Black List
    I have a few websites on the same hosting company (the same account). A few months ago all of them are listed in blacklist at WhoIs. Can you imagine my consternation! I never, never did any kind of spamming, not even s of spam. Even, never have included my website names in my emails!

I wrote to hosting company and they told me something like someone included server's IP in newsletters... (on that server is about 1000 sites) and they warned that client... bla, bla...

Anyway, now my sites have Blacklist history. Does anybody expirienced it? How long blacklist history live? Is it forever?

And more important: You must be VERY careful when you choose hosting company for your sites!!!

What do you mean when you say that your site is "blacklisted" at "whois"?

WHOIS is not a single entity -- it is essentially a query, which may be submitted to many different entities (for example, each domain registrar offers a WHOIS service to provide information about its registrants).

Probably what has happened is that one or more of the "blacklisting services" has flagged your IP address as one that (a) has been used to send spam, or (b) is controlled by an entity which either sends spam or does not "properly" prevent spam from being sent through its network, or (c) has an "open relay" that might be used to send spam.

Several years ago, I used mail-server software which defaulted to "open relay," and when I re-installed the software after a crash, I forgot to change this default setting. Within two hours, my server was being used (abused) to forward spam; within four hours, my IP address was added to several blacklists. I disabled the "open relay" but it took a huge amount of effort to manually request removal from each blacklist that added my IP address.

Put yourself in the shoes of the people who get spam (heck, you are certainly part of that group). We need a way to quickly and effectively block spam, which means we (or more commonly, our ISPs) subscribe to one or more of these "blacklisting services" to reduce the flow of spam to our inboxes.

You have several options here. First, research your ISP and determine whether ALL of this company's IP addresses are blacklisted; if so, move away. If you work with a legitimate ISP, then find out why your IP address is blacklisted, and how widely the IP is listed. If it's blacklisted on many different lists, you should probably request a new IP address from your ISP. If it's only blacklisted in a few places, you may be able to get it removed from the lists.

Keep in mind that NOT ALL BLACKLISTS ARE PUBLIC. Many companies configure their mailservers to flag and block IP addresses that appear to be "spammers" and they do NOT publish their blacklists anywhere, so there is no way to get removed from those lists. Long ago, I discovered that I was not receiving any email from any Earthlink customers, and only after many days of investigation, I discovered that my ISP was blocking all inbound Earthlink email (because during its early years, Earthlink was a huge source of spam, so that 90% or more of all email coming from Earthlink was spam). Long after Earthlink took aggressive action against spammers, that mailblock remained in place, unpublished.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    What do you mean when you say that your site is "blacklisted" at "whois"?
    I mean: whois.domaintools.com

My hosting comp told me: "The IP is listed in a small spam list which wont effect mail. The company has been contacted in regards to removing the IP.
    "

Several years ago, I used mail-server software which defaulted to "open relay," and when I re-installed the software after a crash, I forgot to change this default setting.
    I do not use any additional software on the server.

You have several options here. First, research your ISP and determine whether ALL of this company's IP addresses are blacklisted; if so, move away. If you work with a legitimate ISP, then find out why your IP address is blacklisted, and how widely the IP is listed. If it's blacklisted on many different lists, you should probably request a new IP address from your ISP. If it's only blacklisted in a few places, you may be able to get it removed from the lists.
    What is ISP? I don't understand well, how can I remove my sites form blacklist?

Quote Originally Posted by marketraise shuvayu
    The term blacklisting is generally used in.....
    Hi marketraise,

After reading two posts from you, I was beginning to like what you was posting because I thought you was providing good content from yourself, but you just let me down like some other old member around here did once long time ago.

I just found that you are just posting the same content from you got from wikipedia. Anyone can do that, but I think that's wrong, otherwise we can all get our sites content from wikipedia too, and beat the inexperienced affiliates on the SE's top positions.

All the content you posted on this thread Black List Posts: 4 comes from here: wikipedia - Blacklisting

Now I know why your posts are being edited.

hi Mr. Sal....

Just wondering who is this marketraise shuvayu? Where is that post he posted? just can't find it..the link didn't work..

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Idea Guy
    hi Mr. Sal....

Just wondering who is this marketraise shuvayu? Where is that post he posted? just can't find it..the link didn't work..
    It looks like marketraise has been banned & his posts deleted.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Idea Guy
    hi Mr. Sal....

Hi Idea Guy,

I don't see that shuvayu on this thread anymore, I guess he got and his posts was deleted too.

Yep, he spammed and all of his 'wisdom' was torched.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Yep, he spammed and all of his 'wisdom' was torched.
    ouch! and he deserved that!

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    Can an e-mail address at Yahoo! get blacklisted? How can you tell and what can you do about it?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread