CJ Help
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can help me out here, i'm fairly new to cj and all these affiliate tracking things.

I just signed up for cj and recently got an affiliate approved.

The question is if a user or me were to post in a forum with a specific product from for example buy.com would i have to go and search for the tracking link for each product in cj? is there like a main tracking link and after that all you have to type in his the url to that product?

ex:
    http://www.blahblahstore.com/sku=12412412414 <-some random product.

is there like a main tracking link where i can append the ex link above to it. b/c i think it woudl be hard if i woudl have to go back to cj and look it up every time.

If your thinking of updating a single product url to redirect you may run into issues as the only way to know the CJsku is to get it through the system (someone shcool me if you have a quicker way).

The only hope for that is a redirected link and that's a advertiser by advertiser issue as some allow redirected urls and some don't. Once you have picked a link that allows redirection the best thing to do is set it up the way that is easiest for you and do a test click to see if it tracks the click or not. (There is also the issue of do you include the display pixel or not, to track impressions)

just did a test and found that one advertisers redirected link has %2 for "/" so it may not be as simple as just changing the url like it was in the past.

Is anyone currently using the simple URL replacement style link?

So that means i can't append a PID or anything to the end of any product link on buy.com for cj to track me? b/c i know like if you get some links off cj.com it's like

www.andover.com?click1231231-1231231?url=

in the url= i can't just put in any link from buy.com for cj to track the purchase? I was thinking of both options but... i'm not sure.
    Anyone have an easier way, because from what i understand from your post is that you would have to go to cj and look up the product link then go back to the forum and then update the original post with the url you get from cj for that specific product.

I think what you want to do is append the sid tag.
    www.andover.com?click1231231-1231231?sid=

From the CJ site:

SID: If you are using Commission Junction's SID (Shopper Identification) tracking technology, the SID displays. The SID is an optional field that you may use for your own tracking purposes. It is related to Commission Junction’s SmartRewards program, which provides the capability for you to track where your sales and leads originate so that you can target and/or reward your unique shoppers. This is accomplished through adding the SID to the tracking code of your advertiser links.
    Hope that is what you wanted. I'm not sure if you have any programming/development experience, but if your store was dynamic, you could just echo the product name or url into the url and save yourself all manual work.

if the store supports url redirection (like buy.com does), you can look up one of the products links, and mimic that on other urls (basically prepending some cj link, and then encoding the buy.com url)

Sorry for the confusion, i know words are clumsy. What i mean was that when like a member post in forum they usually link the product that already has a product sku on it.

ex: http://www.buy.com/1231231sku-1231123 .

I was wondering is there a main tracking link i can put in front of it from buy.com so it still redirects to that product instead of the main page and also have cj track it as a sale. is there anything like that.? b/c all i see from the get links is that you can search for a product and they give you a special link for it.

If that's the only way to do it that means i would have to go through the forum and change the link to the one given to me by cj for the conversion.

try it the way you want to do it the proof is in the results, but you'll want to use a link that supports url redirection to any page or product, and not a product link (product specific).

the encoding of characters such as "/" may be a non issue, but until you try it in your format within your forum it's just guessing.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread