$54.75 so far this month on 8 sales and 11 leads.

So, what's the difference?

TONS more pages made it to Google, but what do I think is the real difference?

ALL MY POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS USE AOL!!!!!

Really, I don't think I know two people outside of family who don't use AOL.

That HAS to be it.

Congrats Ssanf!!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Great stuff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] The AOL/Google thing sounds like a possibility.. I'm just beginning to get some good rankings with Google/AOL. Or should that be Googaol? Mix it with Yahoo! and you get Yahoogaol. I'm going to sit down now.

Google is all about pagerank.. I notice you've got two with rank 6 on the main page as I have.. I think when you start to get PR6 then it's much easier to get a good ranking for product niches.

It's taken me 18 months to get a PR6 site.. and now I have two and one PR5. I'm hoping to get three PR6 sites. Umm that's 666, and then maybe move one up to PR7.

C*ntent helps a lot on PageRank. It's the old story.. Google likes content. The ODP likes content. Google likes the ODP. Then, when you start to get a top three Google position for a particular piece of content, then the links keep coming in and eventually you can get a sort of rolling snowball effect on the number of inbound links.. good pagerank means more inbounds, means better pagerank.

And of course, pagerank is a commodity. Careful management of your outbound links can give your other sites a boost. (Don't go mad with crosslinking though because Google may penalise you for it).

I think I'm just at the cusp of getting big-time Google lift off myself.. it's a great feeling isn't it, Ssanf? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Well done SSanf!
    I haven't managed to get to page rank 6 yet, and I've been trying for years! Is it possible to get there without an ODP or Yahoo listing??

SSanf,

That's my traffic! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Ever since AOL switched to Google my traffic has been cut in half. God I hate Google. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Inktomi better get in the game or it won't be worth it to pay the insertion fee anymore. MSN traffic is okay but AOL was my bread and butter. One of these days I will figure out the secret to getting my pages in google...

Core

Way to go Ssanf [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Could be too your visitors are seeing stuff they want.

Core,

Long ago, I signed up to put the google search box with the "search this site" feature at the bottom of all my pages. I wasn't earning anything with one of the search boxes that was paying for clicks, and I didn't want to go through the process of learning how to create a database and the programming involved in creating my own search box for my site.

This was long before I knew the value of high ranking in Google. Unintentionally, I made it necessary for Google to index more of my site so that it could return search results.

Just an idea for you to ponder.

Tracy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Long ago, I signed up to put the google search box with the "search this site" feature at the bottom of all my pages.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this really increase ones ranking at Google?

I get very little AOL customers, but once I started getting first page listings on Google, boy what a difference that made. I've got about 20 pages from one site that come up on Googles first page, most are 6 or higher and a few are even #1. Now if I could just figure out how to duplicate that with other sites that I own.

By way, congrats SSanf!

Well, I have never paid a cent for advertising.

I think my main site has always been highly ranked. I believe I am the best known witch site after Witches Voice.

What surprises me is that my witch store has only been live a few months and also has a PR6 I show up all over the place since the last update, right next to all those folks who pay for it.

I think it is riding on the coat tails of my main content site and my search engine which has a PR6.

BUT, I think the sales are from AOL viewers.

I can't prove it but I am sure of it.

Sorry, Core, I am sure there are customers to go around. Your folks probably aren't looking for witchcraft supplies, anyway.

I took a chance and paid the fee to get listed with askjeeves. This was my first attempt at paying for listings. Wonder how long it will take to see any results. I may try Inktomi next. I've wanted to try Yahoo for my top earning site, but just can't take that $299 annual plunge.

Way to go SSanf! Looks like the climb to the top has started for you.
    I would agree that the AOL users tend to be more willing to part with their dollars than the average surfer. Since they are already paying a premium price for their internet service (not some $4.95/month ISP), I think it is safe to say that the average disposable income for someone on AOL is probably higher than the general population.
    I am just starting to see some increase in AOL traffic and am hoping for the same results that you have shown.
    Now that you have a taste of it, you know what to do.....Make more pages!

How many sales per thousand clicks should I expect for a book store?

I'm having some progress with Inktomi on the high-value items (I've only been using them for about a week!). Some promising hits, still waiting for sales though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Avoid the ineedhits.com version though as their stats are broken [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

chinaski: an ODP listing helps a *lot* with your pagerank. My two PR6 sites aren't even listed in Yahoo though - I do have some LookSmart listings in via Zeal.com but they count for hardly anything.

SSanf: I think it varies but in the last 12 months I've been selling about 1 item per 100 clicks at an EPC of around $1.63 (i.e. $1.63 for every 100 visitors to Amazon), but in EPM terms that's much harder to figure out as not every page carries Amazon products, so I guess it depends on clickthrough (I guess 5%-10% if targetted).

Incidentally, although my Amazon.com outnumbers my Amazon.co.uk traffic by 20:1, the EPC from Amazon.co.uk is $16.50, i.e. about ten times that of the US. Basically, UK visitors are harder to attract but may get distracted more by high-value items rather than just the books. It's easy to run Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk (and Amazon.ca) together. And although Amazon.com is a target for scumware theives, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.ca seem to be unaffected.

I just checked my referral stats and got five hits from AskJeeves yesterday. It looks like my payment for listing may be working. The only problem is, I don't have any way of knowing if these hits are converting to sales.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>chinaski: an ODP listing helps a *lot* with your pagerank~Dynamoo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, nope, nope, not any more, gotta dispute that!

My gardening site got a 5 when the ODP pointed at the right URL, but then it dropped to 4 (while the ODP link was still aimed directly at it).

When I moved it from Angelfire, the new location also got a 4--but the ODP still points at the old URL. Sure, I put "this site has been moved HERE" links on the old site--but that's not like having a direct ODP link anymore. Rather, it's an inbound link from what Google would see as a different site.

Also my mother has 2 sites in that index and neither of them got any great-guns pagerank off of it. About a 4 for her, too.

I wouldn't call that helping *a lot*--it's more like a step in the right direction.

I actually saw much more noticable results from a certain small index I never see mentioned and found on a fluke! Unfortunately, that little index site seems to have died this month...it hasn't resolved for 2 weeks. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

{added}

Fortunately, it doesn't take a PR6 to get a decent ranking where it counts--in the Results pages (SERPs)!

-->Ssanf, glad you're doing better! The AOL deal has done me a lot of good too--sales have gone up a decent amount since their customers could see a lot more of my listings! I had some pages in Inktomi before, but now that Google is powering AOL there's a lot more listings in front of those viewers' faces.

[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

Hmm.. the ODP effect is more than just the listing at dmoz.org though - over time it gets replicated and replicated.

My very first ODP entry was added by in July 1999.. over three years that has accrued 118 links for that single page (admitted I screwed it up by getting a domain rather than ISP hosting in 2001 which makes some of the entries wrong). That's 118 links that magically generated all by themselves - which is pretty handy.

I guess the correct thing to say is that "an ODP listing plus the time for it to replicate helps a *lot*" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Here's a funny thing though.. *any* page I put on my main site gets a pagerank of 4, regardless of whether Google has indexed it or not. There seems to be a "latent" pagerank to a site which you can accrue.

Another thing (sorry) as a tip to anyone who wants to understand PageRank is to get the Google toolbar (regardless of what other toolbars you have) and use it all the time watching the PageRank. You can get a feel them for how PageRank "flows" around a site and how your site structure affects it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Well it's had 3 years to replicate for that Gardening site, LOL! I have seen that effect happen (when Google actually shows all the links-in that there really are, which is rare, at least for my sites) but it didn't cause anything meteoric...

As for the toolbar--no need to be "sorry"...I am constantly looking at my Google toolbar, too. Although it's not *exactly* accurate, it's a fairly good guide, and through it I know how the PR is distributed in my sites.

I've found this helps - track down all the static links in to your site and link back to those pages.. and here's the trick.. link to them from somewhere indexed but unrelated to your sites.

For instance, I have a GeoCities site that consists purely of a list of links that link back to my sites. That GeoCities site has a single link from one of my pages to make sure it gets indexed.. think of it as giving Google a helping hand to find your inbounds.

When I was reworking my site I accidentally left the (hidden) link out and the number of inbounds dropped a *lot*. When I put it back in, they went up again.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread