *$$#^*) but to tell you that internet marketing is marketing and what's important in marketing is giving your prospective customer a compelling reason to do business with you.

So many of the posts here have said that content is king, and they are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. There are a lot of ways to get visitors to your site. What you really want are visitors that are going to BUY something once they're there and you want those first time customers to become repeat customers and then loyal customers. The only way to do that is to provide them with something of perceived value.

Take another look at your site. Do your words reflect the passion you have for the product(s) you're selling? If you have no passion for the product(s), then find another product to promote.

Probably the only thing I disagree with is that you don't need PPC to drive traffic to your site. Organic search is preferred but it can take a very long time to get listed. After 4 months I'm finally getting listed on the search engines but being on page 183 of Google isn't really sending me a lot of traffic.

Be careful though. You can waste a lot of money using PPC. Start small and work your numbers. Coming from the corporate marketing world I am a strong believer in statistics. Find out where you visitors are coming from and what specific keywords they used to get there. Find out how long those visitors were on your site and which pages they spent the most time viewing while they were there. And most important; find a way to determine why they did or didn't buy (this could possibly be done through a questionnaire, but you may have to offer an incentive).

There are plenty of free or very low cost resources available such as Statcounter or Crazy Egg and Google Analytics. Learn how to use these tools and others and you'll gather a wealth of information about your visitors habits. My best resource in the past 4 months has been ABW and the information and support I've received.

I also agree that right now your focus shouldn't be on your sales numbers but more the necessary steps that lead to a sale.

Keep at it and don't be afraid to change things. Tweak it until it works.

OK. That's my 2 cents worth; take it with a grain of salt. And GOOD LUCK.

Oh, and BTW GO CHICAGO BEARS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    Many years ago I waited tables while in college, and my wife did as well. We had a good manager who once told us to quit focusing on how much we were getting in tips, and instead focus on giving customers great service. He promised that if we did that, the tips would come rolling in. He was right! My tips went up to about 20% on average, as compared to most people who only made 10 to 15 percent.
    I had a slave driver manager when I was waiting tables during my college years, "faster faster" but he did like me. Shitty place to work at a Chinese Buffet rest when you manager is all about "table turnover" and $$. Not sure if he understood that term even. Tips was was much better then my primary job on campus but I can't complaint as it help me through my college years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast