This is something I never figured out - what are incentive programs, and why are a lot of merchants so against them? Just looking for definitions, really.

The sort of incentive programs I'm familiar with are those that want you to do something you otherwise have zero interest in doing: "Click this banner for two cents", "Visit this web site for ten points", "Accept this junkmail and click the link for a penny", etc. The hope is you will become interested during or after the visit (personally, I don't think it works that way).

As for merchants being opposed, I really don't know - the incentive program is paying for the visit hoping to generate commissions. My guesses off hand would be 1) the merchant is concerned about affs hiring spammers by mistake, and they don't want to be associated with that and 2) the merchant doesn't want to waste site bandwidth on people who have no interest in being there.

Now gimme back my scorpion!

I'm actually a Cancer, but the scorpion was cuter than the crab!

Since you're so active on this board, and I seem to be posting quite a bit too, I've been thinking of changing avatars (you were the first scorpion, after all), but I need an extra ten minutes to go through the jillions of avatars this board has to offer. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But getting back to the question, is having a contest incentivizing, or does it depend on what kind of contest? One of my merchants would like to work out a contest with me involving picking a newsletter subscriber (the winner gets one of the merchant's products). Just want to make sure that other merchants would not consider this incentivizing before going into this further.

Keep your scorpion, mine might get lonely.

You brought up another way of looking at it I hadn't thought of, Merchant A objecting to incentivizing Merchant B. I suppose that could extend to contests - that sounds pretty overbearing tho, especially when just about every merchant out there has had a contest at one time or another.

I can't imagine any reason for objections to a contest for a merchant when that merchant is the one sponsoring it. Or any right to object. Everything I've read here about incentive objections has always been to the penny per click/email type thing.

I think this is a case of other merchants only getting away with complaining about it if you let them, moving you from a working relationship to an ownership relationship. There's limits to everything, including their rules.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Scorpions? I though those were crawfish! Can you guess where I live?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I don't see where a merchant would consider you an incentive site if you were running a sweepstake type deal. If you are using the merchant's product as a prize in a drawing for all people who register for your newsletter. Now if you were offering a drawing for all visitors who clicked on your affiliate links or partiicipated in a lead program for another merchant, than yes that might be considered incentized.

Even many lead merchants don't like incentive sites. Let's say you offer all visitors who sign up for 3 lead programs on your site a free widget. People will sign up just for the free widget and not really be interested in the product they just signed up for. The merchant still had to pay you for the unqualified leads. It can add a lot of dead wood to the merchants databases and skewer their stats.

>>Even many lead merchants don't like incentive sites. Let's say you offer all visitors who sign up for 3 lead programs on your site a free widget. People will sign up just for the free widget and not really be interested in the product they just signed up for. The merchant still had to pay you for the unqualified leads. It can add a lot of dead wood to the merchants databases and skewer their stats.<<

Ah, I see what you mean. While I, on the other hand don't really care if people subscribe to my newsletter just to enter the contest, 'cause it isn't costing me anything if they just unsubscribe afterwards. Thanks for the info!

>>Can you guess where I live??<<

Hmmm, is that a Southern drawl I heard in your post? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not sure how I ended up being a three eyed green blob...but then I reread several of my posts and realized that it fits.

I thought maybe Haiku was clever and limited one Avatar per customer.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread