Government agency seeks to fine Fax.com $5.38M for sending unsolicited ads via fax machines.
    The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Wednesday proposed to fine Fax.com, a privately held company, $5.38 million for sending unsolicited advertisements via fax machines, commonly known as "junk faxes."

The government agency said Fax.com, which operates as a "Fax Broadcaster," faxing messages on behalf of others for a fee, apparently violated a telemarketing law that bars faxing any commercial pitches without the recipient's permission.

The FCC also said the company has engaged in a pattern of deception to conceal its involvement in sending the prohibited faxes.

"Despite repeated warnings from the commission and numerous consumer complaints, the company appears to have made no effort to mend its ways," FCC Commissioner Kathleen Abernathy said in a statement.

Abernathy said that with its action, the FCC hopes to send a strong signal that it won't tolerate violations of the anti-junk-fax law.

Fax.com has 30 days to challenge to the proposed fine or pay it.

Please please please sue the bastards out of existence and then start on the ones in the UK.

I have a fax machine at home and basically two people know the number. A few days after we got it installed we got our first junk fax, and then we've had one every few days since.

How did they know there was a fax machine on that number? It was a new number, and hadn't been a fax before. A bit of digging and asking around leads me to think that they try ALL numbers to find if they have faxes, build up a database and then keep sending out crap at MY expense. Now I know why my answering machine sometimes picks up an incoming fax attempt (twice in a row).. they're polling for fax machines. Bastards bastards bastards.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have a fax machine at home and basically two people know the number. A few days after we got it installed we got our first junk fax, and then we've had one every few days since.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know exactly what you mean Dynamoo. I work from home and if there is more than a few minutes when I'm not tying up the phone line I'm bombarded with either telemarketing crap trying to give me a free holiday or it's an "invisible" junk fax machine.

Does anyone know of any software I can install that will tie up their system once they logon to mine? I want to keep them busy for quite a while! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I can't simply ignore all hidden numbers that dial my phone as my wifes phone calls from abroad show up as unknown.

I'm just looking for something that will cost them money...

ABW Ambassador
    I just wish they'd apply that "junk fax" law to spam. I'd be a much, much happier person if they did. (and my in box would be 80% smaller)

"Despite repeated warnings from the commission and numerous consumer complaints, the company appears to have made no effort to mend its ways,"

Why "repeated warnings"? The junk fax law has been on the books for quite a few years, it's old news - if I go out and rob banks do I get "repeated warnings" to stop it?

These guys don't need repeated warnings, they don't need fines - what they need is prison time. Serious, hard prison time - let them spend a couple years in a cell with Bubba.

The only thing this whole news story tells me is if the Fed ever gets off it's butt and comes up with an anti-spam law, it'll be a complete waste of time.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    OK you domain sleuths find the guys behind Fax.com and their copycats and you'll also find a e-mail advertising spammer. Wonder what the guys at J2 communications are upto now. They sure paid out squatt to affiliates and now hawk some new fax service and spamm their affiliates. I pull most all links to them 8 months ago.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread