Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Making the impossible possible
    I don't know what it is about me, but if there is a way to make the impossible possible - I tend to find it.

For those who don't hear the weather outside their own locales, we are in the middle of a huge blizzard here in Colorado. It started this morning and has already dumped three feet at my place. It is going to continue through the night and through mid day tomorrow. I've already run the plow blade over our road three times - and I'm sure I'll do it at least twice more before hitting the hay tonight. So here is the impossible that I made possible today......

Several hours ago while I was plowing in my pickup truck, I noted the blade was not dropping all the way to the ground. I have an electric winch type system for raising and lowering the blade. Apparently while plowing up a big mound of snow, the snow mound raised the blade, and the chain that raises and lowers the blade got hung up - so the blade was stuck half way.

I got out and looked under the blade to see that the chain had bound up on a mounting bolt. I raised the blade all the way up to allow slack on the bottom half of the chain. I was laying on my side tapping on the chain to free it up and suddenly - as it let loose, the blade (230 lbs) did a free - fall right onto the side of my head. My head was pinned between the blade and the driveway. Odd thing is - I conscientiously thought about that possibility before I positioned myself near the underside of the blade. I thought I had positioned myself out of the range of the blade... I was wrong

At first I laid there with my head smashed under that guillotine. Then when I realized that I was ok, I pushed up the side that was on my head and scooted out from under it. Luckily - and I mean LUCKILY - I was wearing a coyote Cossack hat. The blade came down on it, cutting the fabric, but sparing my cranium. It cut the side of my face about half way down my right ear, and also gashed my ear. I hobbled into the house and Ellen immediately came to my aid. After laying on the couch for a bit, popping some aspirin and holding a towel against the wounds and calming down - the pain started to subside. Now all I have is a bit of a headache - but I am somehow OK.

I can't help but laugh at my poor fortune on this one. I mean - after all, How many people have ever gotten their head stuck under a plow blade? What are the odds of that one happening? LOL (ouch)

Any way, just had to report it here. Ellen won't let me lay down or sleep for a few more hours, so I had some time to kill. I am really happy and really fortunate that this was not a disaster. But on the up side of things - now if any of you ever wants to know what it feels like to have a 230 lb steel plow blade drop flat on your head from two feet above you - I have some experience in that area.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

OMG - that's just exactly the kind of thing we Mothers worry about when there's some sort of bad weather or natural disaster. We always think that if there's a way for something to break off or get cut off or whatever - it's going to happen.

My MIL is in Loveland and we were talking to her just awhile ago. You guys are really getting hit hard.

Matt started a thread about the blizzard and we were hoping you were OK. Little did we imagine the truth. Take care!

Alan I have had some weird things happen to me, but never something like that.
    Glad you are OK!!

*note to self, add to my personal rules of life list, number 1318 ... never stick head under snow plow blade*

**nother note to self ... look for affiliate program selling coyote Cossack hats and use this story in sales pitch**
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

ooooh you be sure to be careful next time you go near that thing. You're reallllly lucky you didn't get really seriously hurt. Your poor Ellen must've really gotten scared seeing you all bloody like that.I agree with her. You could have a concussion.....so stay awake. Glad you're ok couldn't resist since I found these guys...you must feel like this: sorrry..

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Geeeeze Alan - knock off the heroics ... we fully expect you to be alive and well at Aff Summit in January! LOL

Seriously, glad you're OK. Sounds like a huge OUCH!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

You must have done some MAJOR good in a past life to get out of that one in the shape you did! Glad to hear that you're ok and for Pete's sake, be careful!

Well, I am happy to have awakened this morning and so far - no headache.

Thanks for the kind words gang. Pop, your notes to self are wise reminders! Very funny too - made me smile.

I just measured out on the front deck and so far it's 41". We are in a little mountain area called "Pine" Colorado and generally we do not get the real heavy snows. But every once in a while - the snow Gods figure it's time to catch us up. This is supposed to end sometime this afternoon (which won't really bother me). My sons, DIL's and two grand babies are coming this weekend and a white Christmas it will be for sure!

* note to self..... reference popdawgs notes to self
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Alan! dude really, what did I tell you about things like this?

Who the heck am I top party with until 5:00 am in Vegas without you?

OK, I can think of a few people but it's just more fun with you!

Glad to hear you are a OK...now stop doing dangerous things for at least 6 weeks.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Internet Cowboy
    Alan,
    I am glad you didn't get hurt man. That must have scared the crap out of you! I'm glad you guys made it through the storm "relatively" unhurt. I bet you are the only one on the mountain who got his head stuck under a plow blade yesterday. December 20th is now Plow Day in the Hamilton household. See? It's like a mini-holiday leading up to Christmas.
    Have you checked the blade for damage? sorry, I had to
    See you soon bud

Matt - Thanks dude. I'm alive and well and for that I am thankful. I think other than a mild concussion and a broken thumb on my right hand that everything else is in working order - so I'm ready to have a few red bulls and vodka with ya.

Scooter - "Plow Day"???? That has a nice ring to it. I did some checking around and sure enough, there were no other instances reported on Dec 20 of anyone having their head crunched by a plow blade! It DID scare the crap out of me cuz I was worried that my hard head may have damaged the blade - but it seems to work ok today, so all's well that ends well! C'Ya soon.

Alan

so I'm ready to have a few red bulls and vodka with ya.
    **Pop's ears perk up**

If they have any left when i am done
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by popdawg
    **Pop's ears perk up**

If they have any left when i am done

Pop - as Matt can attest, I carry a supply of Red Bull with me whenever I travel, so if you suck em all up - I'll share some of mine with ya. They didn't have any at the hotel in Chicago when I went to Andy's AM workshop, so Carolyn was kind enough to run out and score a couple of them for me!!

C'Ya in V-Town. Alan

Seriously, that is really scary. It could have been so much worse, or even a tragedy. Wow.

I'm so glad that you are OK.

Thank you very much Sheri. Yes, it could easily have been a tradgedy. What shakes me a bit in the aftermath is how it was NOT. I can't believe it happened, especially when I had positioned myself where I thought I would be clear of it in case it broke lose. The really great part of it is that aside of a broken thumb and a couple of cuts I am absolutely fine - so thank you for caring!

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread