Gift Help - MP3 & Music Download Sites
    I am buying a MP3 for a gift and I know nothinggg about them. I still play cds anyway, I also want to include a subscription to download music. Does anyone have a favorite? This is for my husband who likes old rock and roll, blues, some new stuff. The MP3 I'm looking at is at J&R - the Sandisk. Since Christmas is like... very soon! I could really use some help. I always buy the wrong thing
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    You can buy itune gift cards, if you want to go the itunes way, most stores that carry other store's gift cards will have them.

Or yahoo music is a pretty damn good system. Yahoo gives you access to 2 million songs for about $5 a month (yes, they have an affiliate program).

Chet

Just an aside if you travel alot. I came accross a nice service at mp3tunesdotcom . It has three levels of storage, the first being free. You can upload MP3s and "store" them in your "locker". You can then, when traveling, download new playlists/tunes so you are not listening to stale tunes. I travel a lot so it was a nice fit.

Take care,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    You can buy itune gift cards.
    I don't believe that iTunes is compatible with a SanDisk MP3 Player.

Hi Leann-
    There are two ways to get tunes onto a MP3 Player: Buy them or "Rent" them

Buying: Songs cost about a $1 per. You pay, download to your computer and you own it. You can burn to a CD (or several CDs), load it onto your player, etc. (My information may be a bit out dated... but last I knew, there's no monthly charge to have access to buy mp3s)

Renting: I love this method. I use Rhapsody To Go (from Real). I choose Rhapsody mostly because it was free for 6 months with the player. I love this method of getting music. For less than $15 per month you get to "eat all you want". I really like this because there are songs or artists that I haven't heard for a long while, grab the album and listen. When I'm satiated I simply delete it. It also lets me try other artists. Also, I love downloading comedy albums. Great for the commute home after a tough day at work. How many times are you going to listen to a comedy album. Renting is perfect!

Yahoo Music is another good source for "renting". I'll bet they are cheaper too.

Both services have Affiliate Programs

Another thing to consider is the type of MP3 player. Like the computer world there are two different kinds of MP3 players... the iPod (by Apple) and everything else. iPod uses a proprietary format that really boxes you in on where you can get your music. I hate that, that's why I went with the "everyone else" side. But.. hey.. I'm a windows guy.

I have a Sandisk Sansa 2Gb player. One last word of advice...get one with the most amount of memory you can afford.

Hope this helps!

Way cool AWESOME GIFT!

~Bob

ABW Ambassador
    I use Napster without any problems. They have a program too at CJ.

I don't know anything about them either. I've still got a turntable. No.....don't actually use it, but didn't want to part with it. They might be valuable some day.

Took a quick look at Consumer Reports and was gonna say the same as Rainmaker did. That seems to be the one thing they mention too is to make sure what works with which online store. Do know JR is supposed to rank really high with customer satisfaction from something I saw on the news recently. Somebody there ought to be able to tell ya which the one you're gonna buy works with I would think Agree too...nice gift for hubby

Okay. so is a mp3 player and an ipod basically the same thing? ipod is just the brandname of a mp3 player right? i've decided to run over to bestbuy today and the salespeople there just don't have time for someone as uncool as i'm going to be I recently bought a tv from them and tried to get them to explain the different kinds and the guy could hardly contain his laughter at my ignorance. i bought one and i still am clueless if it's a good one. thanks for the advice!
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Right, the iPod is an mp3 player. At this point, it's really the only game in town...

I'm an admitted apple fanboy, but apple makes some great stuff. They are easy to use, easy on the eyes, and are supported by the iTunes music store, which really is an excellent way to purchase music. Plus, they play all other regular mp3's (just not some that you download from other stores...)

If you are just starting your music collection (ie. you don't have lots of music from other places) then start off with the good one...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    Plus, they play all other regular mp3's (just not some that you download from other stores...)
    But does iTunes have an "all you can eat" subscription service like Yahoo, Napster, or Rhapsody?

No, you're right, it doesn't. But I'd rather own my music then rent it...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Renting music. So what happens when you download it? It self-destructs in 30 days?
    leeann

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Ipods are nice, but I'll tell you what, I found another MP3 player that blows any iPod we have ever owned out of the water. A friend of ours had one and loves it, so we just bought one for our daughter.

Our friend was a strict iPod/Mac fiend until he got his hand on this MP3 player. It is the Creative Zen Vision:M.

I also spent hours reading reviews and people love this MP3 player. Other strict iPod fans also have said it rocks.

With anything other than an iPod you don't have to worry about getting the songs in the correct format like you do with an iPod. The iTunes software sucks in my opinion and is kind of a pain in the butt to use compared to other software out there.

You can see the MP3 player I bought here:
    http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenvisionm/

You get more for your money with one of these compared to an iPod too!
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Renting music you don't really download it. It streams from the service's site. When you stop paying the monthly fees, there goes your collection.

As for the zen, it does look nice. Honestly, I don't even own an mp3 player (I don't really think I'd ever use it!), but I've used a bunch (friends and such), and that click wheel on the ipod really is the easiest to use.

Still, there are definitely cheaper ones out there, and ones that offer more options. You probably can't go wrong with most out there, seeing as they are becoming so similar anyway.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Renting music. So what happens when you download it? It self-destructs in 30 days?
    Yes, kind of. You download it to you computer and then sync it to your MP3 Player (same routine as buying). The difference it there is a time tag attached to the file (song). You have to sync your device to your computer at least once every 2 weeks to get a fresh license. Typically you do that anyway because you are always loading new music, getting rid of old. So it all happens in the background, transparently to you. If you don't sync, and the license expires, the next time you try to play that song, a message on your MP3 player's screen says that the license has expired and you need to sync to refresh it.

The streaming that MindSprinter is talking about is a different service. Has nothing to do (essentially) with getting songs on your player

Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    It is the Creative Zen Vision:M.
    WOW! That reminds me... that's ANOTHER category you have to choose on.... hard drive or RAM.
    I like the "no moving parts" and extreme lightness of a RAM player. If your husband is the type to store ALL his music in one place... always will want any song available anytime, then a hard drive model is good.

For me, 2 or 4gig storage is enough for me.. something like 500-1000 songs. With "renting" I just swap in and out a variety of music. That many songs is all I need for a week or two.

Also, my 2gig runs on the very small, "get anywhere" AAA battery for like 30 hours. It's awesome.

Good point rainmaker! Flash memory is a great way to go (if you don't need a huge 80 gb player!)

Most makes have them (of course, the ipod nano comes to mind... ), so check that out. At least you know no moving parts are going to fail.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I would get a Zune, the Zune service has the ALl you can eat type sub and you can put MP3s you own on it.

I didn't have time to go today and now I'm glad. Thanks for the great info!
    leeann

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread