ABW Ambassador
    DMOZ is DEAD
    Apparently the machine holding dmoz in AOL ops crashed. Standard backups had been discontinued for some reason; during unsuccessful attempts to restore some of the lost data, ops blew away the rest of the existing data on the system.

http://www.skrenta.com/2006/12/dmoz_...ed_up_yet.html

[That is the founders blog]

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!

Internet Cowboy
    That looks like great news to me. If the SE's start ignoring DMOZ that will be great for the affiliate world.

Exclamation
    but there must be 30 to 100 clones of it around the world . . .

Oh... ACTUALLY dead. I've seen similar forum post titles proclaiming that for years, but more on a value level
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    dmoz is back
    the backend is reopened to editors
    they can now add/remove/modify listings
    dmoz did lose significant data
    they lost most unreviewed submissions
    abuse reports, editor notes etc
    public wont notice anything

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Argh, I was all ready to dance on its grave!

Sounds like the band's really warmed up now, though...I'll keep my dancing shoes handy!

ABW Ambassador
    For those "more creative" webmasters, loosing the DMOZ editor notes is like the police losing your criminal record!

They lost unreviewed submissions? That's 95% of their data...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

DMOZ is in serious need of a technology upgrade. It's just not a viable or practical solution anymore. They should take a hint from Digg or del.icio.us and open it up to everybody. I can imagine a very nice system where a site needs at least a handful of submissions from multiple registered users before it'll become visible in the traditional DMOZ directory. Maybe even add a voting system like Digg to double check the listings and make sure there isn't any cheating going on. They have so much potential, but they're letting it shrivel away by the lack of upgrades.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    IMO d-blows should just DIE

I can imagine a very nice system where a site needs at least a handful of submissions from multiple registered users before it'll become visible in the traditional DMOZ directory. Maybe even add a voting system like Digg to double check the listings and make sure there isn't any cheating going on.
    Then what would be the difference between them and Digg?
    Also, new sites would be screwed (by design) if they needed multiple votes to show up. But, it's often new sites that are wanting to get in DMOZ...after all, once the traffic is coming from somewhere else, who needs that directory?!
    They have so much potential, but they're letting it shrivel away by the lack of upgrades.
    That, and the lack of ever reviewing most submissions, and the "editor's notes" that apparently penalize multiple submissions (what if someone else actually does like your site and submits it on their own?!), etc. etc. etc.

It'll take a lot more than good software to fix their system. Their whole methodology and mindset (as an organization) need to be nuked and rebuilt from the ground up.

For a directory, I'd say del.icio.us blows them out of the water: For webmasters, no snooty editor in the way who thinks she's God's gift to the Internet. And for the users, the ability to have their own say in what's worth seeing--without going through a possibly cronyism-infested and heirarchical approval process to become an "editor" themselves.

Also (you can tell I took another look at that del.icio.us site...) I like that you can post a single page or article to the newer sites, whereas with D-Blows you'd be lucky to get a listing to the category level of your site instead of your front page (IF they'd list it at all).
    Last edited by Leader; December 19th, 2006 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Clarification

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    wow, i've been checking there site to see when submissions would be back. Now i know why....
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I kind of like JoeAnt.com as a human edited directory. No ill will towards dmoz, but if you have a backlog of like 2 years of submissions, yet you turn down sincere applications to help like they did, they pretty much dug their own pit. The directory was woefully out of date, lacking in basic communication levels, and seemed to take pride in the fact that they were underfunded and unwilling to explain submission status.

Personally, I don't believe it is dead, though. Too much work went into it for it to just disappear.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    Dmoz is still important for SEO - it DOES have a positive effect on rankings. I'd hate it to lose it for that reason alone. I'd have to do some proper link building work then and that's just too much like hard graft.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    DMOZ is in serious need of a technology upgrade. It's just not a viable or practical solution anymore.
    It's like pricewatch and everybody was using it, then companies like shopping.com and pricegrabber.com came along and they lost their competititve edge. Right now, eventhough they did an upgrade to their system IT wise, they are plagued by suck ass merchants.
    Dmoz got to get competitive or if not, just let it go dead. SE are still crawling it but it lost a lot of its authority

I used to use DMOZ. But not anymore now..

Hi all,

It came back online a couple of days ago.

Cheers,

Gil
    A. Gil de Lamadrid
    eCommerce Manager
    Consumers Interstate Corporation

If it were not for SEO, who would care?

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeofEgypt
    If it were not for SEO, who would care?
    Umm your posting on a 6 month old post. And I dont really get what your saying.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread