All,

I'd like to start this thread so that AMs can see that the Dupers really do not add value to their offerings and, in actuality, are just parasites on REAL affiliates (US).

I'll start it with a quote from BluesX:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A merchant can have ebates, upromise and looksmart as affiliates and that'll be quite an elite group to work with.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are many more reward sites and other Dupers, lets help awaken the AMs with this thread.

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    maybe I'm just tired after a long day at work, but what are AMs?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>maybe I'm just tired after a long day at work, but what are AMs?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would likely be 'Affiliate Managers'. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

What are dupers? :confused:

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Duper Affiliates are people/businesses who have devised ways to to to trick shoppers to use their plug ins hoping to earn points- earn money -get rebates -coupon offers etc etc from their group of merchants. They POSE AS merchants on the networks hoping stupid affiliates will place their banners and text links on their sites so they can forever steal their hard earned traffic. Most plug-ins they offer launch from the endusers machine by taking over the shoppers browser so they can Popup incent offers no matter where the enduser surfs. They interlope on the traffic of others shoving their deals and paid for view merchants in the shoppers face to suck commissions and sales from all shopping sites.

On their own with no automated feeds from the networks and browser URL redirect scripts to their keyword triggers they would amount to a top 5000 affiliate. They are so full of it they feel they can command merchant status -preferencial treatment by the networks and actually in cases like Gator or eBates charge merchants huge fees to run a campaign through their devious hijacking interfaces.

They all push the enhanced shopping experience like all parasites/sumware vendors and try in every way possible to vacuum up commissions from all ABW member's traffic. They stay well hidden like rats in the night and never will they approach this board to spin their tangled webs. They bribe the networks to sell off their services to their merchant pool. Hope this starts to clarify what makes one a Duper-Affiliate ..how would I know for sure since they don't communicate unless you attend one of the cruise ship conferences or get on their affiliate enabled merchant rolodex.

Thanks Mike. Would morpheus be considered a duper?
    If so, I think I can add some value to this thread.

yes at least morpheus was a duper I think some of the problems with them have been corrected though.

ABW Ambassador
    I recall Andy from Tiger Direct telling when they dropped the 'Duper' affiliates....and their profits are climbing...a reminder to AM's to look into it...you will see that you are much better off, especially in the long run.

This experience happened a while back so I am telling it from a consumers point of view.
    I had my normal prompt to update my Mcafee virus protection. When I clicked on it I got a pop-up from morpheus (which interrupted my update) that told me I was at a morpheus reward site and had some options. (I don't remember them as it has been a while)
    I felt like my privacy had been betrayed. I did not like the fact that morpheus knew the sites I was visiting and I did not like the fact that Mcafee allowed morpheus to know the sites I was visiting.
    I immediately uninstalled morpheus and will consider switching virus protection when it comes due.
    Speaking to the AM's out there, I feel like the average consumer will feel the same as me.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    bghtn,

Yet Morpheus and the likes (such as Gator) would contend that you, as the end user, agreed to having this happened when you downloaded Morpheus. A good point that you do make, as an average consumer, for the AM to take note of, is that you evidently did not know what would be happening. And there are so many knock off companies who are copying the Gator technique, bundling their parasiteware into software downloads, that many people probably have no clue where it came from and where those pop ups are even coming from.

And yes McAfee is listed on Buyersport as a participating merchant. But Norton isn't. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

A note of caution though. If you used the Windows "Add/Remove" feature to uninstall Morpheus, then the parasiteware which caused that popup to happen in the first place is still on your computer. You can get a free download of Adawarewhich will scan and remove parasiteware from your computer.

Also a question for AM as I see that some of the active merchants who partacipate on ABW are listed on Buyersport. Why would you accepting affiliates which divert customers through their affiliate link once they have already found their way to your site on their own? That makes on financial sense to me.

I know Morpheus has supposedly cleaned up their act. But I still have problems with their methods. Just because they are supposedly no long highjacking our actual affiliate links doesn't mean they are the poster child for ethical marketing practices. :confused:

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread