Can i give CashBack incentives to buy from my Deals website ?
    iam planning to develop a combined deals, coupons & rebates website, i am just wondering if i can give cashback incentives to people to buy through my website, basically sharing the portion of the comission that i get from the merchants ? if so,

will it violate any agreement with the merchants or affiliate network ?
    will affiliate networks provided any way of tracking individual buyers ?

any thoughts or any ideas or any urls related to this question in the forum will be appreciated ?

Lightbulb
    seems to me this question is presented about every 6-8 months here. you may want to search here on the subject for more input.

in most cases the merchant "owns" the customer, by agreement or otherwise, so that's one problem right on top.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    IMHO, it should be ok cos it's a layer before the merchant. there are a dozen sites that does that (that I know about) and one of them is eBates.

I know companies would use tracking such as the LS Signature program (AKA & U1)

Thanks for reply it was helpful, can you be specific on LS Signature program (AKA & U1) can u provide url if possible to find more information about the tracking ?

Here is the link to the Signature technology at LinkShare
    Quote Originally Posted by dealsdaddy
    Thanks for reply it was helpful, can you be specific on LS Signature program (AKA & U1) can u provide url if possible to find more information about the tracking ?
    http://www.linkshare.com/rc/signature.html

There ya go dealsdaddy. There is a link in the middle of that page that says overview.pdf.
    You need to apply to use this tracking option!
    Good luck!
    BJ

BTW-This is not a referal URL!
    Last edited by bobbi507; December 22nd, 2006 at 12:53 AM. Reason: wanted to ad this is not a referal url

http and a telephoto
    Each merchant has their own rules and you will need to check with THEM to see if you can feature them on the kind of site you want to create. Some specifically do NOT allow incentive sites of any kind, others allow some and not other types, and many approve on a case by case basis.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

FYI: CJ has their own version of the U1 program

I would not go this route. (my now removed spam link) offered cashback for qualifying purchases in the past, but we have currently disabled this feature, since it's very difficult to keep track of all the purchases and cashback (you need a dedicated person), plus it's not always accurate and you might get some compalins from some user. Even so, we still have the enire mechanism in place, if you need help to impelemt one, just let me know.
    Last edited by Trust; January 17th, 2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spam - you and your buddy just got perms

Thanks for the advise we will consider it , ... u still think it's difficult to track even with LS singature and CJ U1 program ? any stats on what are the error percentages in the transactions that you might expect ? please advise.

btw your website looks great ... we are probably thinking of doing something similar ... would you mind sharing how much effort it took for u to build the website , in terms of hours, money .. will it be a good ROI ?

Are you using any special data mining from different sources to get the deals data od do u get most from the existing dataefeeds or webservices from CJ & Linkshare ? any pointers would be appreciated.

Wouldn't it be considered an "incentive traffic" that some of the anvertisers are so scared of?

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    IMHO, it should be ok cos it's a layer before the merchant. there are a dozen sites that does that (that I know about) and one of them is eBates.

I know companies would use tracking such as the LS Signature program (AKA & U1)

Your best option is to go with a network marketing company with flexible promotions. Most affiliate programs have too many restrictions abound.

Its a lot of work. Many transactions don't track because:
    1. the users may have parasites installed
    2. they 'forgot' to click your link
    3. they used a coupon that invalidates commissions
    4. they bought a product that is non-commissionable
    Other issues are:
    1. they return the product (you need to track for that)
    2. they return the product long after you've paid.
    3. they return the product and the return doesn't track from which transaction.
    Also:
    1. Many stores don't allow it.
    2. you'd need people you trust to go track down transactions in the clearinghouses, which most give full-access or no-access.
    3. possible tax issues, and laws may vary from state to state.
    ... the list goes on and on....

Basically you sum it all.

Parasites eat up your commissions like hermits.

Merchants simply couldn't care less.

I don't have to deal with such issues any longer or I'd be OOB (out of business) . Don't be the next noob (Next Out Of Business).

There are many incentive sites out there and if done right, it can be successful.

As to parasites, look out for merchants that have less parasites. SAS have a strong stand against parasites. Other companies like SierraTradingPost, my program and also check out Chuck Hamrick's programs as we try to keep parasites out from our programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitty
    Wouldn't it be considered an "incentive traffic" that some of the anvertisers are so scared of?
    Yes, some merchants are scared of it and have strict rules against that. Then again, if the merchant discourage it, I hope that merchant is carrying products that are unique. Imagine that if merchant A is selling plane tickets and does not allow it, what are affiliates going to do, promote merchant B, C and D that sells plane tickets too. As a merchant, I prefer to have a customer and sales than have my competitors have it, may it be "incentive traffic" or not. As long as the traffic and that affiliate is doing it honestly, why not. I am not talking about uPromise.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread