Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unhappy What is the lifespan of Affilaite Marketing
    WIth all the scumware and downloadable scumware out their, do you really think there will be a place for affiliate marketing in the future.

Look at it this way, most scumware is out their becuase of affiliate marketing, meaning they have to make money somehow or they would never develop these hijacking scripts, etc

I hope I am wrong, but Am I?

And on another note..... How can the big affiliate companies control this when the big giant "microsoft" can't even make a highjack proof browser?

ABW Ambassador
    "What is the lifespan of Affilaite Marketing"

Forever.

"What is the lifespan of Affiliate Marketers"

They come and go, some stay.

Cool
    we'll still be pluggin' along . . .

Internet Cowboy
    As long as there are merchants out there who avoid the sleazeballs and are willing to pay me for sending them incremental sales, affiliate marketing will live.

The concept of a merchant paying a referral fee is as old as the concept of trade itself and isn't going anywhere. I say this not to slight the threat of scumware distributors as it is a threat and has already affected the affiliate marketing industry. An example would be how affiliate cookies get deleted by some scumware removal apps. No doubt, it is a serious industry issue.

Okay well Herb and Trust you have been big in affiliate marketing for many years. (I know this) And maybe you will keep plugin along, but i believe companies will eventually have a cut off point and only allow the "super Affiliates" to market their Brands

Well Uncle, I belive your correct, however think about this. (cj probably already does)

Is it better to have 10 scumsuckers to highjack everyones browser and pay out a commission of 100,000 per month to the select affiliates

or

have 10,000 thousand honest affiliates paying out a couple of hundred dollars per month

or even both

ABW Ambassador
    Ecommerce just gets bigger each year. There will always be merchants who want more traffic and sales to their sites. A sale is a sale. Whether it's from the biggest affiliate out there to the smallest. Imagine a new merchant coming online for the first time. Affiliates could do wonders for them. It's competitive out there. It's good to have a whole bunch of affiliates out there trying to get good SERPS, spending their own money on PPC to send merchant sales and other means of getting traffic to that merchant. It's here to stay.

As far as the scumsuckers, I've always said their business model is one that will eventually implode on them since most people don't want that crap on their computer. Whatever doesn't get handled now, will be handled by the up and coming generations. Ones raised with computers and internet in the home and at school. They're going to be sharp, know computers inside and out, technically advanced. And they want clean computers. Don't think you'll ever zap it completely but things will get better.

Very Good point, Trust

http and a telephoto
    Merchants don't care how many affiliates the networks are cutting checks for... the merchant doesn't have to cut the checks unless they are an indy program. Regardless, they don't care how many, they care about how much in aggregate sales they are getting
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Well , this is off subject and maybe wrong, but why do many of the big companies pay their affiliate managers $8.00 per hours, if the bottom line could ten fold?

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Merchants don't care how many affiliates the networks are cutting checks for... the merchant doesn't have to cut the checks unless they are an indy program. Regardless, they don't care how many, they care about how much in aggregate sales they are getting
    Exactly my point, meaning they don't care if your honest or a scumsucker (word of the day)

SO why ( which I will never do) not start creating my own scumsucker software?

ABW Ambassador
    See the second paragraph I added on post #7.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    Well , this is off subject and maybe wrong, but why do many of the big companies pay their affiliate managers $8.00 per hours, if the bottom line could ten fold?
    Typical corporate America mindset. I have seen first-hand what a good affiliate manager can make on their own and it is more like $8 a minute

As long as there are people who have been conditioned to be a worker bee, there will be people to fill those $8/hr AM positions. In the end what those jobs end up being is a feeder to get people in the business only to have them leave and make real money elsewhere or on their own. There are lots of companies with an Affiliate Manager who makes $100K or more, but yes, there are lots of companies who either don't believe enough in their affiliate channel or are just too stupid to see how a good AM can make them eons more money.

If a company is paying an AM $8/hr because that is all the AM is worth, they should fire them immediately. Being a relatively new channel, some companies are only now coming around to realize the potential and realizing that they can't just transfer someone in from Accounting to fill the slot and make it a success.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1

As far as the scumsuckers, I've always said their business model is one that will eventually implode on them since most people don't want that crap on their computer. Whatever doesn't get handled now, will be handled by the up and coming generations. Ones raised with computers and internet in the home and at school. They're going to be sharp, know computers inside and out, technically advanced. And they want clean computers. Don't think you'll ever zap it completely but things will get better.
    I dont think they will be able to control this at all......Because basically anything software written by humans can be hacked by humans...

However speaking of upcoming generations..............How can this be hacked...

Take coupon codes for an example. If each affiliate was given a dedicated coupon code, that the end user would have to manually enter... and the coupon code was the main tracking method...to me this would be the only fool proof tracking method. Manual tracking versus automated tracking

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter

If a company is paying an AM $8/hr because that is all the AM is worth, they should fire them immediately. Being a relatively new channel, some companies are only now coming around to realize the potential and realizing that they can't just transfer someone in from Accounting to fill the slot and make it a success.
    So what your telling me, maybe I should get certified in Affiliate management in MIami (I forget who runs this) and my results should influence my salary. It seems to me that maybe a better route to take for a stable income

AT 1 time , I was making 10,000 per month and now I make pennies on the dollar, so to me this would be the safest route, correct?

Internet Cowboy
    So what your telling me, maybe I should get certified in Affiliate management in MIami (I forget who runs this) and my results should influence my salary. It seems to me that maybe a better route to take for a stable income

AT 1 time , I was making 10,000 per month and now I make pennies on the dollar, so to me this would be the safest route, correct?
    If you want to be an affiliate manager, Andy's seminar would be a great start. If you want to be an affiliate, keep plugging away at it with one word in mind....DIVERSIFICATION. You can't rely on SEO, PPC or any other single promotional method or any single merchant or network. Remove the words "only" and "single" from your vocabulary and from your mindset and you are well on your way.

My session at Affiliate Summit is based on this thinking. Get outside of the box a little in your affiliate marketing activities. It is a pain sometimes and the immediate returns are not nearly as large 100% of the time, but building traffic from non-traditional sources that are often right under our nose is where the magic starts to happen.

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    My session at Affiliate Summit is based on this thinking. Get outside of the box a little in your affiliate marketing activities. It is a pain sometimes and the immediate returns are not nearly as large 100% of the time, but building traffic from non-traditional sources that are often right under our nose is where the magic starts to happen.
    Thank You very much, Uncle you just gave me a breathe of fresh air and a new insight.....................to be continued........

ABW Ambassador
    "I dont think they will be able to control this at all......Because basically anything software written by humans can be hacked by humans..."

I have this belief that people want clean running computers. I've never heard anybody say "Oh yay, i have adware on my computer. I love getting pop ups, my computer was running too fast and this slows it down perfectly"

Whenever I have taken adware off of people's computers they are happy. Not happy with the people behind it.

So over time, not going to happen overnight, people will learn how to keep their computers clean. Some have to learn the hard way. My first computer was destroyed by it. I learned, I've now had a clean running computer for years. It's nice, I think people want a clean running computer like the one I have. I don't expect 100% success rate but people are only going to get smarter about this type of stuff. Computers are a very major part of everyday living. And it'll happen by various way. Education, laws and lawsuits, computers and browsers and other applications designed to keep computers clean etc.

WIth all the scumware and downloadable scumware out their, do you really think there will be a place for affiliate marketing in the future...
    *Affiliates hate scumware

*Ethical merchants hate scumware

*End-users hate scumware

In what situation will scumware kill affiliate marketing? In the situation that there are no more ethical merchants, because most affiliates and end-users will always hate parasites. By the tendency we trace here at ABW, there are at least hundreds of merchants (and affiliate managers) that will fight unethical behavior in the industry for the rest of their lives...

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    *Affiliates hate scumware

*Ethical merchants hate scumware

*End-users hate scumware
    I thought about my list for some time, thinking whether I should add "educated" before "end-users", and no... End-users eventually have to educate themselves about scumware, as most of the downloadable one will cause harm to their computers. It is merchants who have to be educated about it. So that adjective "ethical" may well need an addition of another one - "educated".

Geno

As long as there is an affiliate who wants to do it and as long as there is a buyer who wants to use the net to buy something.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Merchants dont know any better, however here is where the value of a good AM or OPM come in....we want a wide base of affiliates generting sales, the wider the more stable the program. I'd rather cut checks to 300 affiliates than one dozen anyday....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    Merchants dont know any better, however here is where the value of a good AM or OPM come in....we want a wide base of affiliates generting sales, the wider the more stable the program. I'd rather cut checks to 300 affiliates than one dozen anyday....
    Exactly. I don't think we should expect merchants to educate themselves, it is up to everyone who wants a future in this biz. Most merchants have no idea about the effects of scumware. When my clients were told about the effects of scumware, they wholeheartedly agreed to not allow them in their program (otherwise, I wouldn't work with them).

If you only have 10 or 12 super affiliates in your program, you have a major problem.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Online Marketing Consultant
    As per the future of affiliate marketing from a merchant standpoint, the extra sales and exposure wether it is on PPC campaigns etc... wether or not they are producing sales, they are still helping you keep your competition out of the game.

Although some companies might not need affiliate marketing, many companies can and will benefit from people like you and with the internet still offering new opportunities and ideas and Internet 2.0 always growing, merchants and companies will always need affiliates to help come up with new ideas and get their feet in the doors because of all of our redtape and all of the things which block us from being able to jump in.

You all help to shape some of the industries and newer ideas so there will always be a need for you guys as long as there are people in marketing departments like me who see the value of having a good and strong affiliate network, especially if you have creatives out there.

I don't see an end to affiliate marketing, but I do see some shifts and some twists and turns that could happen.

On another note, I am not familiar with scumware can someone explain it to me? Thanks.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Even with thieves a plenty, my business continues to grow. Navigating to safe waters takes some learning through experience (and often from guidance from people here), but our industry is alive and well and kicking! When done right (or even close to right), an affiliate program is a great way for a merchant to grow incremental sales with little risk and a very high ROI.

People who sell stuff will always be able to find work. Always.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast