Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Member concorde's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    109
    Music123 goes bankrupt
    Just got their email. Music123 is one of my favorite merchants and now I have to remove them from my website...

    http://www.music123.com/downloads/db...uptcy_case.pdf

  2. #2
    15 years and counting
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,121
    Quote Originally Posted by concorde
    Just got their email. Music123 is one of my favorite merchants and now I have to remove them from my website...

    http://www.music123.com/downloads/db...uptcy_case.pdf
    Music123 had a very successful program at CJ. Then, their CEO decided it was too easy for an affiliate to make money with them and he tried every possible tricks to don't pay us. The last blow was to switch to LinkShare. GoodBye.

    You're lucky to learn about their bankrupcy and to have the possibility to remove your links from your website. LinkShare is able to keep their links for months and to don't pay you at the end.

  3. #3
    Full Member
    Join Date
    September 30th, 2005
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    180
    Owwww geez, I made alot with them last year...
    Not in the last year though.

  4. #4
    Full Member
    Join Date
    September 30th, 2005
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by pexcornel
    Owwww geez, I made alot with them last year...
    Not in the last year though.
    I meant not this year though.

  5. #5
    Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2006
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    4,731
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=83300

    Can't never understand about the not paying aff issue. It's still one of the best deal for companies cos they will have a lower acquisition cost than other channels, print, tv or even PPC. In the long run, the company is getting a customer for live (unless they mess their order up).

    My program is a lead generation but I am hoping that it will change and it's a one time use customer and we still pay...

  6. #6
    15 years and counting
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,121
    Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=83300

    Can't never understand about the not paying aff issue. It's still one of the best deal for companies cos they will have a lower acquisition cost than other channels, print, tv or even PPC. In the long run, the company is getting a customer for live (unless they mess their order up).
    My program is a lead generation but I am hoping that it will change and it's a one time use customer and we still pay...
    That's a big flaw for a network taking around 30% of your income to collect your money. LinkShare don't have an escrow account for their affiliates. They don't even inform the affiliates of a possible problem and do nothing to help them to get paid. Wherevever you are, thank you Messers!
    At least the AM from music123 is pretty straightforward: "Unfortunately this means we will not be able to pay the past commissions due for October and November." Most of the time, the AM is fired just before declaring bankruptcy.
    Just be very careful if a merchant is late paying you.

  7. #7
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,817
    Or if they reverse like mad and then do the hop-skip to hide how bad it really is!

    As I said in the other thread:

    LOL glad I didn't follow 'em. I still think they went to Snare just so they could "clean" their batches of transactions, and pretend they weren't having any/as many reversals anymore (after getting an awful record as a major reversal-maniac when they were at CJ).

    Quote Originally Posted by Me, in June 2003
    I wouldn't follow them to any maybe-pay network even if they claimed to be offering a 110% commission. I know I'd never see it, not from THAT deadbeat merchant...it'd be reversed down to practically nothing in no time, and I'd probably have to sue for the rest!
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...40&postcount=5

    The only thing that surprises me about this one is that they made it so long without officially declaring bankruptcy and being sold off. 3 years from when I pronounced it Terminal, according to my quick search. Usually the zombie merchants stop staggering around sooner.

  8. #8
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    12,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader

    http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...40&postcount=5

    The only thing that surprises me about this one is that they made it so long without officially declaring bankruptcy and being sold off. 3 years from when I pronounced it Terminal, according to my quick search. Usually the zombie merchants stop staggering around sooner.
    A good lesson for the noobs: Listen to Leader.
    Peace,

    Rexanne

    Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic


  9. #9
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    March 15th, 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    64
    This is surprising news-- in contrast to the news that was announced about a month ago:
    http://multichannelmerchant.com/news...buys_11272006/

    I had heard that M123 was getting bought out just a day after the announcement, and wasn't entirely surprised. Since I manage two competing programs (zzounds, samedaymusic), many of the affiliates I work with promote Music123 as well. I wanted to at least let them know that an announcement is coming, or provide some help switching out their links with our skus if they had to kill their M123 links. I reached out to the M123 AM who explained that "nothing will change, we'll continue to operate as we have, but we'll have Guitar Center as a parent"...

    Now this news. Apparently the sale to Guitar Center wasn't finalized, and M123 is back on the auction block. Sad news, especially for affiliates.

    Leader, kudos on the insight. You could give miss cleo a run for her money (oh wait, she went bankrupt too!) =)

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1
    Yeah I heard about the M123 bankruptcy not too long ago. If what Leader says is true, thats a pretty shady thing for a company to do. Congradulations to those who saw through this one and got out


    Kevin Eaton
    GoDirectMusic.com

    ==============
    7%-10% commission on all sales, 60 day cookies, data feeds, phone tracking, no limits, no brainer. Affiliate yourself with the best in musical instruments and accessories, and pocket MORE with your page!

  11. #11
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    6,930
    I checked the following shitware sites this morning:
    e2give
    ebates
    igive
    mypoints
    schoolpop
    shopathome / shopathomeselect
    upromise

    All list Music123.

    I wonder about the extent of all these poachers biting into Music123's own marketing efforts (seo, ppc, email, direct mail, catalogs, etc)... and how much it contributed to their failure.

    When you pay out all that money to people doing nothing for you, it does affect your bottom line.

  12. #12
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,817
    Leader, kudos on the insight. You could give miss cleo a run for her money (oh wait, she went bankrupt too!) =)
    LOL I knew something stopped those Miss Cleo ads from incessantly showing...

    I'll stick to making forward-looking statements about things that have pretty clear signs, and refrain from trying to predict people's love lives or lucky lotto numbers!

  13. #13
    15 years and counting
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I checked the following shitware sites this morning:
    e2give
    ebates
    igive
    mypoints
    schoolpop
    shopathome / shopathomeselect
    upromise

    All list Music123.

    I wonder about the extent of all these poachers biting into Music123's own marketing efforts (seo, ppc, email, direct mail, catalogs, etc)... and how much it contributed to their failure.

    When you pay out all that money to people doing nothing for you, it does affect your bottom line.
    I can't believe it. I remember I quit working with them the day they switched to LinkShare, it was several years ago but I've no idea of the date. They had none of these thieves in their program.
    I can't believe it because they were so cheap, always trying to reverse our commissions at CJ. I had a ton of traffic at that time, top positions for most Orchestra Instruments. Genuine, targeted traffic for their products.
    I lost money by working with others but at that time I was too mad at LinkShare to follow them.
    It should be a warning for other merchants, the traffic from these parasites is worth nothing.

  14. #14
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    March 15th, 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I'll stick to making forward-looking statements about things that have pretty clear signs, and refrain from trying to predict people's love lives or lucky lotto numbers!
    Damn, Leader. And I was just about to pull out my check book and ask you about 2007, my first year as an OPM

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I checked the following shitware sites this morning:
    e2give
    ebates
    igive
    mypoints
    schoolpop
    shopathome / shopathomeselect
    upromise

    All list Music123.

    I wonder about the extent of all these poachers biting into Music123's own marketing efforts
    Good eyes, Donuts! Its too bad we couldn't see what their books look like when they went bankrupt. I bet their marketing spend looked ugly from having partners like that... Wouldn't it be nice to see how their performance and expenses changed as a result of those partnerships? It'd be one hell of a smoking gun to share with the merchants who are playing with those AssWare douchebags...

    -Mike-

  15. #15
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,817
    Its too bad we couldn't see what their books look like when they went bankrupt. I bet their marketing spend looked ugly from having partners like that... Wouldn't it be nice to see how their performance and expenses changed as a result of those partnerships? It'd be one hell of a smoking gun to share with the merchants who are playing with those AssWare douchebags...
    There might be some way for creditors to get a look via the Bankruptcy Court. And any affiliates they still owe money to are legally "creditors" in such proceedings...

  16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. S E X is bankrupt, er...the owner of S*X.com, that is
    By Bill in forum Domains & Hosting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 19th, 2010, 12:50 AM
  2. 25% of Retailers May Go Bankrupt
    By Trust in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
  3. Music123 goes bankrupt
    By Eric Ewe in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 23rd, 2006, 02:52 AM
  4. SchoolPop went bankrupt!
    By Sam Bay in forum Suspicious Activity!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 27th, 2005, 06:46 PM
  5. ValueClick Bankrupt?
    By finaidguy in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 7th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •