Hi everyone,

Can I safely drop the 1px img from the link code?

I guess it's there to measure 'imprssions' but that what I have log analysis for and it just slows down my pages and clogs up code.

Is it okay to drop this img?

ABW Ambassador
    I drop them and know many, many others that do too. However you are in effect not using the link as intended and it could theoretically be grounds to terminate.

If it is a major relationship I would seek permission first- just to be on he safe side.

ABW Ambassador
    We drop them from almost every page we have. A few merchants dropped us because it messes up their EPC numbers. Interestingly enough, those merchants failed to make any sales anyway, so who cares? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But I've tested it many times and it always tracks the sales propertly w/o the 1x1 pixel. Yes, it messes up the epc numbers, but I don't care about that. The only number that concerns me is that one at the top right side after you log in. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: AffJus ]

I don't use them, had a few merchants who had problems with it in the past, but none lately. Only had 2 that wouldn't pay, I just dopped them. The rest that originally had the problem I discussed it with and they still payed and didn't have a problem with me continuing in the same manner.

Tracking impressions has nothing to do with "Performance Marketing" that what the merchants are participants here. I am not paid for giving impressions to merchants' banners, so I won't waste my bits with the impression tracking codes.

Once a merchant asked me, I told him to look at his server logs and see how many million requests are made from my site to one of his product images. That settled the case.

- BluesX

ABW Ambassador
    Those pesky little things are the cockroaches of the internet.

I nearly always omit them and have never had any objection from a merchant. Once in a while I'll mention to a new merchant that I usually do that, but most of the time I just post the link without them and don't worry about it. If a merchant expresses concern, point out that when your pages load faster there's a better chance their link will be seen in the first place.

If you are an affiliate with a marginal amount of traffic, and you are worried that you might be dropped from a program because you are not showing enough impressions, then it may be a good idea to keep them. I am referring specifically to the 1x1's that go with text links. It's really simply a tracking tool.

If you have banners, then the images for the banners can serve as tracking and proof of impressions. It depends on how strong your relationship with the Merchant is.

Fred

Thanks everyone,

My decision: Sod 'em!

If any merchant wants to go drop me for it then fine, I'll find another...

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread