Talking Ebates Moving to CJ !!
    I just got a e-mail saying Ebates is moving from Befree to CJ.

I thought they were still a parasite ??????

I don't know why I got the e-mail. I have nothing to do with Ebates.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Talking

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    I just got a e-mail saying Ebates is moving from Befree to CJ.

I thought they were still a parasite ??????

I don't know why I got the e-mail. I have nothing to do with Ebates.
    maybe you weren't supposed to open the email and now your computer needs a high colonic.

Internet Cowboy
    No doubt it's their affiliate program that is moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    maybe you weren't supposed to open the email and now your computer needs a high colonic..
    I'm working on it right now.

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    No doubt it's their affiliate program that is moving.
    Yeh - but does this mean that CJ does allow parasites in their network???

Ebates is still a parasite isn't it ????

ABW Ambassador
    "Yeh - but does this mean that CJ does allow parasites in their network???"

They always have. This situation is them coming over with an affiliate program from BeFree. They've always been at CJ as an affiliate. And many remember even on the front page as a success story. And I remember testing them out and seeing my traffic from my site redirected thru theirs if you had them on your computer. Not sure of the current behavior.

Talking
    I was being sarcastic about CJ and parasites. I know they allow them but - tracking is not affected.

ABW Ambassador
    My sarcasm radar was temporarily down I was about to grab some links like this one: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ight=pro+whenu

But we all know that by now.

eBates isn't a parasite from what I know. I'm not sure of their past, but they're just a cash back website now, that does not use any sorts of software to my knowledge. Their affiliate website pays publishers $5 for new users, once the user makes a purchase from one of eBates' merchants (many who are affiliated using CJ or LS).

The only conflict here would be if you're a publisher who publishes offers from a company affiliated with eBates, as there is the potential that your user who you referred to eBates will follow an affiliate link from eBates. However, if you're concerned with this, don't become an eBates affiliate.

I also received this email from eBates, and here's why:
    "You are receiving this e-mail because you are a member of our affiliate program."

I forgot that I was an eBates affiliate, but my BeFree account is many years old and inactive (they sent it to a forwarding email I haven't used in 2-4 years).

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    eBates isn't a parasite from what I know. I'm not sure of their past, but they're just a cash back website now, that does not use any sorts of software to my knowledge. Their affiliate website pays publishers $5 for new users, once the user makes a purchase from one of eBates' merchants (many who are affiliated using CJ or LS).

The only conflict here would be if you're a publisher who publishes offers from a company affiliated with eBates, as there is the potential that your user who you referred to eBates will follow an affiliate link from eBates. However, if you're concerned with this, don't become an eBates affiliate.

I also received this email from eBates, and here's why:
    "You are receiving this e-mail because you are a member of our affiliate program."

I forgot that I was an eBates affiliate, but my BeFree account is many years old and inactive (they sent it to a forwarding email I haven't used in 2-4 years).
    CHECK your facts!

EBates is STILL a parasite. Do you have an other name for Moe Money Maker?

WHO are you to be one of their affiliates? Are you proud of you?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    CHECK your facts!

EBates is STILL a parasite. Do you have an other name for Moe Money Maker?

WHO are you to be one of their affiliates? Are you proud of you?
    Zeus,

Sorry for offending the Gods...

As I mentioned in my post, I was not aware that eBates had a software application. By stating "from what I know", I was clearly leaving open the possibility that I was wrong. Now that I have a name for the suspected parasiteware, I do in fact see that they are a parasite. When I quickly checked on eBates's website earlier, I must have overlooked a link to it. Parasites are scum, and I'm not arguing against that. I've never endorsed them, and I have kicked parasites out of the affiliate programs that I work with on the advertiser end. Advertisers should know that anything that comes between the advertiser and their legitimate publisher relationships needs to be addressed - Parasites are pretty worthless in my opinion, as they rack up sales at the expense of other affiliates, and then demand a higher commission for such.

As for the second part of your post, read my post again.
    I haven't used BeFree in years, and I've never actually promoted eBates. I probably applied to many programs during my time as a BeFree publisher, and I'm not even the only person who has access to the affiliate accounts. I think I may have only promoted 1 or 2 merchants through BeFree anyway, and the only one that I can remember, eMusic, moved to CJ last year.

Since BurgerBoy also received the email, I guess he's an affiliate (or do you prefer to call us scum now?) too. Either that, or neither of us were actually affiliates, yet received the emails somehow (CJ error?).

Frankly, why do YOU care WHO I am to be an affiliate of any company? Maybe you should actually read a post before attacking a member.

15 years and counting
    Frankly, why do YOU care WHO I am to be an affiliate of any company? Maybe you should actually read a post before attacking a member.
    May be you should read a board before posting something not true!
    Do you know how many people are coming to ABW just to try to twist the truth, post after post?
    That's why I CARE. I like to know their reasons and who they are.
    Now, if you're a misinformed affiliate, Welcome. You have plenty of reading to do and I'll suggest reading this section:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Joshua,

As you can tell there is no love lost toward Ebates on this board even from the merchant perspective. When we kicked them out of our program last year we did extensive testing and found that their application was heavily impacting our PPC traffic in some cases even redirecting the user to the Ebates homepage and never showing our page at all.

Now it is true on the surface that Ebates "generates" a lot of revenue for merchants. But if a merchant takes a look at the true ROAS for Ebates considering how much they increase cost by cannibalizing other channels they look far less appealing. Combine the fact that a large portion of the revenue they "generate" comes at the expense of affiliates whose commissions they stole and it is an easy call to refer to them as a parasite.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    I was being sarcastic about CJ and parasites. I know they allow them but - tracking is not affected.
    What I think is funny is how often LS and CJ will promote them. They are still even a featured publisher on CJ! With all the spin the networks do on their behalf they must indeed be providing a service to the community.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Talking
    I bulk joined a bunch of Befree merchants four or five years ago.

Ebates must have been one of them although I never put out any links for them.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlineshoes MGR

What I think is funny is how often LS and CJ will promote them. They are still even a featured publisher on CJ! With all the spin the networks do on their behalf they must indeed be providing a service to the community.
    That's really bad, I can't understand why CJ would even consider promoting these scumbags

Merchants that are with them should seriously consider the damage they are doing to affilaites by supporting them and using their services
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    That's really bad, I can't understand why CJ would even consider promoting these scumbags
    Merchants that are with them should seriously consider the damage they are doing to affilaites by supporting them and using their services
    All the parasites are providing a service, it's the only way for them to legitimize their business.
    They provide a service and they don't take it all. Like in real life, they don't suck all your blood, just enough to live at your expense. If you die, they're dead.
    The last one who didn't last too long, SecondBite, was providing a service too.

These thieves stole enough money a few years ago to afford to have a full staff with PR, marketing, legal dpt... And the networks are so greedy, they want to believe them and share their success. The idiots running these networks are paid a salary, (they don't mind if they cut your commissions) and are profiting from the parasites. Easy business. Don't you remember how Messer was so proud of his technology affiliates? It's up to us to remind them what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    May be you should read a board before posting something not true!
    Do you know how many people are coming to ABW just to try to twist the truth, post after post?
    That's why I CARE. I like to know their reasons and who they are.
    Now, if you're a misinformed affiliate, Welcome. You have plenty of reading to do and I'll suggest reading this section:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167
    I'm an affiliate myself, yet I also work with an advertising agency that manages affiliate programs among other things. I've never dealt with eBates before on either end, so I apologize for my mistake - It was a simple oversight. I don't deal much with the publisher-end of things besides the few programs that I am an affiliate for myself, so I may be out of the loop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlineshoes MGR
    Joshua,

As you can tell there is no love lost toward Ebates on this board even from the merchant perspective. When we kicked them out of our program last year we did extensive testing and found that their application was heavily impacting our PPC traffic in some cases even redirecting the user to the Ebates homepage and never showing our page at all.

Now it is true on the surface that Ebates "generates" a lot of revenue for merchants. But if a merchant takes a look at the true ROAS for Ebates considering how much they increase cost by cannibalizing other channels they look far less appealing. Combine the fact that a large portion of the revenue they "generate" comes at the expense of affiliates whose commissions they stole and it is an easy call to refer to them as a parasite.
    I'm fully aware of what parasites do, and how they're bad for both affiliates and merchants. I've kicked out a few parasites from the affiliate programs that I work with on the advertisers end. Besides the issue of stealing from other affiliates, why should I (as an advertiser) be forced to pay commission on a user who was already at my website through my other ad channels, or even (worse) someone who I really didn't have to pay a dime to acquire (i.e. repeat customer, word of mouth) this sale?

15 years and counting
    Don't feel targeted, we all have PMS at times. No excuses needed. I was hoping CJ will never move the eBates program from BeFree to CJ. It's already bad for CJ to promote them, to list eBates affiliate program on CJ will be a shame.
    As an affiliate, how can we promote a program which is going to steal your visitors/customers for life or as long as MMM is installed?

I can't understand why CJ would even consider promoting these scumbags
    Simple. Because they get their cut of the action. Kinda like a pimp, but this pimp also gets a cut from the muggers and burglars.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread