Good joomla/mambo component or module for CJ?
    Hello everybody!

I did a search on this forum but didn't find a thread for this;-)

For those of you running joomla/mambo affiliate site, will you share your knowledge and experience of good extension/component/module for CJ program? Specifically, if I want to display some content relevant ads on the sidebar, preferably stacked logos or specific products, how would you do it?

Thanks,

I'd recommend running a phpadnews ad server and possibly carving out 'zones' in your joomla site template to run the ads into. With this setup, you can manage all of your affiliate links in a central location yet feed pages or websites all over the place with ads like the big boys do. If you don't want to run your ads into your template, you could just grab the html module and set the position to fit somewhere that makes sense. The standard joomla banner module doesn't cut it when you want to go the next step, so I wouldn't bother with it either.

Arrow Re: Default Good joomla/mambo component or module for CJ?
    Are you trying to use the HTML links or the Java links from CJ?

Affiliate-Assist.com is a Joomla site and we run CJ ads in our banner rotator just fine.

--Brian
    Last edited by loxly; December 28th, 2006 at 08:11 AM. Reason: removed manual sig

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by assist.com
    Are you trying to use the HTML links or the Java links from CJ?

Affiliate-Assist.com is a Joomla site and we run CJ ads in our banner rotator just fine.

--Brian
    Brian, you have had your manually added signature removed from every post and apparently haven't noticed. Signatures come with time and participation, please stop adding them to your posts.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I was searching for similar thing the other day and would like to hear some input. There seemed to be a lot of security discussions with CMS, so I kind of gave up, but would like to hear some fresh view points. Debbie, I think you stated you steer clear of CMS because of this (in an old post)? Are there alternatives? Hope this in not a hijack, but an add-on to the OP.

thanks
    mel

There are security issues for websites no matter what platform you use, when delivering a database driven site.

Joomla works very hard to ensure a safe platform, and most of the issues come into play with 3rd party components as opposed to the core Joomla script.

You can learn more about that here: New Joomla Version or the 3rd party security forum here: 3rd Party Joomla Issues

CMS is meant, of course, to make publishing a website easier. If you can do it on your own, however, without a CMS, it may be the best route to go.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

And more diredtly to the OP, what would be nice is for someone to deliver a datafeed component for Joomla. I've reached out to the J! community on a number of occasions, without success.

If there's any good PHP programmers out there interested in developing a commercial (i.e. not free) component to handle this, drop me a line. I have one sketched out ready to go. I just can't program my way out of a paper bag
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Hey Kevin,

Have you ever placed a freelance job out on elance? There are other sites as well to find someone to do custom coding.

Your idea sounds good. Worth a shot.

Thanks for asking. There's actually several projects we are considering submitting to the Tech school here for inclusion in their Thesis program. And this is one of them. Gives a kid a crack at doing something interesting, and we get work from someone who still has the cutting edge stuff fresh in his/her mind.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    CMS is meant, of course, to make publishing a website easier. If you can do it on your own, however, without a CMS, it may be the best route to go.
    What other alternatives are you thinking of?

I too have been curious about/interested in Joomla as you can see by
    this thread I started and by my participation here

Using Joomla would be an entirely diffferent way of website creation for me.

So, Noth, are you saying that the manual Dreamweaver way is still viable?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

So, Noth, are you saying that the manual Dreamweaver way is still viable?
    That post was in response to security issues in a OS CMS... Much like why Firefox wasn't as vulnerable as IE for a long time, hackers will target the path of most potential. If 1,000,000 sites use Joomla, and only 1 uses your original code, who are they most likely to find and hack?

When my Joomla site got hammered, it wasn't because of Joomla itself, but a weak 3rd party forum add-on. My search logs revealed that hackers were targetting sites with this add-on by actually googling the code in the module itself.

That wouldn't happen with a home grown site...
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    If 1,000,000 sites use Joomla, and only 1 uses your original code, who are they most likely to find and hack?

When my Joomla site got hammered, it wasn't because of Joomla itself, but a weak 3rd party forum add-on. My search logs revealed that hackers were targetting sites with this add-on by actually googling the code in the module itself.

That wouldn't happen with a home grown site...
    Thanks, Noth, your answer makes sense and also your insight about hackers googling a specific code is quite interesting.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread