Full URL as SID
    hi,

can i use the full referring URL as SID?
    Any issue with including characters like
    http : / .

thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, you can.
    No problem with "http : /" but don't use "&".

Quote Originally Posted by atonca
    Yes, you can.
    No problem with "http : /" but don't use "&".
    thanks atonca!

i just clicked on the link with the full URL as sid. I havent purchased using the link, can i check how the SID would look like on CJ reports?

I know that it would normally show once i get a sale on that specific transaction but not on normal non-sale reports.

thanks

Follow these rules and you'll be fine (taken from CJ help):

#

The SID can be up to 64 characters, and may include spaces. If spaces, commas, periods or @ symbols are used in the SID, they must be URL-encoded (e.g., %20 for a space, %40 for a @, %2E for a comma).

#

The following characters are illegal and cannot be used in the SID: " / < > ? \ | * : ' "

#

Do not set the SID value to 0 (zero).

ABW Ambassador
    will double check

The biggest problem you'll run into is the length. Different networks have different requirements, but I think some have SIDs (or comparable fields) as small as something like 40 characters.

Some also restrict the characters that can be used, so you'll have to change or encode those.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

hi,

yes it seems to have a decent FAQ on CJ.

here copy/paste directly from CJ FAQ.

Things you should know about the SID:

* Commission Junction does not generate the SID. We merely track and report on any SID's included in transaction data.

* In order to utilize this functionality, a publisher Web site must dynamically generate SIDs for each visitor to their Web site and append the SID to the tracking code of their advertiser links. (The SID value may be hard-coded to the tracking code of an advertiser link, but keep in mind that it will then not uniquely identify users.)

* The SID can be up to 64 characters, and may include spaces. If spaces, commas, periods or @ symbols are used in the SID, they must be URL-encoded (e.g., %20 for a space, %40 for a @, %2E for a comma).

* The following characters are illegal and cannot be used in the SID: " / < > ? \ | * : ' "

* Do not set the SID value to 0 (zero).

* Publishers may view SID data by running a transaction report within the CJ Account Manager. Reports can be downloaded from the results page in a number of formats (CSV,Tab-Delimited, Excel, etc.).
    OK... so the full URL is not an option.

I made the max string character to 50

and removed the characters
    : / .

and used the php urlencode function to make everything that could be passed on the SID as urlencoded.

is the - (dash) character acceptable? am not sure if it is already urlencoded.

I have setup this on my engine by default and it will also show on other non-CJ merchants/links. Will this SID system affect tracking for SAS and LS links?

I promote mostly CJ merchants but add in some non-CJ datafeeds too.. will this have an effect on other non-CJ links?

thanks guys!

Hi guys,

i have appended all the output merchant BUYURLs by this

?sid=product-name1&afftrack=product-name1&afsrc=1

the format is.
    url encoded
    all lowercase
    max 50 strings
    with - (dash) character

the afftrack is for SAS tracking.

i can see that the click is tracking on SAS... is there a problem with CJ and other merchants if i use this format?

thanks

Keep in mind that some merchants have further restrictions, beyond the network restrictions. eBay is a good example of one:

A valid SID shall be a string of up to 30 alpha-numeric characters. In addition to alpha-numeric characters, spaces, commas, periods, and @ symbols may be used in the SID. Non-alpha-numeric characters are illegal and cannot be used in the SID. SID value cannot be set to 0 (zero) either.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

thanks michael.

here's the final URL output.

?sid=productname1&afftrack=productname1&afsrc=1

i hope this doesnt have an issue on tracking both on CJ and SAS.

url encoded
    all lowercase
    max 25 strings
    no dash

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread