A little content help
    I hear a lot of veterans of affiliating talk about "creating a content site". What is meant by that? Is it a site that is mostly words? Is it writing information on the products you sell? I don't have products, so I can not write reviews. These same veterans talk about the pitfalls of ppc advertising and its dangers. How do I get away from ppc and still have shoppers? I don't mean to sound dumb, but I am new to this and want to learn as much as possible so my site can be a productive source of income. I do appreciate advice and criticism from folks that have succeeded in this field.

Thanx,

Donnie

You've got the idea down, though there are lots of different content sites.

Basically though, content is about giving your users the information they want. Here are the basica categories as I see them:

Sales content:

This is the type most popular here (especially with a few people). Basically it is fleshed out sales copy. Instead of one sentence about each product, you've got a paragraph. For special products, or groups of products, you've got a whole page of info. How it works, how it looks, what it does, etc...

Added into this might be buying guides. Either gift guides for certain types of people, or information (how to buy a car online, etc...)

Then you've got the article content:

These are basically article sites. Can be news, can be articles collected on a specific topic, can be a blog...anything that is basically articles. How the affiliate links get worked in there varies. There may be a sales pitch tacked on the end, or relevent ads around the articles. It varies.

Now, to get content sites to work you really have to make the content good. If you are going for sales content, it really has to make someone want the product. If you are going for article content, you really have to know what you are writing about.

If you do it right, the search engines will pick up on it (because you are writing for specific niches/keywords), people will enjoy your stuff and link to you (driving up pagerank), and the money comes rolling in.

It's not easy, and you've got to have a good vision of what you want to do, but it can be done. Hopefully this all helps!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Jason,
    You have cleared up alot for me. Thank you very much for sharing your wisdom. Now off I go to try out some content (after more research).

Thanx again,

Donnie

No problem! Good luck!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Whoa, I'm running outta here before Leader gets here... c ya.

(search ABW for "content" posts by member "Leader" to learn more)

True. Watch out Donnie...Leader has some pretty strong ideas about content...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Ahh....the content site vs. shopping site debate again.

Donnie, if you'd like to hear the details about what content sites are about check Ken Evoy's SiteBuildIt stuff. He really wrote the book on that approach.

To me, "content" is anything that people will search for, bookmark, talk about, and tell friends about. It's something useful that serves a purpose.

A simple "sales" site is one whose primary purpose is to showcases one or more products.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. The best sites (from an affiliate perspective) are a combination of the two. Review sites are a good example, but certainly not the only one.

Content is only as effective as it is good and useful. Something put together quickly, in an automated way, won't draw much traffic. Something that you've spent a lot of time on, fulfilling a specific need, will draw far more traffic. For instance, if you're looking for some tutorials on how to take better pictures, which site would you find most useful:

1) A site where someone found a bunch of photography related terms and had keyword-stuffed articles written by the lowest bidder from a third-world country, AdSense plastered everywhere, and thousands of pages of photography-related products.

2) A site written (and frequently added to) by a professional photographer, with specific tips grouped into categories, sample photographs demonstrating those tips, a forum where you can ask questions, comparisons of digital cameras to meet specific needs and budgets, links to various tools of the trade (from articles that discuss them), a newsletter, etc.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread