buying a coupon website
    Somebody offered to sell me a coupon website, this website has many merchants from cj, shareasale, and goldencan. It's being sold for $500-$800, the website has datafeeds so I don't have to do anything with the website. Does this sound like it would work? What kind of information can I ask for to see what kind of conversions it's getting?

it depends mainly on the traffic and conversion.

Its relatively easy to make a site with millions of pages using automated system but still the question is does the site get traffic?

ask how much the coupon site is earning and verify the statistics.

ABW Ambassador
    "Does this sound like it would work?"

If someone is selling a coupon site for $500-$800, they're not making money with it. You can make your own.

they aren't selling the site, they're selling me a clone of the design and putting my userid in the affiliate links. I'm skeptical that's the reason I made this post, I figure if anybody had a site that was doing really good they would want to keep it to themselves. How can I confirm the statistics he's sending me aren't made up?

ABW Ambassador
    Even worse, a clone site. Make your own. There's already no shortage of coupon sites out there, not something I would get in if I was starting out today. But if you do decide to go in that direction, don't get some clone design.

avoid this sale if it is a TOTAL clone of their site.

It might be a waste of time and money as you would only get banned by SEs unless you SUPER CUSTOMIZE

I have another offer for a customized website built it's an "e-shopping" website for the same price, but I have to add all the items myself to the website. I've been reading and most people are saying there are too many e-shopping and 'special deals' websites, and to concentrate on one industry. So, I'm not sure which way to go.

http and a telephoto
    Well if you start reading here at ABW you will find out that there are many ways you *can* go, but you need to decide which is the best way for *you*. There isn't any one way that is right for everyone.

Decide what you *want* to do, then research how to do it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Those sites usually don't do well in the SERPS. Do you know how to make a website? If not there are things out there like shopster or you can even get a cobrand site. Of course the cobrand sites don't do anything in the SERPS either, need to find another way to get traffic to those.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    trust, loxly and prix all trying to save you money and time, seriously hope you follw their advice. don't waste your money.

trust's post #3 here means we'll get to tell you later that we told you so.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by abcdabcd
    ...they're selling me a clone of the design and putting my userid in the affiliate links.
    Run fast and far from this!

A clone site would work, as long as your able to make you own categories, add your own merchants and modify all the datafeeds. This will make it unquie.

If the clone in question is just replacing the affiliate tracking code, then don't waste your money unless you able to completly modify the system with your own content, etc

I sold a clone of one of my coupon sites, and believe it or not there site out ranks my site around the board

ABW Ambassador
    There are a million coupon sites out there now & many more added each day including clones like you describe. I would stay clear of anything like you mention, there are hundreds of new coupon sites springing up everyday using automated goldencan & datafeedfile feeds, the problem is they all offer the same content so Google will penalize you & you are competing against so many others now it's ridiculous. I run some goldencan feeds on a coupon site i have had for nearly 3 years and I hardly ever get any sales on the merchants that run on it so I have to try something different for that. Starting out in the coupon industry will be areal challenge I assure you as its highly competitive and no room for anymore & a huge flood as I describe above of these clone sites now. Try something unique as you will have much more success I assure you. Goldencan is a great system and can be utilized to work especially with the search but unfortunately it is been abused and every joe blog is making thousands of pages with it every day.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Anyone can make a website these days or have one built for you for a low price. The hard part is NOT he build of the site, what's harder is working on generating quality traffic to it. What most peple tend to think is that once they have the website built that's it, money and traffic will come, not the case.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread