Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    It's Snow Laughing Matter
    Here we go again!! They are calling for one to two feet in the Denver area tomorrow, and up here where I live 2 - 3 feet! We are just getting things opened up from last week's dump and now we start again.

The parking lots and drive thru lanes at our coffee shops were so full of plowed snow that the lots are about 50% of original size. This time it's going to take back hoes (not to be confused with the other kind of hoe) and front end loaders to move it somewhere. Meantime coffee business is down 50% from the normal levels because folks don't want to hassle with the parking mess.

Oh well, sometimes stuff happens and all you can do is make the most of it. I'm thinking of packaging snow and putting an affiliate program together to market it!! Any takers? "Authentic Colorado Mountain Snow - 50% off!!" Maybe the folks at Franklin can put something together with me on this one!!

We'll see what happens, but other than the usual reasons that I am enthused to get a new day started each morning, I am NOT looking forward to tomorrow through Friday.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Online Marketing Consultant
    If you need a loader we get them in sometimes lol, the auction starts at $100 LOL

Are you gonna get the plow king jackets and caps like homer?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    ahh.. 70's in sunny florida.
    Time to move down here Alan

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    ahh.. 70's in sunny florida.
    Time to move down here Alan
    Eric, I think Arizona has more to offer

Alan, there's plenty of room in the wiki wiki wild wild west. Just like Colorado but WARM and no humidity!
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Good luck out there. Been through that many times when I lived in Buffalo. Amazingly, here in Rochester, we don't get a fraction of what they do there, despite being only 45 minutes away.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

We have had very mild winters here in the midwest the last few years with little snow. I don't miss it a bit.

Oh, now I've gone and done it! That Colorado snow will probably blow over to us now that I've said that.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Alan, I am driving from Park City to Fort Collins Saturday morning. I want to leave early and drive Hiway 40 out to see the mountains instead of the I-80 braindrain trip we just made last weekend.

Let me know if the 40 route would be a bad idea.

Chuck, if I had to make the call right now - I'd advise against it. They are now saying we are going to get 2 - 3 ft or more between tonight and Friday up in the high country. I will keep you posted tomorrow. The storm is supposed to last through Dec 29th, but may possibly linger into Saturday. As I live in the high country just miles south of I - 40 / I - 70, I will know what the actual road conditions are tomorrow. Hang in there and I promise to get back to you here or by email.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Nah Eric - I love Colorado. But we own a place in SW FL that is home from January through April - so in about two weeks we are FL bound - but I'd never consider another area of the country for primary residence. Too many wonderful wild trout streams and nature here to ever leave it for good!

Allen - I like AZ too, but my CO heaven is where my heart belongs. Our humidity is 8 - 13% and we don't have the extreme heat here in the hills so I'll stay put here and just do a little golfing in AZ duing the winter!!

Chuck - I'm in Fort Collins. Will PM phone# if you like.

Trouble is, once we get 1-2 feet of snow I can't get out my cul-de-sac and scout things out until the plow comes by. We were stuck here last Wed afternoon through Sunday morning.

As you probably know, sometimes they close I-80 during high winds and snow.

It's official - I just looked outside the window and it has started snowing out there...

OK Chuck here is the latest from the network of fishing guides I am in touch with in western and central CO, Wyoming and Utah.

Colorado

According to a contact in Breckenridge and another in Silverthorne, I - 70 (40) may be closed tonight if the present volume of snow keeps coming. If not tonight, it may well be closed tomorrow (Friday) as the storm is expected to continue throughtout the southern half of the state. They are getting hammered from Vail east to Denver. The airlines have once again cancelled all flights in and out of DIA.

Vail pass can be a nightmare, as well as the I - 70 trek up to Eisenhower tunnel and the 7 mile 8% downhill grade that drops you into Georgetown. The storm is going to lighten a bit tomorrow afternoon and then tomorrow night a second surge is coming through that is going to drop a lot more on us. I would sincerely advise you to avoid I - 70 this weekend in the interest of safety.

Dutch John Utah area around I - 80.

So far - so good. The brunt of the storm is well to the south - but my friend there said they are getting "some" snow.

Rawlins, WY, Casper, Cheyenne

Not too much snow as of 6 pm tonight, but high winds. I know you lived here for a while, so if you traveled I - 80 much, you know that wind and ice can be a serious problem.

At this point, my friend at the flyshop in Ft Collins said that they are not getting the volume that the southern half of the state is getting, but says the intensity may increase tomorrow. I will check again tomorrow and Mr. Jones can help out with what it is doing at his place.

I am also a pilot, so I will call the FAA weather service tomorrow and get a report from Salt Lake to Denver. You may want to think about changing your plans - but we'll see what happens the next 24 hours.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Nance
    Eric, I think Arizona has more to offer

Alan, there's plenty of room in the wiki wiki wild wild west. Just like Colorado but WARM and no humidity!
    doubt that i can live in AZ. Just too dry and when it's hot, it burning hot. I could live in CO but I am not sure I will survive the winter.

Alan, keep me posted about your plans and I still owe you lunch. Was so rush the last time we met, it was pretty hard to talk to you.

There's almost six inches of snow out there now. About an inch per hour so far. It's coming down thick here.

it's getting bad..

We are looking to Saturday afternoon or Sunday depending on the weather. I-80 is the only alternative at this point. Drove it last Saturday and Sunday. My wife and 18 year old spent a night in the National Guard Armory in Rawlins a year ago November.

The other factor is if we can get the kids down from Red Feather Lakes which is at 9,000 feet. They may have to be home schooled next semester (just kidding).

We are looking to Saturday afternoon or Sunday depending on the weather.
    It stopped snowing last night at about 6 inches in Fort Collins.

The local paper says "another blast" is due (Friday) tonight.

No snow here this morning.

I found this on the local newspaper (Fort Collins Coloradoan):

"Call For Help
    For help with stranded vehicles, drivers may contact the Colorado State Patrol at: 303-239-4501

For Road and weather conditions call: 877-315-ROAD or visit the CDOT Web site at www.cotrip.org".

I shoveled our driveway and around the house this morning. There's a guy on a backhoe has been helping neighbors and move snow around on the street all morning. He cleared our entire street!!!

When I was there last week I heard that the mayor wasn't going to deficit spend to clear out the side streets. That's why there were few working at night. I will say that Old Town was cleared up and I saw dump trucks hauling snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    When I was there last week I heard that the mayor wasn't going to deficit spend to clear out the side streets. That's why there were few working at night. I will say that Old Town was cleared up and I saw dump trucks hauling snow.
    Seems to me that 15-20 years ago a Mayor was thrown out on his keister in Denver for bad decisions on removing snow. I guess this one has decided to try and get re-elected.

At least it ain't poop.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Affiliate Manager
    I've heard that some stores in the area have been unable to receive shipments, meaning a potential food shortage for many.

This is a good time for a reminder to maintain emergency supplies at all times. Here in SoCal we don't have to worry about snow, but we do have earthquakes, and other places are prone to hurricanes, tornados, floods, etc.

I'd been putting it off for years, but two months ago I stocked our home with three weeks worth of food and water, just in case.

Think about all the potential disasters which can happen in your area, and if any of them have happened in the last 100 years you can bet they'll happen again.

Be safe, live long, live well.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    I think the City Manager makes those calls because he runs the budget and I am sure he consults with staff, the mayor, the council, etc.

The official line is that the city is not responsible for clearing residential areas. However, the bottom line is if nobody can get out, nobody spends any money, and the city is funded by sales taxes.

So my impression is the city will clear the streets, but not be held accountable or liable for how, or if, it is done.

(We used to have a City Councilor Eric Hamrick - no relation I presume.)

I've heard that some stores in the area have been unable to receive shipments, meaning a potential food shortage for many.
    Eggs, milk, and bread shortage - Yes, at least in some stores. Overall though, there is plenty of food on the shelves. I just asked my shopping consultant.

Think about all the potential disasters which can happen in your area, and if any of them have happened in the last 100 years you can bet they'll happen again.
    Not just that. SARS - Avian Flu - Flu Pandemic - TB and more. Although, I stocked up for Y2K, nothing happened.

Happy to hear Ft. Collins didn't get blasted M J. Here in Conifer we got 36" yesterday and last night. It stopped for about an hour this morning, and then started a light snow the past few hours. We are supposed to get another 12" tonight and then 4 - 12" tomorrow and possibly a few more inches Sunday!

Between last week and this week's storms we already have over 6 feet - so I'm about plowed out.

CHUCK - From what I understand from my friend in Rawlins WY, I 80 has been driveable, but if I were you I would probably not risk trying I - 70 (40) tomorrow. It's going to be a mess from what CDOT says. It wold also be a good idea to have chains with you and emergency accessories. If it were me, I would change my plans about driving this weekend - so be careful.

Alan

We will drive my wife's 2001 Durango 5.9 with new Goodrich All Terrains. I have a set of front chains but may pick up a back set. We will definately stick with I-80 but have to go back to get the kids as they have school on the 2nd. If we have to stop overnight we will plus I can check the DOT cameras all the way across Wyoming and Colorado.

I do appreciate the info from both of you. Will keep you informed on how it goes.

The chains just sparked a thought.

Chains and tires will be relatively hard to find in Colorado stores, and snow shovels impossible.

Along with any extra emergency stuff - consider bringing your own snow shovel in case you get stuck around town or the foothills.

Conditions are quite fine here now, and it really depends on what happens tonight or tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast