Does anybody buy opt in e-mail addresses.
    I've always been leary of doing this since I have grown my mailing list through trade shows and promotions.

Our monthly Newsletter gives us a such a shot of traffic and sales are strong at that time.
    It's tempting to entice shoppers from places other than our local market.

Any comments?

Clearly there must be some money to be made in spam or else people wouldn't do it. However, I've always tried to conduct my business in such a way as I think the internet ought to be, not necessarily the way it is. Perhaps that's somewhat naive, but if something bothers me when I get it, I certainly don't want to send it to someone else. And let's face it, most people who are on the opt-in lists are not anxious to be getting your email, they probably didn't realize the number of people their email would be sold to when they signed up for whatever they signed up for. It's spam, just by another name.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you're putting affiliate links in your spam email, you're probably violating the affiliate agreements of some of your merchants. If you've built up a genuine email list of people who want your newsletters, I'd stick to those. Dave

I have in the past and was ripped off. I would never do email marketing again unless it was with one of the big companies who have been around awhile such as Postmaster Direct. I lost money because I bought the service and they told me they sent me email out. According to them I got about 1500 click thru's, but according to my web stats, I got 0. On top of that it was an html ad and there was 0 hits for the images that were in the ad for that day. Luckily my credit card company was nice enough to give me my money back. Anyways, me very very careful of the service you use.

You would do well to review some of the threads in the Getting Traffic - Effective advertising sections of ABW. A good place to start would be this thread:http://www.abestweb.com/cgi-b in/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=50&t=000002

I think you'll find the advice from most here will be to keep growing your own list, and that buying a list from someone else, is extremely dangerous, usually getting many potential and present customers angry with you. All lists purchased from "someone else" are dirty to some extent, it really depends on how much you spend. Do yourself and everyone else a favor, and keep your own list, it's a great tool, and you know who is on it (presumably).

Organic is 100 percent correct about the links. In fact, if you SPAM someone without links, they come to your site and see affiliate links, they may still complain, and you may still have problems.

My two-cents worth, sorry to be so negative. BTW, glad you joined ABW!

Fred

Thanks Organic, drumminlogan, and buy_online,

I will follow your advice and I feel much better already!
    I'm serious I was really close to the edge and ready to jump! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Don't buy those email lists. Waste of money, the addresses probably didn't opt in to be in those lists, poor quality traffic, not targeted at all.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread